Sighting in new and old guns

S
strawberry shortcake
Hey folks,

First off, what are your preferences for sights based on calibre, leaf, peep, or scope? And what is your best advice on sighting in guns, up close or far away, and what if its just you? Sometimes I prefer a rock over a store bought target. Even better is a ground squirrel. But you don't know exactly how far away the critter is.

Also, anyone with experience using the laser bullets?

Last edited:
C
capblack
i dont base my sights on caliber as much as what the gun will be used for. if its a gun i plan on using for a brush gun like a slug gun or a lever, i prefer iron sights, or a very low power fixed power scope with a large fov. if its a gun i plan on shooting in the open at 100 to 150 yds minimum, i prefer a scope. a good all around scope in my opinion is a 3-9x40. i normally use bolt guns or single shots for this job. and as far as yards go, once you get it on paper, i like to sight scopes in at 100 yds minimum. i sight in about 2 inches high at 100 yds. as far as a target goes. paper only to get it sighted in, then you can shoot rocks. good luck, Brian

troutdude
troutdude
Hey shortcake...don't forget to sight in your double barrel lamiglas rod before the season kicks OFF! LOL

S
strawberry shortcake
Went to a military style sanctioned range shoot Saturday (prone slow, prone rapid, sitting rapid, standing slow, no supports of any kind other than sling and knees on some of the positions). They bent the rules a bit and allowed me to site in my Marlin bored for 35 Remington ammo with a new scope (had a peep site taken off Friday because it wasn't stable enough to handle the recoil) before the shoot started. They gave me three shots and my boyfriend did his best to adjust the scope. At the end of the shoot I came in dead last but got every shot on the paper target and none in the dirt. Even managed one bullseye and most of the others in the black and outer rings. A few landed on the paper outside the rings. I was able to account for all shots. Not bad for a newbe. I'll take it and am proud of it.

S
strawberry shortcake
Went to a cowboy shoot Sunday equipped with bird-handled 6 cylinder .38 that I am buying from my boyfriend, my boyfriend's Henry .45 rifle, and a borrowed Winchester 1904 pump shotgun with looonnnggg barrel. Ended in the middle of the pack which is my best score up to now. LOVED the shotgun. Didn't miss a single shotgun target and I didn't take a long time to get through them. NO kick! And it looked like a well-turned out long, slender woman. One like it WILL be mine and I can't wait to get my first game bird with it. Sweet, sweet, sweet shotgun.

H
Hawk
SS, Congrats on your good shooting. :):):cool:
:clap::clap:
:dance::dance:

S
strawberry shortcake
Ordered my Henry .357 rifle today (so I can carry around matching ammo). Heading for an egg shoot this weekend with my trusty .22 rifle. My dream of owning a shotgun will wait for next season.

G
GoldFishSlayer
I love shotguns haha...as far as the sighting goes its hard to sight in a gun on 3 shots if you got a bench or something to bag down on helps a ton i always make three shots then check and adjust if needed I shoot three times to make sure where im hitting has some consistency once you can shoot nice groups with your new gun then start moving the groups ( sometimes I will shoot three rounds then have my dad or brother shoot 3 rounds just to make sure nobody is jumping) I sight all my bigger rifles in at a hundred yards and the scopes I have have bdc in them to match my round so on I know for sure that hundred yard mark id dead on 200 is +2 inches o three hundred is -2 and 400 is 0 again it just helps in taking the guess work out of where to hold on those longer shots.. If you study the ballistics of your gun and ammo and the average sizes of the animals or targets you shoot you can do the same thing like my 300 win mag I know is dropping around 18 inches @ 400 yrds so if I have an elk in my sights i put the cross hare right on the top of his back and let him have it. Remember it dont really matter a bit what kinda yardage you sight your gun in at as long as you know your gun and what its doing at the different ranges. I strongly believe the single most important factor of being a confidant and accurate shooter is knowing your equipment and its limitations as well as your own as for me I can grab any gun out of my collection and know exactly where to hold to hit my target I believe this kinda knowledge is priceless....sorry for writing a book on here

S
strawberry shortcake
You make good points. Thanks!

S
strawberry shortcake
Well, I made it to the kitchen Saturday morning, made a steaming pot of coffee, poured some of it into a cup and filled with rest with real Irish Cream, then went back to bed. It was witch teat cold and I twern't about to shoot no eggs until MINE had warmed up. Well, after that first cup of coffee, I had another. By then I was ready for a nap. For the rest of the day.

S
strawberry shortcake
Turns out the weather was so bad they couldn't finish the egg shoot until this past Sunday. So my love and I showed up for the long range shoot. Silly me, I brought my lever action Marlin 35 remington. The weather was great and the wind quite calm. Got a good pattern at 300 yards with a simple scope (not dialable). Couldn't hit anything further than that (the next round was at 600 yards). So I switched to my boyfriend's M-16 and started hitting the target. The last rounds were beyond 700 yards. I couldn't hit it and couldn't even tell where the misses were landing. Had tons of fun and learned what my 35 remington was capable of doing. Those hornady bullets sure can put a big hole in paper targets. No question I could take down a big elk with that little rifle, and I won't have to be right on his tail.

C
cookshot
strawberry shortcake said:
Silly me, I brought my lever action Marlin 35 remington. The weather was great and the wind quite calm. Got a good pattern at 300 yards with a simple scope (not dialable). Couldn't hit anything further than that (the next round was at 600 yards).

Thats a pretty impressive range with a .35 rem. I've got a Marlin just like that I just use for a brush gun. Big bullet, lots of drop. Elk shouldn't be any problem, I think they use them for moose in some places.

S
strawberry shortcake
I went to the cowboy shoot with my love and my new Henry's .38 rifle. The shoot judge helped me sight it in good enough for the shoot. With my revolver and my Henry's along with my love's long single barrel pump shotgun, I came in 10th out of a field of 20. Not bad for a greenhorn. Even though the stock was so long on the shot gun that the padded recoil end of the stock kept getting caught on my...well...er...um...shirt pocket when I tried to take it from my shooting stance to reload. The audience kinda got out of hand laughing. Especially when I tried to explain that it was getting caught up on my... shirt pocket.

And one more thing, without going into details, there are angels looking after my love and I.