Sheridan Pond

S
Shallowbay
Sheridan Pond is my favorite place to fish for stocked trout. For those of you that haven't been out there in a while ... at the end of last year they apparently closed it, drained it, killed all the vegetation and the re-filled entire pond with new water a fresh stockers. It has been stocked several times since then. It used to have terrible overgrowth and a huge bug problem. It is 100 % better now that they serviced it.

I consistently have pretty good luck at Sheridan and it is always a busy place. Especially on weeks it gets stocked. I was out there Saturday and got 4 bites with no success and landed two fish both 14 inchers. One was with char power eggs and the other was with spring green powerbait.

I wanted to ask others who frequent the pond what they have had luck with. My setup when not using a lure is 4lb test, slip sinker and a steel leader about 16" long. I always start with eggs that I have added glitter to and Berkely Trout scent. This seems to be a solid setup and works well. I cast out about 20-25 feet and let the line go limp. I then wait and when I see the line tighten ... bam I usually have a fish on.

When the fish are liking lures, I have had luck with silver Kast Offs (generic Freddies Kastmasters), assorted generic rooster tails and these crazy little lures I got at Target that have a fish head, a blade and some fiber optic colored feathers.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

C
capblack
sounds like every stocker pond in oregon. wait until they stock it, and toss some power eggs, or spinners

brandon4455
brandon4455
my coisin went a week or so ago and caught a few 12 inchers. i might have to go try it out since i don't live too far away.

S
spark
Could you give me a direction?

Could you give me a direction?

Hi Folks,

Well, I tried to find this pond according to ODFW (SHERIDAN POND - From Hwy 18, take exit 33 to Balston Rd turn right and then a left to the pond), I got lost last time. Could you give me the point from the Google Map?

What I found last time, it's called Chandler Lake. (OR-18 W/Salmon River Hwy to Chandler Lake - Google Maps)

Could you give me the right direction on the map?

Thank you.

S
Shallowbay
That looks right on the Google maps. If you are having trouble finding it ... look up the directions to the prison in Sheridan as it sits right next to the pond. You can actually sit there and watch the inmates walk around and hear them talking on the intercom it's so close. It's not a huge pond, but it's a lot of fun fishing it. The wind can be pretty mean so I would bundle up.

The majority of the people fish around the little picnic table/concrete driveway area because that's where the truck backs up to dump the fish. I prefer the far side where your back is to 18. Not as crowded and the results are always pretty consistent.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep, it is the farthest pond back down that gravel road. It is right next to the Federal Penn. So, I fish w/ my back to that and face the town...much more scenic than barbed wire.

I did extremely well last year w/ Lemon Lime (yellow n' green) Power Eggs. I used a size 4 egg hook, with two of those and a sliding/slip sinker. I dabbed on some Berkley Trout Jelly (green or orange), along with a squirt of liquid trout scent. I used 6 lb. main line, w/ 3' of 4 lb. leader. I also did well with Bubble Gum (pink & white), White, and Char Power Eggs.

This is my "go to" rig, for all stocked lakes.

T
tangov559
is this the same pond as Pacific Plywood Log Pond?

troutdude
troutdude
There is no evidence to me, that Sheridan Pond was ever a log pond. It's right next to the Federal Penn.