Should you be quiet when fishing?

LadyoftheLake
LadyoftheLake
Can fish hearl loud voices and boisterous laughter? Will it scare them away from your fishing spot?

18406ej
18406ej
I remember reading in a fishing book that noises above the water, such as voices, are deflected and not carried beneath the surface. Noises made IN the water, such as rock-thrown splashes, propellers and etc. can be carried beneath the surface for some distance, and may scare away the fish.

Reactions: Oregonchris
F
fish_4_all
Never cared about above water noises. Under water, yes and driving on a gravel bar that is right on the spot you want to fish is bad too. I have seen entire holes full of summers empty out for an hour after some one drove down 100 feet from the hole.

During the 4th of July a couple years ago there was fire crackers and other stuff going off all over the place and still caught fish so I don't think out of water noises matter much.

D
Dichrofisher
Whenever I drop something in Troutski's boat he yells at me and curses, no just kidding, but I always wonder if it travels through the aluminum, I amsure it does...

Reactions: OnTheFly
H
Hawk
som fish kin heer & som cain't...................................:lol::lol::lol:..............................:cool::cool::cool:

j/k...............:D

R
redhawk50
I would say sound waves out of water probably bounce off of our are absorbed without effect by the surface of the water. A tuning fork held over water will not effect the water surface. Sound waves in water will transfer some of that sound energy into kinetic energy the rest staying as sound energy will travel through the water so you get sound waves and physical water waves. So a bump in the bottom of the boat would result in that sound being sent into the water which could scare fish where as a radio in the boat, as long as the bass isn't shaking the boat, would not effect the fish.

But to truly test it. Fish a day with the radio cranking and fish a day in the same spot without the radio and see what happens. Oh and try to control all the other variables as well: same bait, aprox. water temperature, outside temperature etc. Maybe I will get one of my students to study this....

D
Dichrofisher
redhawk50 said:
I would say sound waves out of water probably bounce off of our are absorbed without effect by the surface of the water. A tuning fork held over water will not effect the water surface. Sound waves in water will transfer some of that sound energy into kinetic energy the rest staying as sound energy will travel through the water so you get sound waves and physical water waves. So a bump in the bottom of the boat would result in that sound being sent into the water which could scare fish where as a radio in the boat, as long as the bass isn't shaking the boat, would not effect the fish.

But to truly test it. Fish a day with the radio cranking and fish a day in the same spot without the radio and see what happens. Oh and try to control all the other variables as well: same bait, aprox. water temperature, outside temperature etc. Maybe I will get one of my students to study this....
Even gotta hold your mouth the same way.:confused:

M
Mike123
Well one time while on East lake... we we're heading back for shore and my dad had his line un hooked and his worm was dangling down and bouncing off the water. We had the 8hp motor wide open and were going at a pretty good pace, when out of no where a NICE brown trout jumped out of the prop wash and grabbed on to the worm. Almost ripped the rod out of the rod holder! :shock:
So I don't think fish really care...

O
Oregonchris
I hope not...cause Im not quiet.

F
fish_4_all
Big fish love to follow boats and run in their wake. Have caught 75% of all my salmon while trolling by hitting fish that were running the wake. 3/4 aint bad but it is a shock when they hit so close, they bolt fast and ahrd for a long time. But that was slow trolling. Never had that happen at speed.

D
Dichrofisher
At Lake Billy Chinook I was trolling a worm in a Barefoot Nautique boat at about 15 mph LOL and caught a trout, he wasn't a bad skier if I dont say so...:cool:

M
mlw
I like the theory that it is pretty noisy underwater, and agree that noise made in the water (wading, splashing, dropping something in a boat) are more problematic than talking, etc.

I like being quiet on the water for another reason - it improves the fishing experience. Its like how you want a crowd at a golf tournament - quiet. If I am quiet I can hear the birds, or the splash of a fish, etc and feel more part of the river.

I also have a pet peeve - powerbait users that slap the water with their hook to remove the powerbait. - I've seen several folks do this, including a fishing buddy (soon to be former fishing buddy if he keeps it up) and it drives me nuts.

Michael

LadyoftheLake
LadyoftheLake
Yes. Maybe that's it. I was worried that my fun-loving and often animated husband was scaring all the fish away. I thought, he'd never make it with deer hunting!

Still trying to figure out how to catch fish. We'll have an OFF party when I finally land my first fish!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
M
mikeredding
18406ej said:
I remember reading in a fishing book that noises above the water, such as voices, are deflected and not carried beneath the surface. Noises made IN the water, such as rock-thrown splashes, propellers and etc. can be carried beneath the surface for some distance, and may scare away the fish.

I have to disagree. I used to do a lot of snorkeling and have heard plenty of noise while below the surface. Think about swimming in a pool when you were a kid. Could you hear the other kids laughing and screaming?

And yes noise travels through a boat. I used to dive for fishing gear near the boat docks at Hills Creek Res and you would believe how noisy people are in boats.

O
Oregonchris
mikeredding said:
I have to disagree. I used to do a lot of snorkeling and have heard plenty of noise while below the surface. Think about swimming in a pool when you were a kid. Could you hear the other kids laughing and screaming?

And yes noise travels through a boat. I used to dive for fishing gear near the boat docks at Hills Creek Res and you would believe how noisy people are in boats.

That settles it, I will never laugh or yell while fishing again! Funeral services for Oregonchris will be held next Monday. BYOB.

M
mikeredding
Oregonchris said:
That settles it, I will never laugh or yell while fishing again! Funeral services for Oregonchris will be held next Monday. BYOB.

LOL:lol:

D
doublestrike
I always like to seranade the fish at the lake by playing the stereo, They don't seem to mind much one way or the other, but put some good ol' 60's stuff on and they seem to bite bertter. Yeah really.:cool:

18406ej
18406ej
mikeredding said:

I have to admit, the book that I used as my resource was an older tome from the Salem library. An internet search as I desperately tried to prove my point seems to favor mikeredding's theory that voices DO carry underwater, to some degree. I say that we meet up at the hatchery and yell at fish just to be sure that I am wrong.

M
mikeredding
18406ej said:
I have to admit, the book that I used as my resource was an older tome from the Salem library. An internet search as I desperately tried to prove my point seems to favor mikeredding's theory that voices DO carry underwater, to some degree. I say that we meet up at the hatchery and yell at fish just to be sure that I am wrong.

Now I am not saying that the sounds scare the fish, only that they do travel through water.

D
Dichrofisher
mikeredding said:
Now I am not saying that the sounds scare the fish, only that they do travel through water.

That proves Mokai's famous fish call, "Here trouts, heeeeere troutinskis, troutsi, troutsis." End Quote:D