Siletz Bay

B
bweb
I'm going to be in Lincoln City Aug 8-11. Are there any salmon/steelhead running up the mouth of the Slietz at that time? If so, any suggestions on what to use to catch them? Any help is much apprecaited. Thanks in advance.

K
Kodiak
There is only one spot in the bay you can reach without a boat. That spot is off the beach near Mo's. Watch where they throw the crab traps. If you have a boat, spinners and herring along the the spit from Salishan to the mouth. Above 101 bridge about 1oft from the pilings on the left if you are facing upstream. Then upstream from there, there are a small group of houses again on the left side after the pipeline stay close to the road 15 ft or so Can also be fished from the bank. This hole is called Ironworks. Fish in here this time of year run 20 to 60 lbs.and tap like a trout. Next is duck point, right hand side of the river angeling upstream at a 45 degree angle, aim for the big rocks on the right side, about 40 ft. deep. most fish are suspended here between 20 and 12 ft. Follow this side all the way up to coyote rock. I'll let you know when they get past there.

B
bweb
Thanks so much. I have a 17 foot boat with trolling motor that I'm thinking about bringing. Do people use divers with the herring or do they use 4-6 ounce cannonballs and bounce it off the bottom? I have spinners and also have no problem using herring.

K
Kodiak
It's not really deep enough fot divers. We run 2oz and 3 oz cannonballs on an 18inch dropper, blue, purple and black label cut plugs. the key to this river is to go slow(0.5 mph to 0.8mph). I would run one herring with a verry tight roll, the other with a big slow roll. If I have 4 people in my boat, I run the two outside rods with spinners, the two inside rods with herring. Get your boat speed right (slow, drag a couple of buckets if you have to), check your roll at speed, then drop them to the bottom. Stop your spool with your thumb for about 30 seconds, then drop your gear to the bottom again. this should put you around 60 ft or so behind the boat. every so often you should be able to pull your rod out of the rod holder, drop your rod tip toward the water, and feel your weight hit the bottom. We do this for spinners and herring both. K-16 quick fish or flat fish also work well here (silver/chart., gold pirate, blue pirate, green pirate, pink, red)along with trolled woblers like clancy's, or simons.

B
bweb
Thanks so much. I apprecaite it. I'm hoping to get a few buddies their first salmon.

K
Kodiak
That early part of august can be hit or miss, some of the bigger tides will be more productive...Good luck!