Shooting sea lions

A
Alan
This stems from a post on the great video posted recently on catching LingCod and sea bass from a Kayak. One response stated something about a .22 taking care of a Sea Lion. My question, if someone feels their life is in danger, like in the ocean fishing from a Kayak and a Sea lion threatens them...... is it legal to take lethal force to save your own life?

G
Gulfstream
I would consult O D F W for that question

4labs
4labs
I guess that wasn't a proper statement.
If you knew some of the commercial and sport people I hung out with as some do you would understand.
Seals, sea lions are a protected creature in the sea and under no circumstances can be shot, that doesn't mean they aren't.
I in no way advocate the killing of them or encourage others to do so.
Roger feel free to delete that post

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I did carry a paintball gun on my kayak for a while until I had enough encounters with big sea lions and realized that it's easy to just calmly talk to them, they are just being curious, or upset they just missed stealing a fish. As it turns out, they were much more aggressive on Friday when I hit the west end of Simpson reef with a friend from CoosBay. We both had some big adults pop up close enough to splash water on us. Didn't get any on video of the sea lions but a nice still frame of a common murre flying by as I am jigging there (and not finding the big lingcod I was hoping for in a honey hole out there. I did find a limit of large black rockfish but they were spread out, no schools out there this week. Crab seem to be spread out also, one pot was a blank, the other had 5 solid keepers).

WVcK7ko.jpg

cheers, roger

Reactions: beavis
Irishrover
Irishrover
November 29, 2017 In United States v. Wallen, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (Ninth Circuit) recently held that a defendant charged with killing a grizzly bear cub in violation the Endangered Species Act enjoys a complete defense if he “actually, even if unreasonably, believes
his actions were necessary to protect himself or others. "

If one seriously believes they are at risk of injury or death the prudent thing to do would be be to take the appropriate action to stop the animal.

Last edited:
Aervax
Aervax
Pepper spray is on the NOAA approved list that is linked to Roger's posting. So is a starter pistol with blanks. Some of my kayak close encounters with sea lions have been erie and too close for comfort as well. More like a curious mob gathering too close for comfort than a feeling of aggression to their presence though. I might add pepper spray to my kayak kit, but doubt it will ever be needed. Probably more likely to need it for a human maniac than a sea lion. It doesn't hurt to be prepared.

A
Alan
Thanks for all the replies! I have lurked here for a while and what a great group of friends and professional attitudes on this board! I fished a lot in the 80's and 90's, while my four sons were growing up and just getting back into now after a 15 year absence from putting a line and rod in my hand. I am very interested in becoming more educated on Kayak fishing, roger's video are great! I have seen Sea lions still fish off a line, chase a fisherman's fish onto a beach as it was being landed and the results of sunk boats and docks due to Sea Lions. So is we're the thought of being in a Kayak, several hundred yards from shore and having a sea lion decide to come aboard your kayak to get your fish. I think pepper (bear) spray would be a good piece of equipment to keep handy on you vest. While I don't want to see Sea lions wiped out I do approve on the actions finally being taken to help control their numbers and eliminate the nuisance lions....... it's a start. I doesn't sound like Sea Lions capsizing Kayaks is much of a problem. Thanks again, Alan

Reactions: beavis
Aervax
Aervax
This one comes darn close to landing on a kayak. Funny and scary at the same time.