Seaking 6 hp...glitches....

R
Rusty Stern
So I have this little 14' Kalama...not very heavy...good little boat.

My buddy has this old Seaking 6 hp for many years, just sitting in his shed.

He never really used it.

Whoever had it before took great care of it. All of the insides are very clean, like it was rebuilt or preserved.

So I get this motor from him for a song and throw in on my boat.

First time out it took some pulls to start and then would not stay running. My buddy told me the float was sticking since it had sat so long. Suggested I rebuild the carburetor. So I whack the carb with a screwdriver handle and it seems to straighten out.

But here is the glitch, it won't stay running for more than 3-5 minutes at a time, and then has to sit for a while before starting again.

It also seems to run awesome in neutral, but once in gear seems pretty sluggish. I know it is only 6 hp, but it should move my small boat better I would think. As it is, top speed is not much, or any, better than my Minkota.

Any thoughts on this?

B
bd2cool
Clean the carburetor,replace any fuel hoses, new spark plugs.

O
OnTheFly
Are you trolling in the 3 to 5 minute time period or actually cruising underway? Sounds to me like a fuel problem.

H
halibuthitman
vapor-lock? do you have the breather turned open on your fuel can? change your in-line fuel filter... and pump the priming bulb while you are running and the glitch appears- good luck

R
Rusty Stern
I pulled the plugs today and it sure looks like the top one was fuel fouled. Pretty wet and dark. The other looked normal.
Replaced both.

I am thinking that if the top plug was fouled, it would help explain the lack of power under full throttle, however I am not sure if it lends itself to the mystery of the 3-5 minute run time.

Will find out more tomorrow morning when I got to Estecada and attempt to use it. Minkota will be along for the ride in case it glitches out on me again.....

T
Thuggin4Life
I will say that i was very unimpressed by the power of a 6hp on my 12' so thats why i have a 15 now. sorry no other ideas on the problem other than what has been said.

H
Hawk
Rusty Stern said:
I pulled the plugs today and it sure looks like the top one was fuel fouled. Pretty wet and dark. The other looked normal.
Replaced both.

I am thinking that if the top plug was fouled, it would help explain the lack of power under full throttle, however I am not sure if it lends itself to the mystery of the 3-5 minute run time.

Will find out more tomorrow morning when I got to Estecada and attempt to use it. Minkota will be along for the ride in case it glitches out on me again.....

Sounds like one thing it could be is the Squeeze bulb on the fuel line.

Good Luck Bro.
:)

S
stream2.5
fuel pump is powerred off of crank case pressure on cyl number 1.. rebuild carb, rebuild pump, reset points and probably need a water pump as well.... 3to 5 min of run time is a fuel pump starvation problem...

R
Rusty Stern
With the new plugs it ran like a raped ape running with a club foot.
Plenty of power to push that 14' Kalama.
Not going to water ski behind it, however it went from wonderingif it would have enough power to troll to wondering if I would be able to run it slow enough to troll.

For about 5 minutes.

Then died.

Repeated the scenario a bit later and then gave up.

Stream...good info!

Here is another question.....will it shut down if it is over-heating?

A buddy told me to run a 50:1 mix, however I have seen info on other old seakings calling for 24:1.
I was also wondering aout the water pump. I cannot tell if it is spitting water or not. Can't look over the motor far enough to see without risking going ass over stern.

I will have to post a pic of the cowling and maybe someone might have an idea what year it might be or where I might find the model number.

J
joesnuffy
is it getting "too much" fuel? it could take the 3-5 minutes of running to flood it out..... just a thought.

M
mudslinging79
get a 50 gallon drum to test run it in, then you can see if its peeing like it should, or you can touch the block by the plugs after it dies, if you can't touch it cause its too hot, its overheating. next time it starts to die hit the primer bulb in the hose, if it picks up and smooths out, you may need to rebuild/replace the fuel pump.

S
steelheadstalker31
It sounds like the fuel pump to me.