Shad in Clackamas River??

F
Fishpdx
Hello guys, I know the shad season is starting and I heard some people sayin that u can catch shad in clackamas river and willamette, And I wanted to know if there would be a chance some at High Rocks on the clackamas river.

D
DrTheopolis
First, I'm not a shad guy.

But I don't believe they go up the Clack at all. People frequently target them in the Willy, immediately above the mouth of the Clack in Clackamette Park.

O
OnTheDrop
People catch them up to Riverside every year. It's not worth wasting your time in there though when you got the Willy.

B
Big3d
Clackamette is certainly the way to go from what I hear. Never been shad fishing myself. I would go, just haven't.

C
chrisohm
Clackamette, Dahl, and Meldrum parks offer a decent-good chance at getting into shad from the bank. Don't discredit the fishing dock further upstream on the Wets Linn side, it would be more cast and retrieve than back bouncing/plunking. Some of the other area parks on the West Linn side might offer some ok opportunity as well. Not sure how things are around the area as I have not been fishing there the past few days but bank and boat anglers alike were thinning out before the shad showed up. Best spots get taken early.

B
Big3d
The dock should be easy to use with the sturgeon fishing closed up huh? I might have to give it a go too.

C
chrisohm
Big3d said:
The dock should be easy to use with the sturgeon fishing closed up huh? I might have to give it a go too.

You got it!

F
Fishpdx
Ye thanks guys I never been shad fishing but sure will want to try this year. I hear it started already in bonneville

B
Big3d
There are shad in the fishcams at bonneville now!

F
Fishpdx
Big3d said:
There are shad in the fishcams at bonneville now!

Ye I heard my friend went fishing there and caught 82 shad in 3 hours