Sellwood Sturgeon 11-21-09

S
southside_10
I got up at the crack of 8:30 and my wife chased me out of the house so she could clean the place. I went over to what used to be sportsmans and picked up some sandshrimp and a dozen nightcrawlers, then headed to the fine boat launch at Milwaulkie.

There was plenty of water going by so the launch was not too bad. The motor started on the second pull and I headed down stream past a couple of dozen boats fishing around outdrive rock. Did not see any action as I went by so I decided to go down to Oaks Park and fish the deep hole just north of the bridge.

I dropped the anchor in 70ft. and drifted back till I had paid out around 200ft. of rope. The anchor held just fine and I set up a squid with 8oz. of lead and pitched it in. The current was ripping and I had just about spooled my reel and not hit bottom. Reeled back in and put on 16oz. Sent it back down and found the bottom.

15 minutes, no bites. Reel in and change baits to herring with a worm wrap. 15 minutes, no bites. Reel in and change baits to sandshrimp tipped with a nightcrawler. 10 minutes, tap-tap-tap, wiggle, wiggle, tap-tap-tap, Hard set, FISH ON!!

I was using my salmon rod so the bend was surely my friend as we did battle. My line starts to move up and the fish breaks water with a big splash!! I am just STOKED at this time, keeper size for sure!!

After three good runs I get the upper hand and did the one man net rodeo. Great fun with a 9 foot salmon rod and a 14ft. boat.

I forgot the camera so no action pics so here is one from the back yard. 41in. fork, 45in. tip.

One bite, one keeper. Great day in the neighborhood!!

Peace, Tom

Last edited:
S
SNDSLGR
Nice work!

H
HANKIII
I heard on the news theres fresh poop in there out of oregon city Nice fish for sure !!!!!!!

S
southside_10
HANKIII said:
I heard on the news theres fresh poop in there out of oregon city Nice fish for sure !!!!!!!

That happened on Sunday the 22nd, Not a good thing for sure, and a day after I was out there.

Peace, Tom

J
joesnuffy
HANKIII said:

Does this mean you have to change baits? :p

blah!!!

F
Fishtopher
cool pic man, nice fish!

P
pathfinder
re

re

Nice fish ,, Congrats !:yay:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good for you!

Good for you!

Good for you,Tom! :clap: Sounds like you had a great time getting that prehistoric beast into the boat. :dance: It's a good thing you got out there before the "spill" took place.:rolleyes: So,did you have it for dinner yet? Never had it but I understand it tastes like lobster. Do you have a favorite recipe for sturgeon?
Congrats!!

S
southside_10
Raincatcher said:
Good for you,Tom! :clap: Sounds like you had a great time getting that prehistoric beast into the boat. :dance: It's a good thing you got out there before the "spill" took place.:rolleyes: So,did you have it for dinner yet? Never had it but I understand it tastes like lobster. Do you have a favorite recipe for sturgeon?
Congrats!!

We had some of it for dinner on Sunday. It was an awsome meal.

I hear people boil it to make "poor mans lobster", but I have yet to try it.

Best way I have found so far is good ol' fish and chips. I slice the filet at an angle, in about a 1/3" to 1/2" thick slices, coat lighty with flour then into some eggwash and coat with panco bread crumbs. Fire up the fry daddy deep frier and cook up some fast food fries first, then 3 or 4 pieces of fish each batch for about a minute until golden brown. My favorite dipping sauce is Beavers tarter sauce. My wife loves real honey and yellow mustard and the kids always have ranch dressing.

I does not matter how much we cook up, it all gets gobbled up. We use this same recipe for all white meat fish.

Peace, Tom

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Deep fried is the best! I use beer batter and cut it up into little cubes. Don't forget to trim ALL the fat off.

C
Cohosanders
southside_10 said:
I got up at the crack of 8:30 and my wife chased me out of the house so she could clean the place. I went over to what used to be sportsmans and picked up some sandshrimp and a dozen nightcrawlers, then headed to the fine boat launch at Milwaulkie.

There was plenty of water going by so the launch was not too bad. The motor started on the second pull and I headed down stream past a couple of dozen boats fishing around outdrive rock. Did not see any action as I went by so I decided to go down to Oaks Park and fish the deep hole just north of the bridge.

I dropped the anchor in 70ft. and drifted back till I had paid out around 200ft. of rope. The anchor held just fine and I set up a squid with 8oz. of lead and pitched it in. The current was ripping and I had just about spooled my reel and not hit bottom. Reeled back in and put on 16oz. Sent it back down and found the bottom.

15 minutes, no bites. Reel in and change baits to herring with a worm wrap. 15 minutes, no bites. Reel in and change baits to sandshrimp tipped with a nightcrawler. 10 minutes, tap-tap-tap, wiggle, wiggle, tap-tap-tap, Hard set, FISH ON!!

I was using my salmon rod so the bend was surely my friend as we did battle. My line starts to move up and the fish breaks water with a big splash!! I am just STOKED at this time, keeper size for sure!!

After three good runs I get the upper hand and did the one man net rodeo. Great fun with a 9 foot salmon rod and a 14ft. boat.

I forgot the camera so no action pics so here is one from the back yard. 41in. fork, 45in. tip.

One bite, one keeper. Great day in the neighborhood!!

Peace, Tom

That story and the great Fall Pic makes me want to go try Sturgeon fishing. WOW:clap: