Shark bait?

K
Kodiak
I've been hearing stories of Chinarks at bouy 10. Guys getting ready to land coho and then a big boil comes up and eats thier fish, rods taking OFF an reels screaming ripping OFF 125 yards of line before poping. The one that got me though was a storie I heard about the guy actually seeing one come up and take the fish right off his rope while he was bleeding it on a rope in the water...what do you guys think..Possible at B10? and if so can you troll a cut plug coho for bait?jk..what would you use to catch one?

L
lizardman
Use Chicken or other inexpensive meat. You might want to let it get a little on the stinky side. You could also go to the fish market and use fish heads (I am sure they would only charge you a small fee.) which is what we used to do to bait crab pots in Yaquina Bay when I was a wee lad.

Now the question is would this be catch and release or are you planning on having shark fin soup?

Dave

K
Kodiak
Depends on what it is...if its edible I might club it, if its something I don't recognize I might hang on to it until I get a cop over, or I might just film it to prove they are or arent there and kick him loose to eat more fish. Option "B" would be to turn him loose in a gill net..they won't be too happy when that net comes in..hehehehehehehe. I wonder if it has to do with the seals ending up at boneville and willamette falls.

F
Fishtopher
My experience with sharks, limited as it is, no way do you club 'em!!!:lol:
Its a knife, rather big one, straight down into the head.

But ive only seen a few landed, off a wharf in Santa Barbara.

N
ninja2010
Fishtopher said:
Its a knife, rather big one, straight down into the head.

yeah, that... but tie off at the tail and drag 'em backwards for a bit to drown 'em first... then the stab... and be careful, coz they can still snap when that blade plunges in.

if they're in there, they'll come to you if you chum with stinky rotten fish, buckets of chicken blood and guts. then free drift a big chunk of bait and hold on tight. most exciting sight-fishing i've ever done.

M
metalmania
I've heard ex's make excellent shark bait:D.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
food chain...?

food chain...?

Crawdad>trout>salmon>seal>shark...seems about right:lol::lol:

B
beaverfan
About three weeks ago I heard that a coast guard helicopter spotted a school of a couple hundred blue sharks just out from buoy 10.

T
Troutier Bassier
Use a Seal, Cat, Dog, Coho, Carp!, Chicken, Beef chunks, Pork meat....

A
Anyfishisfine
Probably anything works.

In Okinawa we were trolling for Tuna, and it was my turn at the pole when the drag started screaming. I grabbed the pole, stuck it in the gamble and settled into the chair for what I thought was going to be an hour-long battle.

About 5 minutes into it the line went limp, but I noticed something bouncing in the water. I reeled it in to discover I had the head and upper torso of a tuna.

A few minutes after that a HUGE 12'+ shark swam up to the boat to say hi.

We caught his buddy, which led to one of my favorite fishing stories.

I gaffed it and brought it into the boat. And stepped back to get the blood off my glasses. So my buddy John decided to remove the hook, He grabbed the leader in one hand, and with a pair of pliers went to pop the lure out.
About then I noticed John struggling with something. The lure was about 6" long, and had 2 sets of hooks almost as thick as your pinkey.

One set of hooks was in the shark's mouth, and the other was firmly embedded in John's arm. It wasn't a huge shark, about 4' long, but it's jaws were plenty big and he was REALLY pee-pee'd[/COLOR].

So I reached down and grabbed the set of hooks in John's arm and pulled as hard as I could. The hooks came out along with with some flesh. He thanked me and is very proud of his scars.

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Troutier Bassier
That brings back bad memories.

A
Anyfishisfine
Troutier Bassier said:
That brings back bad memories.

If it makes you feel better, I was reminded of your experience as I was typing it. But I don't think your dad yanked yours out. John took it well. He wrapped it up and kept fishing. That was our pact on the boat. Only go back to port if someone will die otherwise. Bleeding don't count if it can be stopped.

K
Kodiak
Anyfishisfine said:
If it makes you feel better, I was reminded of your experience as I was typing it. But I don't think your dad yanked yours out. John took it well. He wrapped it up and kept fishing. That was our pact on the boat. Only go back to port if someone will die otherwise. Bleeding don't count if it can be stopped.

I would love to go play with them...too bad you can't chum in oregon inside of 10mile line for shark or something rediculous like that. Just trying to figure out the legistics. I wonder if you could do it off the south jetty and stand your ground and fight?

A
Anyfishisfine
I think the key is finding them. We never targeted them on purpose. Their presence meant lousy fishing for what we were really after.

But once spotted, they will take any offering. We were once trying to catch them on hand-lines with bits of our lunch but they would just bite through any sort of mono.

K
Kodiak
Probably why B10 is so on again off again right now....I wonder If I could do it on a big enough spinner:lol:

A
Anyfishisfine
They will go after artificials. The one we caught after the tuna was bit was caught on a artificial squid. But they go nuts over bait and will circle the boat waiting for it after they get a taste.

Even if you can't chum, blood soaked, oily fish should ring the dinner bell if they are in the area. Either that or the sea lions will pay a visit.

F
Fisher.King
Anyfishisfine said:
Probably anything works.

In Okinawa we were trolling for Tuna, and it was my turn at the pole when the drag started screaming. I grabbed the pole, stuck it in the gamble and settled into the chair for what I thought was going to be an hour-long battle.

About 5 minutes into it the line went limp, but I noticed something bouncing in the water. I reeled it in to discover I had the head and upper torso of a tuna.

A few minutes after that a HUGE 12'+ shark swam up to the boat to say hi.

We caught his buddy, which led to one of my favorite fishing stories.

I gaffed it and brought it into the boat. And stepped back to get the blood off my glasses. So my buddy John decided to remove the hook, He grabbed the leader in one hand, and with a pair of pliers went to pop the lure out.
About then I noticed John struggling with something. The lure was about 6" long, and had 2 sets of hooks almost as thick as your pinkey.

One set of hooks was in the shark's mouth, and the other was firmly embedded in John's arm. It wasn't a huge shark, about 4' long, but it's jaws were plenty big and he was REALLY pee-pee'd[/COLOR].

So I reached down and grabbed the set of hooks in John's arm and pulled as hard as I could. The hooks came out along with with some flesh. He thanked me and is very proud of his scars.

I wish my shark story was as leet as that... I was on a beach cleanup and found a couple shark eggs in the dried up flotsam at the high water point... another 100 feet down the beach I noticed a dark lump a little further up the beach. It was a dead shark. That was another time when I wasn't big enough to have a choice in obeying a mothers command of "If you touch that I'll tan your hide!" Maybe next time.