Shimano symetre..help me!?!

B
Bucknasty
Ok i need some help here, this time not mentally! So i have multiple reel setups ranging from trions to stratics, but my symetre has given me nothing but problems! After an hour or two of fishing this reel on a jig and float setup it becomes extremely "Gritty" almost as if a bearing is smashed or dirt is in there preventing it from retrieving smoothly? Then just as quickly it will function smooth again! I do not intentionally stick the reel in the dirt or water and i am tired of having a 40$ trion out perform a 90$ reel. Has anyone had this problem, or did i get a lemon? I definitely need it serviced but if this is consistant im gonna throw away the reel and replace it with a bi mart trion ;) Cheers, Bob

T
TTFishon
I have the same issue with mine too.

J
JeannaJigs
I've heard of others having the same problem, I was looking into getting one myself, but was talked out of it. Honestly, i've gone the expensive reel route, and my cheap little bimart reels do the job just as well, and when they eventually die, you don't feel so bad about it.

Troutski
Troutski
Shimano

Shimano

Stradic :dance: :dance: :dance::clap:
Sorry I may have said too much

Chuck

H
Hawk
Some of my Mitchell & Abu Garcia reels come with a tube of oil lubricant & a wrench tool. It's possible your reel needs a little lubricant or cleaning.
:)

S
steelhead_stalkers
Shimano will fix any problem you could ever have with a reel and a lot of times for free. Next time you are looking to spend $90 on a reel step up to the saros, its one of the best reels you can get from shimano especially for $100! My bro in laws has been going strong for four years and its never been cleaned. I would say that the bearings need to be cleaned but I would contact shimano and see what they have to say.

B
Bucknasty
Thanks everyone your all very helpful, thats what i love about this site! As for the reel... sounds like its a natural born turd! I have lubricated it many times without a change in result and your right troutski, i love my stradic!!!
Sounds like the symetre will be going for a field trip to shimano.I hope they can make it work, even though its not my frontline reel its nice to have the extra equipment! Cheers, Bob

C
Chedster
I had the same exact problem you are describing. I tore it down numerous times to clean and inspect it. I finally took the blue friction ring out of there and have yet to have a problem with it. I switched my spinning reels over to pflueger presidents and have had better luck.

G
Green_Tackle
That's interesting. I have 3 Symetres and none of them exhibit this problem. I've even dunked them in sand, mud, saltwater and they're all running smooth as day one (though I do clean and oil them after such abuse). Do you guys who are having this issue know which year you bought your Symetre?

T
TTFishon
Green_Tackle said:
That's interesting. I have 3 Symetres and none of them exhibit this problem. I've even dunked them in sand, mud, saltwater and they're all running smooth as day one (though I do clean and oil them after such abuse). Do you guys who are having this issue know which year you bought your Symetre?

I boaught mine last year around Christmas

B
Bucknasty
Jan 2010 : ( two bros said they will fix it for 22$... Alright : )

T
TTFishon
That's good to know. Thanks.