Setup for sturgeon

F
Fisherman Scott
I've been reading a lot of your guys' setups but I'd really like to see a close up picture of a setup for river bank/dock fishing that would help me out a lot.

D
Drew9870
Just use a red slider with the snap swivel on it, swivel, and about a foot and a half of leader. If you get a bite, let your line run free and wait until it runs steadly.

Its the same thing as using a slide sinker, but you can adjust the weight.

The sliders are usually red.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
FishKiller23
I use slider but I also use this set up.

3 way swivel.

Tie it to your main line then take a hook with very short leader and tie it to the middle part of the swivel and tie your weight line to the other part.

So basicly hook in the middle weight on the bottom.

Y
youngbuck307
I use both sorry can't post a pic to show you but think they kinda said all i can

T
The Nothing
don't bother with the special sliders, just use a snap or a swivel and keep the bead there to protect the knot. I have a few different leaders though - 12" for throwing shrimp or worms, and probably closer to 30" when i'm tossing whole bait fish (need the extra length to get the fish hitched)

M
madoc
Just don't forget that you can only use barbless hooks for sturgeon in OR.

F
FishKiller23
The Nothing said:
that is fairly similar to how I run mine... don't bother with the special sliders, just use a snap or a swivel and keep the bead there to protect the knot. I have a few different leaders though - 12" for throwing shrimp or worms, and probably closer to 30" when i'm tossing whole bait fish (need the extra length to get the fish hitched)

Yea just make sure your not fraying your braided line or mono. I used the same set up and it happen to fray my line but didn't do a lot of damage.+

T
Troutier Bassier
I dont use Mono Leaders. I use Brads #50 Braided. Or just regular #65 Green Bradid. Very....... Uhm..... Whats the word........ (Opposite of thick) Line.

T
The Nothing
as discussed in a previous thread, Dacron or Mono was suggested for leader material so that the sturgeon are not cut if they tangle themselves up in the line. Some have seen it happen, I have not.

Mono would also add just a bit of flex to help with the jumpers too...

that said, i use braid as well...

T
Troutier Bassier
I have a good Question,
How thick is your Braid?

I have a leader with 65# Braid and its about the same Diameter as 10Lb test.
But The leaders that my dad uses, Brads Braided or some crap like that is 50# and has the same diameter as 60# Mono!

What would you guys use? I would probally use the 65# Braided cause
1.) Its stronger then 50#
2.) Its lighter so I detect more bites.
3.) its Dark green sooop That might help?

F
FishSchooler
You use the same line for sturgeon that you use for carp?! :think:

Y
youngbuck307
I see one thing wouldnt work the hook has a barb. thats a real big NO NO up here!!!!

T
Troutier Bassier
And Honestly I dont think that would work just by Looking at it,

O
osmosis
They do sell barbless hooks, but people also just bend the barb as flat as possible with pliers.
I really prefer octopus style hooks over circles too.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Herring scent trail

Herring scent trail

Actually,I use the clear plastic bobbers,gently drill small holes in them,pry them apart and put yarn inside. Then I soak the yarn with herring scent. They used to sell the same thing at Sportsmen's Warehouse. An "Ancient Mariner" approached me in the aisle and suggested drilling my own. Said he had been using them for years with great success. It leaves a scent trail according to him.

Be safe.
Barb

S
Sturgeon Excursion
Raincatcher said:
Actually,I use the clear plastic bobbers,gently drill small holes in them,pry them apart and put yarn inside. Then I soak the yarn with herring scent. They used to sell the same thing at Sportsmen's Warehouse. An "Ancient Mariner" approached me in the aisle and suggested drilling my own. Said he had been using them for years with great success. It leaves a scent trail according to him.

Be safe.
Barb

Great idea Barb, thanks for sharing, I'm gonna try that. Not sure how you pry open a bobber, I thought they'd be glued shut to be water tight. Might just drill it and push the yarn in with something. Gave me and idea about soaking leaders in some sort of shad puree. Wife' gonna love that in the blender:D I'll have her PM you.

Y
youngbuck307
LMAO excursion My girl hates when i go sturgeon fishing because of how mcuh i come back smelling like bait.... I would DIE if i used the blender for fishing.