Shimano reel suggestion for plunking?

D
Danny662boy
I'm using a daiwa sealine 12' rod and have been using a shimano saros 4000 from my river/bobbing/lure rod to alternate between the two. What is a good suggestion for a reel to use for the plunking rod? I was thinking about maybe getting a shimano Sedona and using that for my bobbing rod and keeping the saros
(with braid) for my daiwa.

Suggestions please. Not trying to break the bank either.

O
OnTheDrop
I would use a baitcaster for plunking! Any reason why you are choosing a spinning? The Sedona is a sweet reel for the price which requires minimal maintenance. I use a few for bobber/jog fishing for steelhead.

D
Danny662boy
Already have a spinning rod. Bait casters were not for me

S
Steeliekiller
For plunking I would recommend an abu in 6500 series, great reels.

D
Danny662boy
specifically i'm looking for a salt water reel, that has a high gear ratio, EASY on the wallet, good line capacity, and a good fit for my 12' daiwa sealine surf rod MH rod the weigh is 1-6 oz on it... Also would you recommend 20 lb mono? 30# braid? i'd use fluro leader for steelhead, and heavier line for salmon...

Last edited:
T
Tinker
Daiwa makes some saltwater spinning reels, but I don't know much about them. Cabela's offers two (Sea Striker?) reels that are built by Daiwa, but have one or two extra ball-bearings, respectfully, and people like the Cabela's versions more than the Daiwa reels. Wright & McGill (Eagle Claw) make two salt-water rated reels, one is the Skeet Reese Vistory, and they are very good reels. I had a Skeet Reese Victory in the 2500 size for a short time and was extremely impressed with it - it was built like an M-1 Abrams - but for the small 2500-sized reel, the handle and grip were too robust and heavy for how I like to fish, so I gave it to my brother - who hasn't managed to break it catching carp. They go up to 6000-size, I think.

I was looking for a 5000-sized spinning reel and was surprised by how sparse the pickings are. People offer Pflueger President XT's in that size on eBay, and my smaller, 4000-series hasn't had a problem in 18 months of saltwater dunkings.

I'm rather fond of Shimano's Symetre, and it's saltwater ready, but it tops out at the 4000-size. I think the Sahara is a better reel (I've snagged PowerPro braid behind the chrome-plated bling at the back of the Symete and that bling isn't on the Sahara) but it also tops-out at the 4000-size.

The Wright & McGill, Sahara and Symetre are all under $100, with the Sahara being the least expensive. Of the three, I'd prefer the Skeet Reese Vistory over the Shimano's. A President XT is in the $80 range and is a bargain at that price, but they are damned hard to break down for greasing and maintenance.

I'm not big on the Penn reels because you can't disengage the anti-reverse on most of them, but the Battle is a great reel, too.

Last edited:
D
Danny662boy
If I look into a saltwater reel that could hold a bit more line and go over $100 I'm fine with as long as its reasonable. I know these begin in the 5000 and go up

T
Tinker
Almost all of the Shimano freshwater reels are "Shimano approved" for saltwater use, but finding an affordable model larger than 4000 is the trick. If I remember correctly, Shimano offers the Sustain and the Stradic FJ in sizes larger than 4000, but those aare spendy beasts.

Sorry, I don't know very much about dedicated saltwater/off-shore spinning reels. I've picked them up and played with them, but I don't own or use any of them. Shimano has a line of spinning reels speciifically for off-shore/saltwater use costing from around $70 up past $1,000 (w-a-y past $1,000). The Ultegra has the gear ratio you hoped to find, but it's priced around $200 - and you can find a Stradic FJ 6000 for a bit less than that.

The folks I know use Daiwa, Penn and Cabela's reels. They aren't Shimano's but - if it helps - the Cabela's reel is painted white, just like a Stradic... ;)

Good luck. Let us know what you choose?

D
Danny662boy
I will check it out!

T
Tinker
Is there a reason you're thinking about reels larger than the 4000's? When I was sort-of-shopping them, I didn't notice a great deal of difference in the amount of drag pressure between a 4000 and a 5000-sized reel, and the differences in line capacity didn't justify the jump in price.

I looked at how much line fit on an Ambassaduer and matched a salmon spinning reel to that.

D
Danny662boy
Just because I'm trying to pair it to a 12' surf rod. I have a 4000 shimano saros on it now (which I was using for my 9'6 medium light river/bobber/lure rod which may be a bit overkill but dunno

T
Tinker
Danny662boy said:
Just because I'm trying to pair it to a 12' surf rod. I have a 4000 shimano saros on it now (which I was using for my 9'6 medium light river/bobber/lure rod which may be a bit overkill but dunno

Okay, kind of makes sense, and I was wandering down the same path until I understood that a 5000-size (and above) limits the choices - but I use a 9-foot surf rod, and the 4000's size and weight balances well with that rod, plus it has more than enough line capacity (with PowerPro) for anything I'm likely to hook from the beach.

Just saying: if your 4000-sized Saros fits and balances and works for you, staying with that size gives you more choices.

Good luck and happy fishing.