Shrimp as trout bait

J
jordanshadow
Went to harriet lake 11/26/11 and decided to try some store deli bought raw shrimp for kicks. Cut small chunks off and secured with an egg loop on a number 6 hook sliding weight rig with number 12 black corkie for flotation. I limited out in less than an hour:shock:. My dad through power bait eggs and only landed two in 4 hours, haha! Fun trip and good to know that shrimp makes good trout stocker bait. Its also surprisingly resilient.

edit: oh and a funny story. I set the hook on a fish and broke my line due to a damaged line. 5 minutes later I pull in a fish and notice not only my hook in the left corner of his mouth but my previous hook in the right side of his mouth!

Reactions: Raincatcher
18406ej
18406ej
Welcome to OFF, jordanshadow! I had never considered shrimp as a trout bait, although I have used it on steelhead in the past. It does seem to be more resiliant than PowerBait, doesn't it? And with none of the PowerBait residue either!

Welcome again.

R
rippin fish lips
Shrimp is killer trout bait cooked or raw!! nice report man

J
JeannaJigs
Haha man my brother and I used to use the little tiny salad shrimp when we were kids back in the day up at carmen reservoir....We always used it cooked...he would start eating them, I'd have to hit him and tell him to quit eating the bait...ahhh the good 'ol days. Been about 17 years since I used shrimp for trout.

M
mrlindeman
I had to use smoked salmon as bait when I was young and had the same problem. I wound up hiking back to camp to get more cause I ate it all.

I have never tried shrimp for trout though. I have some and will try it today. :)

J
jordanshadow
One of the greatest parts of using the shrimp as bait is that it was super inexpensive. I bought a 1/4 of a pound for $2 and used less that half. That's a dollar worth of bait for a days fishing! Let me know how you works for your mrlindeman.

I saw the cocktail shrimp but they were cooked. I wasn't sure if the trout would still like em. Good to know they do!

J
JeannaJigs
Oh yes...trout like them cooked. Steelhead do too. Cook 'em up, toss 'em in some pro-glow, make 'em glow neon pink...Just don't eat them after you make them radioactive.

M
mrlindeman
I have some whole uncooked shrimp soaking in Pautzke necter now :) :) I think they would be great chooped up and put on micro jigs for trout, as well as some stalkers jigs for steelhead. I still have not caught a steelhead so im trying a lot now. Mostly float fishing.

J
jordanshadow
I have been practicing all the needed techniques to catch steelhead by fishing for trout this year. I have learned the basics of fishing spinners, spoons, drift fishing, float fishing, jigs etc... I have also learned all the knots, proper rigging, and presentations. Starting January I'm ready to go for the big boys, i have my new lamiglass rod and a berkley air noodle rod with a full setup for float fishing jigs/bait and for drift fishing.

I think my year spent fishing for trout, especially on the rivers, has prepared me well for the coming year.