Shrimp for bait?

S
Shallowbay
Anyone know if shrimp is effective for any of the fish at Hagg? Just curious. Thanks!

- Shallowbay

M
Moe
I don't know the answer to your question, but I like your signiture, lol.

S
Shallowbay
Thanks! I was just curious because I saw some guys a while back catching stocker trout at Sheridan Pond with Sand Shrimp. Wondered if anything else would be interested. I'm going to try tomorrow. I'll let you know if it does.

- Shallowbay

M
Markcanby
I would say yes after seeing a kid at Canby Cond catch his limit in like 20min with plain shrimp from Fred Meyer

S
Shallowbay
Hah! See that's what I wanted to hear, because I was going to try plain shrimp from Winco! Nice. Thanks!!!!

- Shallowbay

F
fisherofmen
when I went icefishing in Alaska I always had good luck with popcorn shrimp on a leadhead jig for rainbow, dollies and lakers. also had good luck at ten mile lake for the hybred bass with raw shrimp. good fishin

S
Shallowbay
No luck!

No luck!

Tried 4 hours out at Hagg. Caught one 10" stocker. No other bites on anything. I tried all the normal stuff. Power eggs, Power Bait, Spinners, Kastmasters, etc. I was using a 36" leader at the suggestion of the lady that works at the little lake store. I forgot my bait tie stuff that I use for sand shrimp so I couldn't keep the shrimp on the hook well enough to give it a good try. I'll try next time I go out there. Tried Scoggins area as well for perch or bass, but to no avail. Saw some guys fishing for cats way out, however, they weren't hitting either. Hagg is getting to be very disappointing. That used to be my "go to" spot. It seems since the water is higher the fishing is far worse. Last year when it was lower I did very well. I guess they have more areas to hide with more water to cover. Oh well. At least I didn't get skunked!

- Shallowbay

Last edited by a moderator:
G
GDBrown
What time of day were you there? I usually have my best luck late in the evening, like 8PM or later. I would say real early also but I don't get up at the butt crack of dawn as my daughter use to say so I don't know about a morning bite.

GD

O
OrdinaryGimp
butt crack o'dawn

butt crack o'dawn

GDBrown said:
What time of day were you there? I usually have my best luck late in the evening, like 8PM or later. I would say real early also but I don't get up at the butt crack of dawn as my daughter use to say so I don't know about a morning bite.

GD

The only time me or my wife has caught anything is at first light.
I haven't done so well, but my wife nailed two 1-2 lb small mouths on a spinner last Fall near the handicap doc.

I think that there's something to the bass bite at Hagg during the mornin' Golden Hour. With a boat, I suspect that it'd be a derby!

Please, be kind and cover your butt cracks. If you can't get up early, just stay up.