Section 6 is hot!

S
sportsmanlio
I fished for around two hours with my father on the way back from Bend. We caught about 20 fish each in the short time we were there. Brookies and redbands were ravenous, and my dad caught a nice brookie that broke the half-pound mark.

Spinners were the ticket, and Panther Martins and Blue Fox Vibrax were my go-to lures!

Last edited by a moderator:
M
mgman6000
I have looked in the reg book and my rivers of Oregon book and see no reference to section 6 can you give more info?

S
sportsmanlio
I don't have the regs with me, but I think it is called Section 6 of the Deschutes River. It is the section between Little Lava Lake (Headwaters) and Crane Prairie Reservoir that parallels the Cascade Lakes Highway.

There aren't many offroads, so you just park by the highway and hike the short distance to the river. I caught a brookie that was about 1.5 pounds a few years back in there. My second largest one ever!

troutdude
troutdude
Oh yeah, that's the ticket! That is a GREAT stretch of the river! I fished with dries some 30 years ago, and caught brookies all day long. Mine we're all smallish and all C & R'd. But it was a blast.

Nicely done!

M
mgman6000
sportsmanlio said:
I don't have the regs with me, but I think it is called Section 6 of the Deschutes River. It is the section between Little Lava Lake (Headwaters) and Crane Prairie Reservoir that parallels the Cascade Lakes Highway.

There aren't many offroads, so you just park by the highway and hike the short distance to the river. I caught a brookie that was about 1.5 pounds a few years back in there. My second largest one ever!

Thanks I see what you mean by section 6 it's the 6th line in the regs, we fished there last year and I like it up there a lot too bad it's 200 miles away!

S
sportsmanlio
I'm a spinfisherman, but I did dab mosquitos near the logs. Got a lot of strikes, but it is hard to catch fish using flies with a spinning rod :/

K
Kais
Cool fish. The cascade lakes area looks pretty cool but i agree its to far for a Portlander.

S
skunk
Nice job, I love that area.

F
FlyBum
Well, that is a really fun section and I've been fishing it for the last 8 years now. You can catch really nice fish on flies as well here's a couple from a week ago:

I'd suggest staying away since the bugs are so bad. Don't go up there it sucks :)

S
sportsmanlio
Yeah, true enough. It is a long drive for me in Klamath Falls, so I usually just go there if I'm on the way to or from Bend...

S
sportsmanlio
Flybum, I think those are the laregets brookies I've ever seen! You caught these in that same area? I usually just park by the highway about a mile past the little bridge. I have had one on that was close to 2 pounds, but those are around 3, no?

I am very jealous :) I will have to take up flyfishing just to catch one of those guys!

F
FlyBum
Well, you should scout more areas, one was in the 3+ and the other was 4+ they were just super-duper thick. I stuck one last week that had to have gone 6 or so. It's tail fin was as big as my hand is spread wide open, a true toad! The state record actually came out of there and went 9 something. Pretty cool for such small water! But don't go up there the Mosquitoes are really bad and the fishing really sucks and you actually do loose a lot of gear.

There were some rainbows in there too that came up from Crane but I think most are gone by now. Here's one from the same weekend :)

Reactions: sportsmanlio
S
sportsmanlio
That is a nice fish, too! The mosquitos are terrible. Add to that the huge amount of lures I lost, and it practically ruined the trip :)

If you don't mind my asking, what type of flies landed those? Dries, wets, streamers, etc. You don't have to reveal your secret, just humor me with a ballpark. I caught my biggest one up there on a Black and Orange Blue Fox Vibrax with a silver blade. It was the 1/4-1/3 oz size. I caught all of the little guys on a #4 Rainbow Trout Holographic Panther Martin.

I did have one bite my Panther Martin that would have easily eclipsed my personal brookie record of about 1.5 pounds...it is horrible to see a fish that big strike short.

F
FlyBum
Nymph type stuff that you may use on the Lower D. I tie all my stuff that I use up there in "Special" ways that allow me to fish one fly or more in a few different ways. :)

S
sportsmanlio
Thanks a lot! Good luck to you, and I hope you land that six-pounder next time!

S
SistersGuy
sportsmanlio said:
Yeah, true enough. It is a long drive for me in Klamath Falls, so I usually just go there if I'm on the way to or from Bend...

Which should be fairly often, am I right? I service restaurant equipment in Chemult, Crescent, Crescent Lake, and Gilchrist. The owners/ managers are ALWAYS going to Bend for one thing or another...

I haven't fished that stretch. I always go near Cline Falls on my way home. Have only caught one fish there but it's nice and I have only seen one other set of guys down there. Pisses me off when I walk all the way down there to "my" spot and there is already someone there USING WORMS NO LESS.

F
FlyBum
SistersGuy said:
Which should be fairly often, am I right? I service restaurant equipment in Chemult, Crescent, Crescent Lake, and Gilchrist. The owners/ managers are ALWAYS going to Bend for one thing or another...

I haven't fished that stretch. I always go near Cline Falls on my way home. Have only caught one fish there but it's nice and I have only seen one other set of guys down there. Pisses me off when I walk all the way down there to "my" spot and there is already someone there USING WORMS NO LESS.

Cline Falls is way North of Section 6 which is South do you mean Pringle Falls? If someone is using Worms you should inform them that it is illegal but in such a manner that won't get you shot ex: "Dirty bait-chucking Son of a Beotch". Don't do that just start fishing 20 feet from them constantly casting over their line and sparkup a conversation, with yourself, and just be a little rude not a lot, even act a little irate or out of your mind. Hopefully this will push them out! or maybe they will join in your conversation with one of your split personalities. Usually works for me!

OR: You could call Officer Gregory Love with the Oregon Department of State Police who is a Senior Trooper of the Fish and Wildlife Division @ 541 617-0617. Then you can report Poachers and do the right thing.

Good luck and good fishing

F
FlyBum
Found this tonight on the Upper D. Not the biggest fish in the tank that we were fishin :)

S
steelhead_slayer
your just egging me on to get out there

F
FlyBum
steelhead_slayer said:
your just egging me on to get out there

How about these form today? :)