Shad recently??

B
bassman503
Gonna try my luck at bonneville tomorrow. Any recent reports? lucky colors? seen any action? I know water is super strong and high. Thanks

brandon4455
brandon4455
shad darts are the money. i know of a felow forum meber who has slayed some shad rcently im sure he will pop in this thread and give soem advice

F
FishSchooler
I was there today...
got 12 or 13 between my dad and I
on chartreuse, pink, white jigs. They are biting on just about everything

B
bassman503
I was there too lol. Caught only 7 from 10-12. I had more bites on green and chartreuse. Lost so many fishes because i can't help but set the hook hard! See ya out there :D

T
Troutier Bassier
4 rods, 200ish shad in 12 hours @ cascade locks. Chartruse and red yarn.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
4 rods, 200ish shad in 12 hours @ cascade locks. Chartruse and red yarn.

thats a really slow pace lol
:p

I would fish below bonneville...
On bradfort island, near the tip... cast perpendicular and slow retrieve, strikes every or every other cast!! they kept on coming off the hooks tho when trying to pull them up by line without a net

B
bassman503
FishSchooler said:
thats a really slow pace lol
:p

I would fish below bonneville...
On bradfort island, near the tip... cast perpendicular and slow retrieve, strikes every or every other cast!! they kept on coming off the hooks tho when trying to pull them up by line without a net

Are you talking about the side with the restricted yellow line or the other side of the island?

F
FishSchooler
Im confused... ha
its the side facing the washington shore, drive to the end of the parking lot and walk to the end of the island (downstream from the dam)
now that the river is a little lower, fish a little upstream from the end of the island. If you are casting into the current... you're casting too far! Try to get it before the seam, and do the countdown method. That is, first cast, retrieve immediately (very slowly, i mean very slowly). If no fish, try counting a second before retrieving. Then two seconds, etc. Also, use very little weight. I ended up using less than 1/2 oz until i ran out of small weights. And use small dart jigs, 1/32 if possible

I
Ifishforfood
go to cascade locks i was there yesterday, and everybody was catching them on florescant yarn in almost every color. i even caught a jack chinook salmon while i was catching shad.

T
Troutier Bassier
thanks for repeating what I said...

Eat any more salmon smolts latey?

F
FishSchooler
wat?

K
Kage
gonna head out for some shad fishing in a few hrs, anyone know a good spot for them today? and what's working on them?

B
bassman503
i would go to cascade locks but idk where to fish lol. Any directions would help.. I went to bonneville for 3 hrs and got 15 myself. not too bad comparing to others there today.

B
bassman503
Kage said:
gonna head out for some shad fishing in a few hrs, anyone know a good spot for them today? and what's working on them?

1/32 pink jig head and 3 ft leader. cast 1 oclock past the seam then slowlyy reel it in. fish will hit at 8-11 oclock. Basically what fishschooler said lol

F
FishSchooler
Experiment with colors... Pink, red, white, chartreuse, combos, and use nothing above 1/16 oz jigs! If the shad darts have hair, cut the hair off a little bit or else it will seem "too big."
Use no more than 1/2 oz of weight if possible
I didn't even cast to the seam haha the fish are really close to the bank! Some even 15 feet out.
Just perpendicular to the shore and reel really slowly! Like 1 turn every 2 seconds. Once you get closer to the bank then start reeling faster. If you feel any bumps from rocks, jig the line a little. Jigging it might also get you a bite as well.
And while reeling, point the rod tip upstream a little bit away from where the jig is.
If you are really desperate, get 1/2 sliding brass bullet weights to attract the fish.

B
bassman503
do you think this is near the end of the run.. I mean 70,000+ on wednesday and 9000 today..

B
bassman503
Well to recap my day: Got there at 2 and fished till 5. Lost at least 10+ females at the shore.. Had at least 40 takes. My dad hooked a HUGE chinook that went on a frenzy down stream and broke him off with a jump haha and my lil brother foul hooked a monster sturgeon that went crazy. Pretty good day. Bite was hot at times. We even had a quadruple one time lol. 3 shads and 1 sturgeon.Largest was 19.6 inches and 3.94 lbs.

F
FishSchooler
What run? lol
its dying every year.
itll probably go back up and down

S
sts slayer
hey i fish for food. i bet you kept the salmon that you caught. cause my friend saw you keep one and leave, on the wrong set-up, so next time you catch a salmon do it the right way, and be ready for a ticket the next time you go to Chinook landing for catching and keeping all the baby salmon.
i been woundering why the salmon counts have dropped in the resent years. cause we have a jack bass keeping all the salmon smolt, next time i see you doing anything illegal ill call the police on you.

T
the_intimidator03
sts... i believe that could be handled in pm rather that just broadcasting it out, and from what you said is your basing your accusation on the word of someone else (your friend) I do agree about reporting illegal activity if you see witness it rather than just hear about it from word of mouth in this instance.

TB.. I dont know what sparked your response (i am thinking from another thread a while back) but I am not sure why it was brought up now.

I just felt i needed to say something about that.

Bassman I dont have much info for fishing bonneville but they seem to know whats working so gl and enjoy

Last edited: