Shrimp hooks

F
fish_4_all
Anyone make their own? I have made some that seem to work pretty good.

What I did was take a long shank hook and cut a piece of floral wire that was 3 times as long as the shank. What I then did was tie a make a snell wrap over the wire from the eye making it as long as possible to make sure the wire was secure pulling it tight and cutting off the tag end leaving a 2-3 foot leader. I think I used 12 pound test for the tie. That's it. I can now thread any type of bait onto the hook and wrap the wire aorund it so that it stays on really well and even lasts through a descent bite if I don't set the hook too hard. Will post a pic once I find them again or tie another one.

ShrimpHook.jpg

Here it is, what does everyone think?

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
Hmmm. I dont get it, you tied a peice of wire on your hook with a snell knot, is that what your saying? I can't really tell in the pic. Looks like the hook is the same color as the wire so I can't tell. The background makes it harder to see I think too.

F
FishFinger
I believe what he's proposing is a way to secure a shrimp to the hook, actually it's quite ingenious.

I've always rigged "old school" running the hook through the shrimp and securing the tail at the second to last segment with an egg loop. Then I slide a red or orange puff ball over the hook shank to keep it in place. Looks almost like the shrimp is feasting on a egg.

I usually can get 10+ casts before re-baiting if a steelhead hasn't eaten it already.

F
fish_4_all
You are right, is simply a Snell hook tied over a wire. Fishing in fresh water I could probably cast a shrimp forever and not lose it unless I set the hook or get a good bite. Fishing salt water it keeps the shrimp on long enough so you can hook a fish before it rips off the shrimp. I don't use this hook in fresh water but maybe I should try it. I use it for ocean fishing for perch, sea bass and kelp green ling.

Sorry about the terrible pic, it took me over 30 different tries to get that one. I suck at taking pics up close. Will see if I can get the other hook to turn out better. Is a bronze hook so maybe it will show it better.

I think this picture shows it better.
ShrimpHookBronze.jpg

You can either make it that long so that oyu can wrap the bait or make it shorter so you just take it over the bait and wrap it around the shank, either one works. I have caught 3 kelp greenling on the same shrimp since starting to use them.

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
Thanks for the great idea, I am going to tie up a few and I'll keep you posted on its fresh water effectiveness...

F
fish_4_all
I have been trying to come up with a way to tie in elastic thread with a small clip on the end to make it easier to rebait instead of having to uncoil the wire every time. I have not been able to get the things I have tried to stay down and not move up the shank crushing the shrimp.

Any thoughts?

F
Fishtopher
Maybe a dab of hot glue as a stopper...the last pic was much better btw.

F
fish_4_all
Ya, I finally got lucky after taking a couple dozen more pictures. I guess I need to treat taking pictures like I do fishing. Cast enough times that the fish simply get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.

F
Fishtopher
FishFinger said:
I've always rigged "old school" running the hook through the shrimp and securing the tail at the second to last segment with an egg loop. Then I slide a red or orange puff ball over the hook shank to keep it in place. Looks almost like the shrimp is feasting on a egg.

Dan, that puff ball thing is great stuff! Good idea! Ive always just used stretchy thread to secure all my larger baits. Maybe someday one of yall could show me an egg loop. The only knot missing from my arsenal...every time I try one, I end up with a snarled mess.

F
fish_4_all
I can help with the egg loop I hope. It is one i was shown here a couple years ago and I love it.

Take the main line you are going to use and wrap the shank of the hook starting from the eye about 1/4-1/3 or more down the shank. Have a piece of 40-50 pound test about a foot long folded in half ready. Once you have the line wrapped, hold onto the line to keep it tight and lay the heavy line loop along the shank past the end of the hook holding the ends. Wrap another 8-10 loops or more around the heavy line. Now put the end of your line in the loop of the heavier line. Pull the end of the line through the wraps you made around the heavier line. It helps to wrap the main line a little light around the heavy line so it pulls through easily. Run the main line through the eye of the hook and pull lightly to tighten up the whole thing.

I know it is a vague description so if you have questions let us know.

I like this one a lot better than a simple Snell hook because the loop is kept away from the eye of the hook so it doesn't pinch off the bait. I will get a picture of one ASAP.

You can do something as simple as tie a snelled hook and pull the tie down the hook away form the eye and it will work about the same. The tie has a tendency to slip back up and that is why I have started using the other way.