Side Drifting

N
nativefish
Just wondering what some of your favorite side drifting baits and lures are? Ive used pink worms, yarn balls, corkie yarn, shrimp tails, eggs, etc. want to try usings some coon shrimp but was hoping i could get some new ideas from everyone.

D
durantmatt
Pink worm with a chrome corky when its sunny

J
jathrtn
I like to drift marbou flies tied on a #2 for steel. some times i use prawn tails too. eggs will also get r done. seen ppl use sand shrimp as well. corkys seem to be productive. the best thing that i have found is to keep it simple, there is such a thing as over kill. Here are a few examples of types fo flies that i drift that have been productive for me.

• DSCN0344 (640x480).jpg
Last edited:
S
SantiamDrifter
Yarn balls have probably produced the best for me, then egg's. I've tried pink worms in higher off color water before. You can sidedrift coon shrimp if you want, the only problem is keeping them off the bottom and in the strike zone. Bait doesn't float therefore you need to add floatation like a puff ball or corky. I dont like corky's for a couple reasons but its tough to use a puff ball on a shrimp. Adding floatation make's your bait look natural and keep's your hook from dragging the bottom, limiting the amount of times you snag up.

J
jathrtn
Well I have to say i agree with you about bait not floating and using something that will give it buoyancy but when i drift bait i use smaller amounts of eggs/prawns (not to familiar with coon shrimp). I have had a lot of hook ups using bait only without corkys or anything to help it float. i think that if you use the proper amount of weight to skip across the tops of the rocks, i think that the current keeps the bait from ever dragging. when i feel the weight hit the rocks i will slightly pop up the rod tip occasionally throughout my drift.

S
SantiamDrifter
The biggest mistake people make is to use too much weight. When it comes to sidedrifting, I'd rather be drifting faster then too slow. I'll run egg's without floatation when I'm slide gliding, but I like to keep the puff balls on when I'm side drifting.

N
nativefish
I run eggs without floation and snag as much as a do sidedrifting a pink worm or something that is bouyant, I think the statement about proper weight is dead on. Do you ever side drift and pick up salmon? I personally never have but imagine they would take some form of bait. Anyone want to give up their yarn ball colors that have worked well for them in the past? I like orange with a little blue or pink or green in em personally...

M
mrlindeman
Depth is allways a huge problem with me :( I like corkies and yarn with anise and shrimp scent :) Still have not got a steel though

A
alseaalumaweld
yarnies have floation yarn floats. small hunk of eggs keep it simple white pink red orange. 3 shot of 250 shot slinky seems to work a lot side drifting. i bobber fish if i need less weigth then that

A
alseaalumaweld
side drifting will get salmon. but back bounceing would get you more or float fishing. salmon dont seem to be in hole where side drifting would work that great

A
alseaalumaweld
whats your guys favorite side drifting, rods, reels and line??

M
Mad dog
alseaalumaweld said:
whats your guys favorite side drifting, rods, reels and line??

I like Rogue rods, 9 ft., 4-8 lb. or 6-10 lb., Shimano Stradic 2500 reels, and 10-12 lb. Trilene big game.

A
alseaalumaweld
i like lami 9,6 4-8 and 6-10 15lb power pro

M
Mad dog
nativefish said:
I run eggs without floation and snag as much as a do sidedrifting a pink worm or something that is bouyant, I think the statement about proper weight is dead on. Do you ever side drift and pick up salmon? I personally never have but imagine they would take some form of bait. Anyone want to give up their yarn ball colors that have worked well for them in the past? I like orange with a little blue or pink or green in em personally...

Spring Chinook will deffinetely eat sidedrifted baits!!! We caught 2 this year fishing the tail end of the winter run! Spring chinook on the move occupy a lot of the same water you will find steelhead in. Proper weight is critical but is no more important the boat control or how you fish the baits. Too much weight is the most common mistake I see on the river! Another mistake is the anglers holding the rods not letting the baits fish properly....don't set the hook too much!!! The the bait fish naturally as possible, once the rods load up you'll know when it's a bite, setting the hook too much ruins the drift and spooks the fish!

I think the size of the bait is also important....sometimes probably more important than color or leader thickness. I like mellow blended yarn, baby pink, shrimp pink, peach for lower, clearer flows and brighter, darker colors with more contrast for higher more colored water.

Last edited:
A
alseaalumaweld
all great info. i agree with you

A
alseaalumaweld
come on someone gota have something??? favorite yarnie colors??

R
RunWithSasquatch
I did real well this year on the Alsea for winters with the purple UV steelhead stalkers yarn. Yarnies drifted, and under float, with a little anise. Good stuff.

A
alseaalumaweld
ya i never got any uv yarn till after winter was over. idk about it i seem to like glo bug yarn better