Shasta Boat Trip

N
Ntofishing
I am planning on going down to Shasta Lake this next month and would rather take my boat. I don't know the boating laws down there and was wondering if any of you would have some insight on this.

Is it legal to take a Oregon licensed boat down there? Do you have to buy something to make it legal? Is it worth dragging all the way down there? Is my Oregon boaters card recognized down there?

C
colbypearson
Ntofishing said:
I am planning on going down to Shasta Lake this next month and would rather take my boat. I don't know the boating laws down there and was wondering if any of you would have some insight on this.

Is it legal to take a Oregon licensed boat down there? Do you have to buy something to make it legal? Is it worth dragging all the way down there? Is my Oregon boaters card recognized down there?

as far as i know your good to go make sure you get a cali fishing license and you may have to do some type of mussel and invasive water species check but i am not sure might just be a few of the other nor-cal lakes i would launch out of packers bay if i were you there is some big trout in there i get tehm when im bass fishing up to 4lbs :) kinda fun every once in a while there is some big ones in there as well as german browns and land locked salmon, check the reports to see how fishing for them is....try calling phils prop out of shasta lake city, CA

troutdude
troutdude
Like Colby said plus:

If you haven't fished there before, I'd suggest reading up on the reg's for both your licensing, and for boating information. Then you'll have the correct information as they say...straight from the horses mouth. I'd bet that all of that information is available online like here:

California Department of Fish and Game

Department of Boating and Waterways

N
Ntofishing
My inlaws live less than 30 mins from the Jones valley ramp so if I take it down Ill launch from there. I will be down there for 4 days so I thought it might be a good idea to try it with a boat. Every other time I have fished it has been from the shore with no results except my brother in law hooking one of thoes big trout. I think Ill give Phil a call.

T
Throbbit _Shane
What species are you gonna target? Id try for the land locked salmon, they get huge there. Good luck!

N
Ntofishing
Throbbit _Shane said:
What species are you gonna target? Id try for the land locked salmon, they get huge there. Good luck!

Ill go for anything I can catch. I am not picky. LOL!! I would love to get into some of thoes salmon. What is most likely is that I will be doing a lot of bass fishing. If I catch it right it will be the pre spon bite on top water lures. The last time I tried that lake I just missed it and they moved to their beds and had the "lock jaw". Saw some BIG fish but they would not bite.

C
colbypearson
Ntofishing said:
Ill go for anything I can catch. I am not picky. LOL!! I would love to get into some of thoes salmon. What is most likely is that I will be doing a lot of bass fishing. If I catch it right it will be the pre spon bite on top water lures. The last time I tried that lake I just missed it and they moved to their beds and had the "lock jaw". Saw some BIG fish but they would not bite.

shasta has been really tough this year so far i would doubt many fish would commit to a topwater within a month i would say your best bet would be slow moving plastics on the bottom, try topwater early in the morning maybe as well as a lucky craft staysee ripbait, a senkos wacky rigged is good to just cast it out and let it sink

N
Ntofishing
colbypearson said:
shasta has been really tough this year so far i would doubt many fish would commit to a topwater within a month i would say your best bet would be slow moving plastics on the bottom, try topwater early in the morning maybe as well as a lucky craft staysee ripbait, a senkos wacky rigged is good to just cast it out and let it sink

Thanks for the tip. Thoes techniques sound good. Another I like is the old bass assasin used on a stiff rod to get an eratic action out of the bait. That way I can adjust speed to the conditions.

C
colbypearson
Ntofishing said:
Thanks for the tip. Thoes techniques sound good. Another I like is the old bass assasin used on a stiff rod to get an eratic action out of the bait. That way I can adjust speed to the conditions.

ya, if the water is as clear as it has been be prepared for tough fishing try a 3.5"dry creek tube in crazy eddie color with a 1/4oz round ball gamakatsu jig head inside the tube throw some pro-cure crawfish scent on it and that always seems to work if you put in enough time, like i said give phil's a call and see what the conditions are maybe stop in the shot they will have everything you will need and more its an incredible tackle shop if i were you i would go there just to see how much stuff is there i prefer phils over any bass pro shops its loaded floor to ceiling with tackle and the good stuff too

N
Ntofishing
colbypearson said:
ya, if the water is as clear as it has been be prepared for tough fishing try a 3.5"dry creek tube in crazy eddie color with a 1/4oz round ball gamakatsu jig head inside the tube throw some pro-cure crawfish scent on it and that always seems to work if you put in enough time, like i said give phil's a call and see what the conditions are maybe stop in the shot they will have everything you will need and more its an incredible tackle shop if i were you i would go there just to see how much stuff is there i prefer phils over any bass pro shops its loaded floor to ceiling with tackle and the good stuff too

Awesome!! Ill have to. I think I remember seeing it from the HWY on other trips I have made. Have you ever used a 3" sassy shad with a 1/4oz darterhead jig in that lake? I have used it on other fish and it has worked well.

C
colbypearson
Ntofishing said:
Awesome!! Ill have to. I think I remember seeing it from the HWY on other trips I have made. Have you ever used a 3" sassy shad with a 1/4oz darterhead jig in that lake? I have used it on other fish and it has worked well.

darterheading any soft plastic works good this time of year also