Sevylor Fish Hunter

C
Combat Chuck
Are these worth looking into? I noticed JT Lunker had a kayak and was wondering how good they were and what were some good things and bad about them... or should I save the money for a "real" boat. I'd imagine the wind could really move you around... does it? Would I be able to troll by rowing? Share your thoughts about it... I want to know.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
How much would you be willing to spend?

C
Combat Chuck
Im willing to look higher... I'm doing better than ever before with work so I can spend some of that. I dont have a certain price set... just what seems reasonable on an option by option basis.

J
joro79
Hi Combat Chuck,
I have the Fishhunter 280. It is fun, durable boat for the money. I paid $100 for it. I took it out only 3 times last summer and did not fish a lot. This was my first boat and I needed to learn how to move around. I had some water coming in the boat and I wasn't sure if it was from the drain holes or from a hole in the boat. It is not very comfortable to move around in the boat since the floor is too soft. They sell floor boards that suppose to make it real nice but they are more expensive than the boat itself. If you can make your own it might be better.
Overall I like the boat, I have small car and live in apartment so I can't have a real boat. I can inflate if for less than 5 min and it is light and easy to carry. I have hard times to get into the boat if there is not boat ramp, again because of the soft floor.

If you can spent more money and have room for a real boat get one.

O
osmosis
you can tow more than a raft with that new ranger :D.

Inflatables can be fun for sure, but I'd put the money towards a boat instead.

Having a motor limits you a little bit in where you can use it, not having a motor limits you a Lot more.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Floor...

Floor...

I will say this...a floor is so important. Just being able to stand up for a few seconds is worth the small amount of money spent in the beginning. I just got a "toon" one of those row able pontoon boats. It even has a floor to stand on, I have owned float tubes and boats and I must say if there is any way possible get a floor. Even if it is a raft make sure it has a floor you can actually stand up on and use. All this being said, once you get away from the shore line every thing changes.......my wife calls my boat a hole I toss money into, the only thing that ever changes is the size of the hole you own.:):cool:

Chuck

C
Combat Chuck
Haha... yep. Thats why I'd like to ask around to see whats going to work well without giving my paycheck just to use it. One downside to a "real" boat is that I live in an apartment and so storage will be harder. This in no way rules it out... just something I have to consider. The floor is a very good point, didn't really think about that!

O
osmosis
ever think about a drift boat? you can salmon and steelhead fish from them easily, as well as use them in stillwaters. motor optional..

J
joro79
Yeah floors are important, the Fishhunter has two rodholders for trolling and a place to put a motor (costs about $70) , or you can troll paddling but if you get a fish is so hard to get to your rod because of the soft floor.
There are cheap pontoon boats, about $150 from JI Joes you can check those out they will fit in an apartment.

O
osmosis
That's Awesome they have rod holders and a motor mount.. Back in my inflatable days I was just leaning my rods against the tube.

lots of pontoons can be easily aired down to take up even less space.

C
Combat Chuck
osmosis said:
That's Awesome they have rod holders and a motor mount
That is what really sparked my interest in them... thought that was really cool.

J
JTLunker
The inflatable Canoe that I have is pretty sweet for what I like to do. But it does have a few draw backs. I wish I had more cargo room, wish I could stand up, and yes the wind moves you a lot, you get tired after a few miles of paddling,no place for a rod holder, they lose some pressure with changes in the weather, and you have to dry them out or they mold. It also has many advantages. You can fit it in your extra cab and store in your closet, you can check it like luggage and take it one trips, it floats in less than 6 inches of water, you can troll very well with it as slower speeds are better for Trout trolling and Bass, it has a mount for an electric trolling motor, I have a anchor which helps with the wind, they are just a lot of fun. I don't regret buying it because it is so versatile. I take it on the Willamette all the time. The wakes don't make you feel like you will tip. In fact I probably could stand up in it, but haven't wanted to risk the swim. You sit high for a inflatable as it has an inflatable cushion under the seat. If you get it or any other inflatable get a rechargeable electric pump with an Ac adapter. Saves the back a ton a stress before a long paddle. I spent 250 on the boat, 25 on the Paddle( Not a nice one either), 45 on the vest(stern guide vest) , 5 on the whistle, 150 on the fish finder, and 25 for the electric pump (totally worth it). That makes it about $500 bucks. Well I think that should do it, have fun with whatever you decide. If you get any type of inflatable wear a vest bro, you never know what can sink your ship. Good luck!

Last edited:
J
joro79
JT, this just proves that a boat is money hole. I wanted just a simple inflatable and was willing to spend a $100. Than I needed oars, pump, vests. I started thinking about fish finder, trolling motor, but you need battery, and chargers. It never ends :)

Check this one out:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11091559&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|57266&N=4019910&Mo=5&No=5&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=60928&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

J
JTLunker
I don't have a need for a trolling motor, and my fish finder is a portable and runs on batteries.

C
Combat Chuck
So my thinking has come to this. If I went with a higher end pontoon (example Fish cat IR9 $450-550) I would want to dump too much money into it... trolling motor etc. At that point I could pick up a little aluminum boat with a trolling motor for that cost and would have a much more solid investment, just not quite so portable. So I'm favoring a little boat or a cheaper pontoon. Not junk, and not a random brand, just cheaper. Maybe the Creek Company 8' for $180 at joes? Or I could always get the cheap pontoon now and pick up the real boat for next year;) haha. I just need to think rich thoughts and maybe I will win the lottery. For anyone thats been around pontoons, does this seem like a good idea?

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I sent you a PM about another thread before I read this but... You can get a "Fishcat" or a "Sportsman's Warehouse" pontoon (both are exactly the same, made in China), for I think around $200-$350. I just bought a fishfinder at Sportsman's Warehouse and while I was there I checked out the pontoons. The prices for a 9' steelframed pontoon have dropped a lot... Exactly like the one I have but much cheaper now.

If you are torn between a $500 dollar aluminum boat and a cheap $200 pontoon (with portability and storage a concern), your best bet would be a better quality pontoon. If you think you can buy a cheaper boat this year and a better one next year why not buy a good pontoon this year and then a motor the next :).

About storing a pontoon.. Last year I fished for 2 days on the coast with my Fishcat and stayed in a motel. What I did to store it for the night was deflate both pontoons, roll up all four ends and strap them to the frame and it leaned against the wall nicely between the TV and the door in my dirty little $40 room.

But beware.. Sportsman's Warehouse also had a pontoon that looked pretty sturdy in every place except for the weakest riser I have EVER seen that ended in a plastic (PLASTIC) oarlock :shock: I couldn't believe it.

C
Combat Chuck
I took the advise and drove to sportsmans today. I spent at least half an hour looking at them all. What looked best to me was the two Outcasts/fishcat/sportsmans they had. The 8' & 9' for $300 & $400. Finally decided to go with the nine (an almost exact copy of graphitezen's) and they were sold out:(. Im so disapointed, now that Ive had a taste I can't live without my magic flying carpet!!!!! haha... oh well, keep trying I guess. :rolleyes:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Hahaha yeah I figured if you took mine out that would pretty much seal the deal for you ;) I'm disappointed they are still $400, I really though the price was lower. Could be that it's a better boat. It might have an aluminum frame instead of steal and that will cut down on the weight a LOT when you have to carry it in and out of your apt. Might have Kevlar pontoons instead of PVC. Whatever the difference, too bad they are sold out. I know the feeling.
I just put a fishfinder on mine and also bought it Sportsman's. After weighing features, reading manuals and asking questions I had finally settled on one and was REALLY excited about what I was getting. Well, of course, sold out. I was actually kinda mad. I went to G.I. Joe's and they didn't sell that model so at that point I was considering lodging a complaint with the management at Sportsman's Warehouse asking that they keep a better eye on what they have in stock and what they don't, and to MAKE SURE the toby tags certain display items that they run out of. But I figured why bother..
Considering the possibility that they may have one more buried somewhere and that would be why it wasn't tagged (or removed), I found the same guy and asked him to go look again. Get this, he wouldn't at first. "Oh I'm SURE we are out of them." I tell him that the other guy said the reason a priced model was taken off the rack was because they had run out, and the one I wanted was still here he replies "Well these are just display models and we don't take them down because we don't sell them." (What??) Says that he doubts they have it because he didn't see ANYTHING marked Seafinder on the shelf (even though there are three different Seafinder models on display :rolleyes:). Finally he goes and looks again and bingo, fish finder! "Oh oops it was buried behind a different model uh yuk yuk.":rolleyes: I wanted to bean him with a corkie.
Now, I was charging this on my card because I had closed on my house and was assured the check in two days so I figured what's the difference? Of course, she rings it up and **Insufficient Funds** I think I actually levitated for a second or two :mad::mad: So yeah I know how you feel :lol::lol:

So it looks like you are definitely going to get one :dance::dance: Any date on when they will get some more? I have plotted a couple routes on the Willamette that will take a boater by some sloughs that definitely need to be explored and I will need your help :D

Oh and don't forget you need a Scotties Rod Holder and Oar Rights. For the rod holder you need to make sure to get the one that mounts to a bar, not the screw in model, and the Oar Rights need to be the right inside diameter.

C
Combat Chuck
Well this model has a slightly different frame in the back with a motor mount. Its got a rod holder mounted to a bar. I wish the 8' one was just a smaller one but there was many differences. No motor mount, no rod holder, junk for oars and mounts. I did like how outcast was not the most expensive... bucks bags was and I didn't really care for them. Plastic parts, unmovable seats and a very different pontoon cover. I was very rough... kinda wierd.

C
Combat Chuck
oh... and the 9' also had a cushy seat, and better colors. Green and gray-black instead of blue.