She died

J
JeannaJigs
So uh. My driftboat died this weekend, and I need some input/suggestions on repair.....

Long story short, a fully loaded cooler on a long bumpy road, stored behind the rowing seat...busted the glass when it decided to start bouncing around

I eventually wanted to reglass the entire interior, because it's a bit rough, and about 16 years old now, and just needed a facelift. However, I can't really afford to do the entire thing right now. Sooo was thinking of just patching the fractured spot for now.

I've never worked with fiberglass, and have no clue about what I even need....but I gotta do it. Can't be too hard? Rightttttt? It's not a big area....

I don't care how crude it looks, it's behind the seat, and no one's ever gonna see the bottom.

Saddest day of my life.

I'm going to go mope some more now...

B
BobbiDollPDX
BOO! :(

I'm sorry to hear that Jeanna. I don't know anything about fiberglass but I bet the guys on here will either have great advice or be willing to lend a hand.

I hope you get it fixed soon! :pray:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
^^^^^^x2 :-(

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks guys...

I'm slowly mourning the loss....

Perhaps this is the best way to keep me from re-injuring myself though...'cause I had planned on doing a couple drifts this weekend, and, realisitically, that's probably not the best idea, I know my doctor basically forbid me from any such activity....

Stilllllllll...it makes me very, very sad.

B
bigdog
Jenny girl it's not hard to use fiberglass. Go to the auto parts store and tell them what is up they can point you in the right dirrection. The glass comes with instructions on how to use it. It's a little bit of work but some of us have faith in you.

G
GDBrown
Jeanna,
Sorry for your mishap! If you can post a few picture of it I may be able to give you some directions. If your too embarrassed to show everyone the put them in a PM. Basically I need to see how long and how much area is damaged. Best if I can see from the bottom and the inside mark it with a black felt tip marker if possible. If may not be as difficult as it looks.

GD

J
JeannaJigs
GDBrown said:
Jeanna,
Sorry for your mishap! If you can post a few picture of it I may be able to give you some directions. If your too embarrassed to show everyone the put them in a PM. Basically I need to see how long and how much area is damaged. Best if I can see from the bottom and the inside mark it with a black felt tip marker if possible. If may not be as difficult as it looks.

GD

It doesn't look bad at all, it took me a while to figure out that it was a leak, and not water floatin' around from my crappy plug situation. I was perplexed as I had a new non damaged plug, and upon hunting around discovered the error of my cooler hauling ways. I make it sound terrible lol, but it's small...but it never leaked before so it was a very disheartening discovery, and one that I don't want to let worsen.

and I will get pictures of it when I get home and send 'em to ya. You'll laugh, 'cause, there's not much to see...

J
JeannaJigs
bigdog said:
Jenny girl it's not hard to use fiberglass. Go to the auto parts store and tell them what is up they can point you in the right dirrection. The glass comes with instructions on how to use it. It's a little bit of work but some of us have faith in you.

Yeah it's not hard to use, if ya know how to use it ;) and aren't challenged ;) I failed arts and crafts in the girl scouts, until I got kicked out....we won't go there...buttttt... yeah. I can draw your blood with my eyes closed, but ask me to do this kinda stuff, and i'm soooooo incredibly lost, it's ridiculous. We'll see what happens LOL

B
bigdog
Well just make sure to buy plenty of sand paper then lol

J
JeannaJigs
bigdog said:
Well just make sure to buy plenty of sand paper then lol

That really isn't very promising!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Jeanna,don't want to rain on bigdog's parade....but I thought it would be a small challenge fixing the boat floor...WRONG!!! The stupid stuff set up before I was even close to ready and gave me a nasty rash,made me look stoned and didn't work...so,make sure you pay attention so you can show me how to do it. lol

J
JeannaJigs
Raincatcher said:
Jeanna,don't want to rain on bigdog's parade....but I thought it would be a small challenge fixing the boat floor...WRONG!!! The stupid stuff set up before I was even close to ready and gave me a nasty rash,made me look stoned and didn't work...so,make sure you pay attention so you can show me how to do it. lol

LOL!! GREATTTTTT. Lol I'm so encouraged right now. So does someone want to fix my boat for beer or some jigs or something lol? I'm grasping here....

troutdude
troutdude
JeannaJigs said:
LOL!! GREATTTTTT. Lol I'm so encouraged right now. So does someone want to fix my boat for beer or some jigs or something lol? I'm grasping here....

Sorry to hear about your dilemma Jeanna. I"ll bet that someone out there will swallow a hook baited w/ beer & jigs! LOL

F
fishnquest
Yum, fiberglass...

Yum, fiberglass...

I may be able to help you. I will be traveling through on Thursday or Friday, Sep 2 or 3. Its not that hard. You should probably get some fiberglass cloth; it helps a lot with strength across breaks. Timing is pretty critical when mixing the stuff up and it is messy. Being the medical type, you should have some of those throw-away gloves; those things are great for this kind of work. And there is sanding involved. If you have an auto paint store around, they have some trick stuff that will help the process a little if the job requires multiple layers (and most do) and (for me) its the only place to find fiberglass cloth. I have worked with it quite a bit; its never something I particularly look forward to. I always have to wrap my mind around it and get mentally ready. The first time I did it eons ago, I ended up just like Barb's description. Its impossible to mess up, really. The great part is, if you mess it up, you can sand it off and start over! Well, if you have an air compressor and a DA sander :lol:

T
Thuggin4Life
go to jerrys and buy some cloth. then cut pieces to size. then get some kind of aplicator for it. kinda like a epoxy or resin and its 2 parts. mix some up and aply and let dry then aply more and so on. also some sanding before and after. dont mix up to much because it drys quick. I could try to help if you get the stuff but i dont have much experiance and it wont be pretty.

J
JeannaJigs
Well I'm gonnaGo to the store tomorrow and pick up the stuff to do it, and rather than go fishing this weekend, will try fixing this dang thing by myself...wish me luck lol

F
FishFinger
Jenna, look into West System( West Marine: Search) @West Marine

I had no experience with fiberglass either, prior to using the west system stuff. Honestly is super easy, no vapors to speak of when working with it. If you use the 205 it hardens quite fast (20mins).

18406ej
18406ej
All I can add is protect your skin and lungs vigorously. Wear a good mask or respirator, tape your shirt cuffs down, and wear good gloves. The worst experience of my life (other than insulating under my house) was the painful rash caused by the fiberglass dust and fibers.

Good luck Jeanna!

H
Hawk
Sis,
If you have a junior college in your area that has Body Shop Classes. ask the instructor if someone in the class can repair your boat.
Years ago we did repairs 'free', or cost of material.
:D