Searun cutthroat.

T
Thuggin4Life
caught a saerun last sunday. going back to target searuns this sunday, was thinking about going back to siltcoos but might fish the siuslaw instead. was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to fish and where to fish?

D
Drew9870
For any cutthroat I would recommend a full nightcrawler and a size 2 hook, they usually still swallow the hook.

I must of had a giant searun come try to grab my full nightcrawler right off the top at siltcoos on friday, had to be around 22 inches, but it could have been a rainbow or an early coho.

B
Bfishin
Drew9870 said:
For any cutthroat I would recommend a full nightcrawler and a size 2 hook, they usually still swallow the hook.

I must of had a giant searun come try to grab my full nightcrawler right off the top at siltcoos on friday, had to be around 22 inches, but it could have been a rainbow or an early coho.
Nice. Thanks for the info. I'll be going there on Sunday with thuggin. I've never targeted sea run Cutthroat. I'm pretty sure we'll be trolling for them. Were you fishing a bobber?

L
lizardman
The last Sea Run Cut I caught was in 1984 or 1985. It was 15 3/4 inches long and about 1.5 pounds. I caught it on an orange rooster tail.

I was fishing Ten Mile Creek, cast the spinner out and let it settle to the bottom and then gave it a jerk and reeled in slowly.

I got an acrobatic show of my lifetime with this fish.

Dave

Q
qwapaw
We have fished the Siuslaw for many years for sea run cutts (since 1962). In the old days we trolled Ford fender and worms and even caught a few large sea perch under the Florence Bridge. Now days we throw spinners that have some red on them along the banks. This year I think we will try the North Fork of the Siuslaw. If you go up the road by it to the park, I hear folks do real well up there on spinners. Remember you have to have a parking permit to park in all those places. The best place to get a permit is the Mapleton Store. I also imagine the Sportsman would help you out in Florence with info. They have always been real nice and helpfull over the phone. Good luck, nice fish to catch and eat. I haven't looked up the limit this year, is it still 2 fish? Dan U

T
Timber
Used to catch catch searuns at Siltcoos in the gap between Booth Island and Fish Mill on nothing more than trolling a white flatfish with red spots. They would hit and leap five feet in the air. Good fun and good eating. Timing is of great importance and so is luck in being there at the right time.

S
steelhead1
I fished all over suislaw above tide,and also lake creek on thursday,didn't even see a fish:(Those cuttiesare always hit and miss, though.Please post if you get into them!

B
Bucknasty
Fun fish!!!

Fun fish!!!

I have been getting into them almost every time i go out lately, not sure now weather i enjoy targeting them or steel more :) both very fiesty fish so in my mind that = fun. I have been fly fishing for them because thats all i know! so here is my beta, I have taken them on dry flies, but have the most luck swinging streamers on light sink tip with a slow retrieve through the deep pools. In fact I kindof stumbled into my first blue back last yr.. i was casting dry flies to trout on a small coastal stream, after hooking into another small cutty i watched a large shadow shoot out from behind a rock and nip at the small cutty on the end of my line. I immediately had goosebumps.. stripped in my line and changed my fly to the heaviest fly i had with me.. ( mole leach), tuck cast across stream, wait, wait, wait and started my swing across the slow tail out and bam! same shadow only this time hooked to my fly :D after a fun couple of minute fight up stream and down stream i netted this beauty and knew i was hooked for life! 22" beauty:dance: Hope everyone gets as much joy catching these fish as i do:) cheers, Bob

M
mlw
Remember to check the regs - most coastal rivers and streams are artificial fly and lure, limit 2. Be careful with these fish, Oregon many years ago had great searun fishing (it was more popular than steelheading at one time), and was almost wiped out by overfishing. Lots of folks think ODFW should have held off a while in reinstating the harvest of searun cutts, too early in their recovery - so do your part in helping them recover and C&R, or limit your limit (and keep only one for example). Treat any released fish carefully. It would be nice to see this fishery recover to strong levels.
Michael

Reactions: Pita
D
DiverJames
cutts

cutts

Alsea has been fairing well for these. my buddy got a 16"er the other day. gonna go out myself this weekend when it raining so it should be fun. lol. be sure to fish just above tidewater. good luck
James

S
StonedFly
I grew up on the north fork of the chetco river and loved to fish for searun cutts. My favorite way of catching them was a small red with gold or silver mepps spinner, or a nightcrawler. There were also lots of small brown bullhead and when i would catch one I'd us that as bait too. My biggest catch was around 20" but I saw lots of larger fish run up the river. Also amazing river for salmon and steelhead. Since I have begun flyfishing the past 9 years I havent made it back to this river but its definitely on my list. Oh boy do I miss this river..

G
GDBrown
The Wilson also has some Cuts in it. I was down there earlier this week having fun with a black wooly bugger with a red bead just above it. Like using a corkie, the smallest red bead I had. They seemed to like it I caught and released several fishing just before dark.

S
steelhead1
I am strictly c&r for all wild salmonids/trout.I would love to see those coastal cutties make a comeback.

S
steelhead1
found the fish.reverse spiders with a quick jerky retrieve,and small coachman were the ticket on the dries.Lotsa monsters in there this year!:D

G
GDBrown
Found?

Found?

steelhead1 said:
found the fish.reverse spiders with a quick jerky retrieve,and small coachman were the ticket on the dries.Lotsa monsters in there this year!:D

OK! Sooo where did you find them?:dance:

S
steelhead1
they are stacked by the hundreds around the mouths of small cool creeks down near tide water:D (suislaw river)

S
steelhead1
went back today and caught a bunch.I t was hard to stop fishin to take the pics when the fish were jumping all around me!:D

G
GDBrown
Cuts on a fly!!!!

Cuts on a fly!!!!

steelhead1 said:
went back today and caught a bunch.I t was hard to stop fishin to take the pics when the fish were jumping all around me!:D

Those look great!! What fly were you using and what time of day was it? I need to go again to feed my Need toFLY.:dance:

GD

S
steelhead1
fish were active from dawn till dusk,mostly hittin the reverse spiders in black and yellow,also a #18 dry coachman:D

F
Fishtopher
Nice fish!