Sight fishing for bobbers.

G
Growbug
Back at the Creek today but this time I had my polarized Cocoons on (Amber), WOW the scene is different! So, fished hard with a couple of 'tap taps' but nothing real hard.

Got to one structure and i see a bobber underwater by the side of the boulder. Hmm thought me, I'll fish this rock and then wade in and retrieve that bobber (recycling and getting crap out of the river.)
So, couple of casts at the near side of the boulder and i look up and notice that the bobber has moved over one rock. Hmm, thats weird.
So, started throwing my bobber n jig 8ft upstream to see what happens.
About the 3rd or 4th cast my bobber goes darting under and i see my bobber, and the one under water move swiftly across stream. OK.. SET THE HOOK.
The fish was on for about 30-45 hard seconds. I saw it, a nice bright chrome steelie, quite largeish then i felt slip slip and the line went slack. I looked across and saw the original bobber hit the surface and float downstream.

I had hooked the line and not hooked the fish!!

Y
youngbuck307
Lol that's great!!

G
Growbug
No Hofficer, it wasn't snagging.. see, there is a hook inside its mouth. OK, its not MY hook, but my hook IS connected to the line that's connected to the hook in the feeshes mouth.

B
BobbiDollPDX
I left a winter like that in the Wilson in February. I was bringing it in but my line had wrapped around the handle on my reel and it snapped! Later that day we were chatting with someone at the take out and he started telling us about this monster steelhead he saw roll that was dragging a bobber behind him.

B
Bucknasty
Thats hilarious! I suppose that makes sight fishing for chrome that much easier ; ) Cheers, Bob

J
JeannaJigs
Witnessed an incident like this happen from my boat on the Alsea this year...only it was a 35 pound chinook.The guy on the bank across from us had a big fish on, and it broke him off. Some 30 minutes later, person I was fishing with says fish on...reels in, and it's a float...at that point we realize it's the fish that broke the other guy off. The line was held in my hand and i could feel heavy headshakes until it was tied to the other rod and he fought it for some 40 minutes before she finally came in. I still don't know how the knot held, and how the line didn't break, as it was like 15 pound test to a 12 pound leader that was loaded with abrasions. Simply. Epic.

R
rippin fish lips
my first steelhead i caught on the willy, had already beek caught but some drift fisher (not dissing on drift fishers) but he had hooked it before me, i waste casting a thomas spoon and hooked the steelie clean in the mouth. got it landed and saw about a foot of line hanging out of its mouth, looked down in the gills and see a hook buried in the gills of the fish!

S
skunk
Nice, that's a good tip for those who don't wear polarized glasses. Look for the bobber.