Shakespeare Synergy Reel

K
Kage
So when i moved up here to Oregon, my gf bought me an Ugly Stick combo to get me out fishing since i missed it so much. it's a Shakespear Synergy reel, worked great but eventually i had to add new line. i had trouble spooling the new line onto it and must have overfilled it. now the pin won't catch the line when i crank the reel. is there anyone that can help me fix this reel? i wouldn't ever want to get rid of it since it was a gift from my gf. it's decent and i'd love to get it working again.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Prob. not what you want to hear, but I'd retire the Synergy reel and get something a little better - like an Okuma, or the Shimano Sienna ($29.99 at Bi Mart). I can understand the sentimentality - but my experience with Shakespeare reels has never been terribly great - at least with their spinning/casting reels. Their fly reels are good - but not so much with the spinning gear.

If it really was just overfilled, and that's why the line's catching - peel some line off, cut it, and see if that helps.

K
Kage
i'm sittin here just staring at it actually right now haha, i took off some line but it still isn't locking when i crank it again. yah i been wantin to get a new reel i just want to keep this around, was just hopin to be able to use it again. i guess i'll keep it off to the side as a "fix it" project i suppose. what's a good all purpose reel to use? i'm fishing for trout but i suppose i'd need better gear for salmon and steelhead

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hey Kage,
Like I mentioned in my earlier post - I'm a fan of the Shimano Sienna reels. Been using them for a few years now - and that's all I use now on all my spinning rods. They run $29.99 at Bi Mart and most other retailers - Fisherman's, Wholesale Sports, etc. They're well built, have a good drag, and don't cost a lot. My oldest Sienna now is 3 or 4 years old and going strong. If you wanted to step up another level or two, the Symetre reels are pretty good, but they're going to run you more $$$

Okuma also makes some solid reels - but in a side by side comparison between the Shimano and the Okuma reels at the same price point - the Shimano reels are smoother, have better drags, and just have a bit better fit & finish.

N
NoobTooner
dude... shimano all the way!
they just build a superior product from the ground up.
closest runner up..
abu garcia.
both can get a but pricey but in the long run ( and believe me, salmon and steelies will ruuuuuuun!) you won't regret it.

K
Kage
Thanx for the feedback guys I really appreciate it comin from a freshwater noob. I've used shimano in the past and liked the feel of them so I was already leanin towards them. Now my question is, would it work well with the ugly stick I have or should I pick up a new rod? I want to be able to use at least the rod since it was a gift after all.

N
NoobTooner
ugstix are OK for most of the fishing you're talking about doing(all around lake,stream or river trout and small species fish).. if you plan on fishing for salmon/steelhead you will at some point want to pick up a rod that is a little more specific to the style of fishing you will plan on doing for them.. eg. an okuma cielo 9ft 6-12 is a great inexpensive rod for bobber fishing for steelies and will also hold up to coho when they are in.
they also make decent rods engineered spec for other styles of fishing.
shimano makes some ok spin rods.. hell, there are literally hundreds of manufacturers out there to choose from and it can get a bit overwhelming once you get into it.

when/if you are planning on drift fishing you may want to pick up a nice 8.5ft 8-12lb rated rod.
i use a lamiglas cert. pro 8.5ft 8-12lb rod.. they are considerably more expensive than your average rod but they are much lighter, stronger and more sensitive than most of the les expensive rods.
also g-loomis is another very well know rod in the "class above" (and "PRICE above") category that you can't really go wrong with when you are ready to make the commitment and purchase a rod that will last you a lifetime.
both of them are MADE LOCALLY (mucho important when it comes to...) and also come with a LIFETIME WARRANTY which is a real plus. (I've used mine twice since purchasing my lamis and have gotten a free replacement each time.. no questions asked)

i'm sure the guys (and ladies) will chime in with a few more suggestions for you on here. they are a wealth of info if you know how to ask politely and be respectfull.

good luck out there..
and welcome.
NT

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Kage,
The Shimano reels come in an array of sizes - 500 (ultra light) 1000 (light/ultra light) 2500 (general size for trout, bass, most fresh water stuff) and 4000 (steelhead, light salmon, heavy fresh water, light saltwater fishing). If it's the small (4'6") Ugly Stick, the 500 or 1000 size would work fine, if it's a longer (5' or 6') rod, the 1000 or 2500 size is probably going to balance better.

With Bi Mart, at least, there's no price difference between the small reels and the large reels with the Shimanos. There might be a dollar or two different at other retailers depending on reel size.

NoobTooner's mention of the Celilo's is spot on. 90% of my spinning and casting rods are Okuma Celilo series rods. I've also got an Okuma Reflexions rod (the next step above the Celilo) - most excellent rods. I have an 8'6" 6-12lb rod I use for my steelhead drift rod, I've also got a 9'6" 6-12 for spin fishing for steelhead, I'm selling my 9' 20-40lb heavy casting rod just because it doesn't get a lot of use, I've got a 6', 7', 7'6", and 8'6" for ultra light spinning rods. All of the spin rods have the Shimano Sienna reels, the steelhead drifter wears an Abu Garcia Revo S-L, and I just sold the Shimano Corvalus that was on the heavy rod.

I can't say enough good things about the Celilo rods and the Sienna reels. I should get paid by Shimano and Okuma to pimp their gear!

K
Kage
reaaaaaally late reply but i'm gonna take the advice from u guys and get myself a shimano sierra reel and a okuma celilo rod. if i were to get one specifically for salmon and steelhead would it still be managable for smaller fish or should i stick w/ my uglystick and another reel for trout and the smaller stuff? i really didn't think much about matchin reels to rods and the small intricacies of it all, i'm glad u guys helped w/ some input. now i really want to learn as much as i can about it, it's pretty damn interesting :D

R
RunWithSasquatch
Kage said:
if i were to get one specifically for salmon and steelhead would it still be managable for smaller fish or should i stick w/ my uglystick and another reel for trout and the smaller stuff?

You'll catch trout all the time as a byproduct of steelhead or salmon fishing, but usually it isn't all that amazing, you'll want to have multiple rods to suite specific situations, no way around it.