Shad 2009 Kickoff!

T
Troutier Bassier
Sabiki Rigs (Herring Jig)

Sabiki Rigs (Herring Jig)

Can you use Sabiki's for shad? And do they work???

A
Anyfishisfine
Troutier Bassier said:
Can you use Sabiki's for shad? And do they work???

I never knew what those were called. They use them in japan with basket of chum (brine shrimp) above the hooks. You jig it up and down so the shrimp showers past the lures, which look like shrimp.

F
FishSchooler
If a sabiki is a weight with tons of hooks above it, it probably wouldnt be as effective as drift fishing with multiple lures unless you get it at the exact right spot where all the shad are.

T
Troutier Bassier
oh thanks. And one more Q.

The only place where I have caught shad is Cacade Locks Park. The way I did it was
Tied a big weight to the bottom of my line then above it I put on 3 trebles with red,chartruse, and pink yarn on.
Then I would 'drift' it. I would let it drop to the bottom and walk with it to the end of my space. I caught 6 shad in about 1 hour. very fun. But dose anyone else do this????

T
Troutcatcher
Does anyone know when you can start fishing for shad at the bonnevill dam.

P
PDXKush
I believe opening day is this Saturday !! Git R Dun

A
Anyfishisfine
Numbers dropped, run over ;)

Hopefully it will pick up more soon. Numbers were about doubling every day.

P
PDXKush
Ive never caught a shad. I've heard they put up a good little fight. can't wait. Should be a beautiful weekend. Peace

F
FishSchooler
Argh darnit. ;) I thought they were atleast going to reach 10000 by tomorrow... but not.

M
madoc
Troutier Bassier said:
oh thanks. And one more Q.

The only place where I have caught shad is Cacade Locks Park. The way I did it was
Tied a big weight to the bottom of my line then above it I put on 3 trebles with red,chartruse, and pink yarn on.
Then I would 'drift' it. I would let it drop to the bottom and walk with it to the end of my space. I caught 6 shad in about 1 hour. very fun. But dose anyone else do this????

I do the same thing at Cascade locks - which is pretty much the way that people fish there. My rig last year was three jig heads, although this year I'll probably just use trebles and yarn

M
madoc
PDXKush said:
Ive never caught a shad. I've heard they put up a good little fight. can't wait. Should be a beautiful weekend. Peace

They fight hard. Cook the roe with bacon and serve with eggs for breakies, and can a bunch - once cooked in the canning process the bones basically dissolve, and the cooked meat tastes similar to canned tuna. Shad used to be one the premiere fish on the East Coast in the Chesapeake bay and up the rivers, but thanks to our friend pollution, not anymore.:(

I can't wait for the numbers to pick up.