Should Triploids really be considered as state/world records?

F
fishfry
While I wouldn't mind catching a GIANT triploid they also kind of **** me off. First of all they are not a wild trout and in my book are a step below planted trout as well (not that there's anything wrong with planters). I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that the world record "rainbow" trout is a 40+ lb triploid. How was this even considered for the record books? It's like genetically altering a deer that will grow twice the size of a natural deer in your lab then setting it free, shooting it and calling it a record buck. If they begin actually introducing these trout in numbers what will this do to our native trout as well as other species? Where does it end? I would rather catch a 5lb native any day of the week that a 30lb genetically altered beast. This is just my humble opinion and I'd like to hear what others think on this matter :)

T
Thuggin4Life
Totally agree. Also a stocked brooder shouldn't count either. if the fish grew up in the environment put was planted small then it would be ok unless it was a triploid. My new goal is to grow a bass in the backyard pool only feeding it one kind of food. wait for it to be record status and release it in a local pond then use the food of choice for bait and have a record. same thing as odfw growing a huge rainbow then planting it in a stocker pond at the end of its life cycle and you catching it for a record. Time to start feeding the local deer growth hormones and roids for a few seasons.

B
bigsteel
they should never be considered a record fish

H
halibuthitman
we should't keep records... fish for yourself, love, healing... but never fame... imagine.. you catch the world record bass, you start the seminar tour, 2 years later your hiding in a closet with buzz ramsey in the back of cabellas strung out on cocaine and ancient age in nothing but realtree camo underwear looking for the cops and crying...

B
bigsteel
halibuthitman said:
we should't keep records... fish for yourself, love, healing... but never fame... imagine.. you catch the world record bass, you start the seminar tour, 2 years later your hiding in a closet with buzz ramsey in the back of cabellas strung out on cocaine and ancient age in nothing but realtree camo underwear looking for the cops and crying...
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

J
jeffcycles
Ramsey always seems really hyper..... Just Kidding

H
halibuthitman
Jimmy Houston..... coffee....or the cain? and what about that other kid who looks like the lead singer of alice in chains.... He's gotta be on a blast cocktail for sure! this will end my portion of the hi-jack...

S
steelhead_stalkers
I think what a lot of people don't realize is that triploids are sterile fish. This happens less than 1% of the time in the wild and many believe that a lot of the world record fish are actually sterile or triploid fish! The world record steelhead was caught out in the ocean while trolling for salmon. This fish was more than likely sterile and never planned on returning to a river, it was just roaming the ocean feeding. I think tripliod fish should have their own record assigned to them that is separate from native fish in the wild. ;)

H
halibuthitman
steelhead_stalkers said:
I think what a lot of people don't realize is that triploids are sterile fish. This happens less than 1% of the time in the wild and many believe that a lot of the world record fish are actually sterile or triploid fish! The world record steelhead was caught out in the ocean while trolling for salmon. This fish was more than likely sterile and never planned on returning to a river, it was just roaming the ocean feeding. I think tripliod fish should have their own record assigned to them that is separate from native fish in the wild. ;)

the steelhead you speak of was caught in Behm canal... by an 8 yr old... and was most likely a Naha, or Karta river fish.. two of the largest body size steelhead runs in the world at the time, on the karta the wier crew has measured 40+ lb fish several times over the years, and I have personaly seen seine caught Naha fish that were almost to the lake opening weighing in at over 40 lbs, to assume it wasn't gonna spawn is a huge assumtion.. there are over 220 steelhead creeks and rivers within 50 miles of where that fish was caught, 150 of those rivers and streams have less than 20 people a year on them, some zero.. almost no access and limited fishing spawn monster steel there, and im sure the world record has been broken in british columbia or alaska several times, by guys who just didn't realize it.. and let them go.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yeah, I am not saying that every WW fish is sterile just that many could be and that it does happen. Its been shown that a rare % of fish are born sterile in the wild and those fish would grow to be much bigger than regular fish. They would feed and not use up energy on spawning. Massive browns caught out in the great lakes as well as many other massive fish could very well be sterile. I am not saying every record fish is but many probably are, not that it matters because they are all wild fish and not made up in a lab! ;) Big difference between those sterile fish in the wild and those made and planted in lakes!

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
I don't see any reason a triploid could't have its own catagory... lots of fish are mutant hybrids... and if I caught a 46# clipped hatchery steel.. you can bet your a** im gonna submit it for a record! ;) wasn't tryin to be argumenative on my earlier post, kinda reads that way...

C
ChezJfrey
halibuthitman said:
I don't see any reason a triploid could't have its own catagory... lots of fish are mutant hybrids... and if I caught a 46# clipped hatchery steel.. you can bet your a** im gonna submit it for a record! ;) wasn't tryin to be argumenative on my earlier post, kinda reads that way...

I agree and it only seems fair.

Since triploids are specifically bred in a way that will have it vastly outgrow a natural fish and unnatural numbers are released into the wild population, you can't really compare the two. But if catch size records are being kept, a person that catches a large natural fish can't really compete, but would normally have been able to if not for unnatural intervention. But also, since the triploids are out there, a person that catches a large specimen of that population should also be eligible for a record of that type.

The logical answer in my view is to categorize the records for triploid and non.

troutdude
troutdude
halibuthitman said:

ROTFL hysterically!!! Dam, that was FUNNY!!!

...and I also vote for separate categories.

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
Yeah, I should definitely add that the scene halibuthitman painted is a riot!

F
fishtales
Lots of interesting stuff here. It does not matter to me. A fish is a fish and a tripod is a tripod fish. With that being said I think they should be allowed to be state or world record but only as long as everyone know this.

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:

LOL. you crack me up brad. and uhh..triploids suck! GO NATIVES WOOHOO!

G
Growbug
halibuthitman said:

Locked in a closet with Buzz Ramsey in nothing but underwear...... Damn you would need that cocaine.
I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Nice picture you painted.

Oh.. yes, +1 for a separate category