Shad in Oregon

O
oregonbassman
What, if any, varieties of shad are in Oregon lakes and rivers? I know California has a few different varieties.

F
fishtales
Can u give us a better discription on what ur trying to learn about nw shad. Thanks man

O
oregonbassman
I'm trying to match the bait with the baitfish.

When bass fishing in Cali, I use a shad bait that resembles what the appropriate lake has.

B
beaverfan
I think the only kind we have in Oregon are these one's that travel up the Columbia, Willamette and a few other rivers to spawn. Here is a pic.

P
pdx89
You gotta bring some florida bass to eat some oregon shad;)

T
Troutier Bassier
After the big Shaddies spawn. The little shad get eaten by the big smallmouth!
Only in the CR and Willy.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:

And many more rivers.

P
pdx89
True, but i has talking about the BIG shad, like the one in the pic earlier... i have caight a lot of those little shad, 3-5''

O
oregonbassman
Troutier Bassier said:

But, what shad are in local rivers and lakes? American, Threadfin, Gizzard, etc?

Irishrover
Irishrover
oregonbassman said:
But, what shad are in local rivers and lakes? American, Threadfin, Gizzard, etc?

We have the American shad. They are not native. Prior to 1870 there where no shad on the west coast. The first shad were brought out by rail cars in those large milk cans. About 10,000 made it alive and were dumped into the Sacremento River in 1871. They were put into the Columbia system in 1885.
They have done well on the west coast and there have been years where over a million have went over Bonneville. The American Shad is just a large herring and they were brought out west as a food source. The food source thing didn't really work out, but they are good sturgeon and crab bait! They run in the rivers in May and June. I have never heard of a lake in Oregon with shad, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
No Shad in Lakes. The Bass here eat Crayfish, Perch, And bluegill.
But Shad colors still work in Lakes.
Hope this helps.

F
FishSchooler
Irishrover... they are a great food source.

Irishrover
Irishrover
FishSchooler said:
Irishrover... they are a great food source.
Yes FS they are a great food source for some, but they did not become the wide spread popular food source and economic boon that the Califorina Fish Commissioner dreamed of. Back east and in Europe folk appreciate the big herring more than we do out west.

P
pdx89
good info!:clap:
shad come and go, so bass here dont get the honor to eat it all year long

H
Hawk
Long ago i used to fish at Naciemiento Lake in CA. A school of shad would be churning up the water. White Bass or Black Bass would move in & scarf them up. Same at Lake San Antonio, but no White Bass there. There were Striped Bass they had planted years before.

F
FishSchooler
pdx89 said:
good info!:clap:
shad come and go, so bass here dont get the honor to eat it all year long

I dont think a 4 lb bass would go after a 3 lb shad with razor sharp fins and bones sticking out the bottom like a saw. when the shad actually spawn, it will be too cold for the bass!

P
pdx89
Florida Bass? perhaps
and on the other hand, bass are very aggresive fish, never underestimate a BASS:D

F
FishSchooler
pdx89 said:
Florida Bass? perhaps
and on the other hand, bass are very aggresive fish, never underestimate a BASS:D

Shad are also very aggresive. Not to mention that their underside is basically a saw. :shock: And I think that shad could swim faster, making all the migrations every year and building up their strength.

H
Hawk
The Shad in Oregon ain't the same species as the ones in CA...

:D

P
pdx89
Hawk said:
The Shad in Oregon ain't the same species as the ones in CA...

:D

or any other places... here in Oregon, most people dont know much about shad as a food fish... yet in other parts of the country, they are like shad festivals and cook outs..