sellwood tips?

N
ninja2010
thinking of launching my 'toon from willy park and heading to the bridge to troll for springers. i only have kwikfish and diver for now...

any tips or pointers? any preferred spots or should i just troll like a drunken sailor all over?

or should i head further up to meldrum?

L
luv2fish
Meldrum won't be a good choice.......sellwood is better for now....# 14 kwikfish...chrome and chartreuse or white and chartreuse....lil piece of sardine wrap.....hopefully you'll get something...good luck..and go get some fish

F
fishnquest
...and if that doesn't work, try that drunken sailor thing...:D

L
luv2fish
Right said Fishnquest...;)

A
ArcticAmoeba
Right now the drunken sailor is where its at. We are sidrdrifting steelhead in some very interesting places above stinky Meldrum. We mark 'Chinook" and drag 'em out in the deep water, only to hookup with a clipper Steelhead. The fish are running in relative close proximity to "classice" shipping lanes, just not in them. So the drunken sailor move might not be a bad idea at all. If your 'toon will easily accomodate a backtrolling setup, then by all means bust out the KwikFish. I use my big river gear, in the poopy Willamette. K15's. Double Trouble, and Mr. Bill, I hate to say it, but they work almost everywhere. I have a chrome bodied plug, with a simple broken up line running parallel to the plug, down its back, along with a blue "tail." Kills a lot of fish out there. Try everything you have in the chocolate milk they call water.

F
fishnquest
wow. wuddaknow, AA says im right!
every once in a while, a blind hog finds an acorn:D

L
luv2fish
i've those plugs AA and like you said they work almost everywhere...i just love plug fishing...everytime i got to store....i buy atleast 3-5 plugs everytime....my wife says why your nuts bout these banana kinda things.....lol...

A
ArcticAmoeba
You do need to buy at least three of the same plug if you are going to have a chance at catching fish regularly. Only 20% or so are remotely fishy. Right now, they are still made overseas, but the old dies are still in Hood River. Just waiting to be filled up with plastic again. Soon the Kfish will be back to their old selves though. Where you could go out and buy a dozen and get six different paint schemes, and most of 'em caught fish. Plug fishing is very productive given the right conditions, for sure. Just wait, some day you will be letting a plug dive, and right before you put it in the rod holder, you are going to get slammed. Plug takes are absolutely vicious, especially if you happen to be holding the rod. Fun times up north. Where you did not need a rod holder!:)

Reactions: Fishydog
N
ninja2010
(hic!) drunken sailor, it be...

i totally love trolling plugs. like aa sez, it's like snagging a passing train. if not careful, rod goes bye-bye (happened once).

so i'm gonna split my weekend... one day steelie on the tribs, one day springer on the willy. something's gotta give... :pray::pray::pray:

for the trolling gig, i have my 7 1/2' offshore teramar 15-30lb, calcutta conquest 401 spooled with 50lb powerpro and 20lb fluoro leader - my standard for salt - would that work for springers?

M
meluvtrout
If you can arrange a shuttle service, I think you can also drift from Meldrum to Clackamatte Park.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Clackamette Park is above Meldrum bar, and Dahl beach. Did you mean Willy park, with the boat launch? That would be a good drift if you had two cars, or a shuttle.

M
meluvtrout
It's the one with the pebble beach and a boat ramp. If you're facing the water Meldrum Bar is on the right hand side... Is it the Willy Park?

A
ArcticAmoeba
The park on the bar that hoardes of folks go out to plunk is Meldrum Bar Park. The one just above it, that you can access from the same access road as Meldrum, is simply called Dahl Beach. the park across the Clackamas from Dahl, is Clackamette. If I were to float in a pontooon, or other small carpet, I would do the Meldrum to Waterfront Park in D-Town Milwaukie. Willamette Park is the one just North of the Sellwood Bridge, and might take a very long time to float without power from Meldrum.

M
meluvtrout
So Ninja, how did it go?

N
ninja2010
i didn't make it out... :( work beckoned...