Seeking multi-day backpacking/fishing trip location

G
Gentleman Angler
Greetings friends :thumb: I'm new to this gorgeous state and am a full-time graduate student. This will be the 8th year I've lead a multi-day backpacking trip with a few friends…and this year we're going to explore Oregon a bit in the end of June.

Problem is…I have no idea where to take these guys. We've been all over Utah, spent some time in Idaho, and Wyoming. Our trip will be 4-5 days duration and we are all capable of covering ground. We prefer to be away from the crowds if possible but require an area where we can camp and have fires.

The icing on every trip is being able to get on some trout water. A couple of us are fly anglers, but all of us enjoy spin fishing. I've read up a little on the internet and in a few books, but can't seem to get my bearings on where a good location would be to get us on a trail and put us near some flowing water and/or some lakes. Fish don't need to be big and I'm not asking for a handout…just locations where we may have a chance at hooking up. We don't plan to hike in any tubes or pontoons at this point so the location would require decent shore access.

From reading the posts here, it sounds like you guys might be able to help me out and point me in the right direction. I'd prefer insight from people who have actually spent time in the areas they recommend vs stuff heard or learned second or third-hand if I can be so picky :sad: but I'll take anything I can get. I'm desperate and value any and all input and thank you guys in advance for the help.

Cheers, GA

B
Big3d
Perhaps the Bull of the woods wilderness may be up your alley, lots of small secluded lakes, killer views. I'm inno shape for some of those hikes myself, but if I ever am it's on my list. Oregon is full of beautiful places. People will chime in. Welcome, enjoy!

G
Gentleman Angler
Thanks a million Big3d. I will look into that. Is that a trail or a wilderness area? Specific trailhead you're talking about? Sounds amazing. Good fishing in those lakes? I'd love more info. Thanks for the warm welcome my friend.

B
Big3d
It's an entire wilderness area with many trails, not far from TD's suggestion, trout should be abindant in all lakes in both of the mentioned areas. Look over that whole area just east of salem, it's absolutely breathtaking views out there.

F
FishFinger
Isn't Lake Ann still closed to camping? An awful lot of the forest between three finger Jack and Mt Jefferson burned around ten years ago (possible arson) and remains a grave yard of the standing dead. Marion Lake was spared but a lot of the valley between 3FJ & Mt Jeff was lost to public use.

G
Gentleman Angler
Wow…thanks for the great insight. I'll look into that FishFinger. Are the two areas the same??? Bull of the Woods and 8 lakes basin?

F
FishFinger
I may have misspoke, while there was extensive damage from the 2003 B&B fire, camping may not be restricted but with in the fire ban zone established at Marion lake; only gas powered stoves/ lanterns are allowed. *as per page 158, Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon 2011 edition.

G
Gentleman Angler
Great. Thanks for the clarification. Does anyone have a specific trail route that would allow us to hit a handful of good lakes, streams, rivers, and allow us to either hike in and out or do a loop?

D
DrTheopolis
I've never done it (so much for firsthand info), but the Pacific Crest Trail is pretty freaking famous for just what you are looking for.

G
Gentleman Angler
Yeah…I've heard that. Thanks Dr. My issue is that I've never hiked anything here in Oregon. That trail is HUGE!!! I need more details as to where to start, finish, etc. I am just nervous about planning it with no direction or guidance as to what areas we should hit. Feel me?

D
DrTheopolis
And for that, you're asking the wrong guy. But I believe there's a cornucopia of info available, and there's books on the subject.

F
FishFinger
Take a look at the Mink Lake basin which is near the PCT. It's SSW of the third Sister and NW of the Cascade lakes.

The South Sister is much prettier than Mt. Shasta; as volcano's go, and slowly lifting on her southern flank.

D
DrTheopolis
FishFinger said:
slowly lifting on her southern flank.

I thought that stopped a couple of years ago? Swelled for many years, though. I read somewhere that South Sister was the most "reliable" of all the volcanoes, and it erupts every 1600 years like clockwork. Last eruption was 1600 years ago.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Eagle cap wilderness would be my first choice.

G
Gentleman Angler
Really appreciate all the insight guys! Please tell me more about Eagle Cap Wilderness Jamisonace. I'm weighing it against the other locations mentioned