Shrimp cures

F
FishSchooler
Anyone have any good (and really simple) shrimp cures? I know that salt is a easy cure, but I only have table salt (not iodized). The shrimp that I'm using is farmed and the kind that you would eat and not fish with, which I think is ok to use for fishing, but I dont think it would catch anything yet because it is frozen and you know, not very appealing because it is plain and the kind you eat.

M
meluvtrout
Li'l buddy, save your money for Amerman's steelhead cure. $7-$8 over at Lake Oswego Joe's and very easy to use(just picked up some yesterday)...
Thaw your shrimp in a bucket.
Pour a small layer of cure over them.
Flip them over and pour some more cure.
Add some Kosher Salt or Sea Salt.
Put them in ziplock bags.
Done.
If you're going to use them the very next day refrigerate if not freeze them.

F
FishSchooler
meluvtrout said:
Li'l buddy, save your money for Amerman's steelhead cure. $7-$8 over at Lake Oswego Joe's and very easy to use(just picked up some yesterday)...
Thaw your shrimp in a bucket.
Pour a small layer of cure over them.
Flip them over and pour some more cure.
Add some Kosher Salt or Sea Salt.
Put them in ziplock bags.
Done.
If you're going to use them the very next day refrigerate if not freeze them.

Dont have kosher or sea salt. I also heard that amermans doesn't work too well... I might just use them raw (or salted) for the natural thing they would eat. I have three baits to use for drifting in my head, eggs, shrimp, and worms.

F
fish_4_all
I cure them the same way I cure my eggs.
1 cup pickling salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup borax
1/8 cup Siberian or other egg cure in whatever color you want
1 quart water

Mix it all together and put the shrimp in it. Let them color up mixing or shaking it up once in a while for 24 hours then you drain them and set them out to dry until they feel a little rubbery but not drying out. Bag them up and refrigerate or freeze in air tight bags or jars.

F
FishSchooler
Guess I have to either salt them up, use them raw, or go shopping.

O
osmosis
shrimp, usually get softer if you freeze them.
I always reccomend against freezing unless it is your only option.

Everyone has so far left out a VERY important step in crustacean curing.

S
Snagged
osmosis said:
shrimp, usually get softer if you freeze them.
I always reccomend against freezing unless it is your only option.

Everyone has so far left out a VERY important step in crustacean curing.

And that is????

Troutski
Troutski
Do tell...

Do tell...

Snagged said:
And that is????

Yea, whats up with the teasing.....whats the forgotten step ?

Chuck

O
osmosis
You guys don't exactly give me much incentive to let you in on the secret.

snagged: I believe I recognize your name from quality fish adventures or something, whats to stop you from just spreading the word all over?

I just wanted to get you guys to use your brain. Eggs milk/juice and then reabsorb cures. shrimp do not. Now, figure out how to get you cure IN, not just on the shrimp and you'll have some good bait.

E
EastCountyRookie
Egg Cures

Egg Cures

So what do you guys believe is the best?

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
I just wanted to get you guys to use your brain. Eggs milk/juice and then reabsorb cures. shrimp do not. Now, figure out how to get you cure IN, not just on the shrimp and you'll have some good bait.

Inject the cure into them? If you are talking about the shell not letting the juices in, just shell them. Or you could take a knife and make slits in them so the juices go in.

Well how come when we cook shrimp, we marinate them in some sort of soysauce based mixtures, then when we eat it, the insides are the same color as the outsides?

Oops, I forgot that we cook it inbetween marinating and eating :doh:

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
No Cure

No Cure

Don't cure the poor little shrimp. Thier shells are naturaly UV reflective. If you go curing them then you have to pay some guy like me to figure out how to put it back on there. That UV is a trigger for fish, you are better off using your moms groceries, besides they are cheaper that way and you always have a snack.

F
FishSchooler
Regular farm raised frozen white shrimp will still have the natural qualities of a regular live shrimp? I might need to get them hardened somehow though.

F
fish_4_all
When I cure mine the color goes all the way to the core.

I have believed and still do though that a good salad shrimp raw with the shell is ognna be the best for bait. The shell feels natural and the shrimp are just the right size for a nice bait. Now if I can ever get ahold of 20-30 pounds raw I will be in business.

F
FishSchooler
fish_4_all said:
When I cure mine the color goes all the way to the core.

I have believed and still do though that a good salad shrimp raw with the shell is ognna be the best for bait. The shell feels natural and the shrimp are just the right size for a nice bait. Now if I can ever get ahold of 20-30 pounds raw I will be in business.

Would farmed white viatnamese shrimp be a good salad shrimp? Just go to costco, you'll find all the shrimp in the world. :cool:

F
fish_4_all
They might but I want fresh, right from the ocean. Cure head and all. I have tried many times to catch the shrimp boats when they come in but everytime I call they have either just left or have unloaded already.