Shad at Clackamette park?

P
plunkme
has anyone caught any shad near clackamette park yet? im thinking about going out there on sunday to try it out... in desperate need of sturgeon bait:D:D

T
Troutier Bassier
if u need sturgeon bait go to salish ponds or blue lake

B
bassman503
Troutier Bassier said:
if u need sturgeon bait go to salish ponds or blue lake

There are no shad in Blue Lake or West Salish. Or am I mistaken?

A
Anyfishisfine
I'm gonna try in the next few days. I'm not sure what the count should be for it to be worth it, or if it matters what that says.

I stopped at Fisherman's today and stocked up. They have a decent sale on shad stuff right now. People were grabbing handfuls.

T
Troutier Bassier
Shad are still in low numbers. if you go next week you will have a better chance.

N
nimzrock
Greetings all, I met up with 2 buddies at the O.C, shopping center for a run at the shad. After 2 hours, a switch in tanks back at home, then new connections and then still buying a new fuel tank bubbah got fuel to his motor. As for the shad well lets just say we were greatful for the occasional bikini on shore or those giving us high speed wakes as we caught 1 in 3 hours and only saw 2 others netted. :think:

S
southside_10
I fished the above garbage hole on Friday. I anchored up in 34ft of water with a screen full of fish. 3ft. dropper 3ft. leader and 3oz. of lead produced 7 to the boat and at least that many more soremouthed for and afternoon of fishing. Nothing red hot, but plenty much fun on a new $6.00 ultra lite trout pole. Most fish were hooked on the drop back. Wee dick nite flicker spinner in red/white was the hot lure.

It will just keep getting better for the next couple of weeks if the weather does what they say it will.

CYA out there.

Peace, Tom

P
plunkme
K I've decided I'm going to either clackamette park or Bonneville tomorrow for soem shad most likely clackamette park anyone else want to go? Not sure what time I'll be out there but if anyone wants to meet I'll be out there then

B
beaverfan
Very slow out there today. The few that were caught seemed to be way smaller than normal. About halfway through the day I hooked into what I think was probably a Springer. Took out a couple hundred yards of line fought for 5-10 min and then spit my hook. That made the trip slightly more memorable. I'm gonna try again in a week or two. Oh by the way the current is realy rippin out there, when it gets crowded out there it could get pretty nutty.

T
Troutier Bassier
the water is really high. ma daddy says that in a week or 2 the fish will get used to the change in landscape

A
Anyfishisfine
Fished at the park from about 8AM to noon today. Someone said someone on a boat caught some, I didn't see any caught.

I've never lost so much tackle in my life though. There must be a better way. Any shad I catch will be worth his weight in lure gold.

F
FishSchooler
How much weight were you using/what was your rig? :think:

A
Anyfishisfine
I was fishing Dick Nite's and clones off a 3-way swivel. 2 1/2 - 3 feet to the spoon, and 2 feet to a 1/2oz or 1oz bank sinker. I tried cannonballs too.

With 1 oz I lost my rig on every cast. 1/2oz was better, and with practice I cut the loss rate down a lot.

Switching to my steelhead rod helped too, it has 12# test, so I bumped up the rest of my tackle and I could power through a lot of the snags.

I did manage to catch a whole bag full of old fishing line.

T
Troutier Bassier
Thats the only bas thing about shad fishing... Snags.

P
panderson01
Dad and I were out there this Wednesday and brought about 15 in the boat with one Small Mouth Bass in about 5 hours in the Garbage Hole.

Went out today with Fishkiller and his gal and only one in the boat for about 3 hours.

Went down from Meldrum for some Sturgeon and nothing.

Went upriver towards the falls for a joy ride and saw one bot with 2 oversize hook-ups with only one to the boat and one guy at the ramp with a keeper.

I don't know what to make of it other than keep fishing??????????????

-Paul

F
FishSchooler
I am going tomorrow. Wheres the garbage hole?

Anyfish-try not having such a long dropper. If you have hollow core lead, crimp 4 inches of it 2 feet about the lure, that should help.

T
Troutier Bassier
I'm going to Cascade Locks Tomarrow!

P
panderson01
FishSchooler said:
I am going tomorrow. Wheres the garbage hole?

Anyfish-try not having such a long dropper. If you have hollow core lead, crimp 4 inches of it 2 feet about the lure, that should help.

The Garbage Hole is the first dock you see on the right side down river launching from Sportcraft Marina on the Willamette in Oregon City.

If you are going tomorrow (Saturday) you will probably see one million plus boats there.

Good Luck,

Paul

F
FishSchooler
Im going in the evening though... 5:30 to 7:30 or something. :cool:

T
Troutier Bassier
Cha. more shad move in the evening.