Shady cove-salmon falls

B
bigsteel
i was curious if anyone fishes around these areas?gorgeous area just wondering if any steelies r in there?

O
osmosis
probably are some strays in there, but I believe you have a better shot in the north santiam itself.

B
bigsteel
thanks osmosis im headed to minto tomorrow.....let me know when you start guiding i could use one on the clackamas

R
rainbowfisherman
I read in a book that the the little north santiam gets a run of native winter steel..Not sure if im correct though

B
bigsteel
ive read that also,,,,,i was wondering if they could make it up salmon falls its pretty steep?

B
bigfootfish
Salmon Falls...

Salmon Falls...

Salmon Falls has a fish ladder, so the steelhead and salmon can get past. According to the Regs, it open to fin-clipped steelhead all year. The Marion Forks Hatchery would probably have some info on the runs. I know coho have made their way up into the Little North Fork.
The ODFW is concerned about declining Chinook runs on the stream. I was told the Spring Chinook are holing up in deep pools all summer long but swimmers have been spooking them and the Chinook are having a hard time finding a safe spot to hole up. Makes sense.

BFF

B
bigsteel
oh there is a ladder i didn't know that...i saw some big ones rolling last week below bear creek

R
rainbowfisherman
Ya i have been there and i know there are a lot of deep holes and a really deep one at salmon falls itself

B
bigsteel
care to share where at salmon falls???

R
rainbowfisherman
Right below where the fish ladder is and below the water fall..but be careful theres some weird currents around there

K
Kodiak
the little north fork has never had a good run, its too low in the summer for steelies...in places its almost stagnent, and naitive nook numbers have never been very high. They will transplant "ripe" naitives in the upper end trying to get them to spawn and bring the return up but it just has never happened well there.