Sea run cutthroat advice

D
Denverjon
I'm going to be visiting the Oregon coast later this week. I have a goal of catching all the subspecies of cutthroat tried and and would love to spend a few mornings fishing for sea runs to see if I can scratch this one off my list. Does anyone know of a guide who specializes in sea runs? If a guide isn't needed, maybe someone will be nice enough to suggest a couple of places for me try. I know nothing about the area but that's what Google Earth is for! I could fish anywhere from Newport north. I I'd be happy to return the favor if anyone needs advice on fishing Colorado or Wyoming...

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Coastal cutthroat and their sea-run variant are very aggressive biters and readily take flies and small spinners. Any of the coastal streams at the head of tide or lower couple of miles above tide will be holding fish right now. The siletz river has some in right now, try parking at ojalla park on Hwy 229. Walk upstream on the trail and down to the riffle and pool. There will be fish there for sure.

D
Denverjon
O. mykiss said:
Coastal cutthroat and their sea-run variant are very aggressive biters and readily take flies and small spinners. Any of the coastal streams at the head of tide or lower couple of miles above tide will be holding fish right now. The siletz river has some in right now, try parking at ojalla park on Hwy 229. Walk upstream on the trail and down to the riffle and pool. There will be fish there for sure.
Thanks for the reply, I'll try that spot. Do you have any flies to recommend?

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I personally don’t fly fish for them a lot, but the Borden special is a great fly for sea runs. Any smallish flashy streamers should draw strikes, like all cutthroat they are aggressive biters. You can also drive Hwy 34 along the Alsea river, there are lots of county parks and spots to walk down to the river.

Reactions: troutdude
D
Denverjon
Great, thanks!

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Denverjon said:
Great, thanks!
Good luck and post pictures! They are beautiful fish

troutdude
troutdude
@Denverjon ... X2 on the Borden Specials. They were created decades ago, by the legendary Blue Back (sea run cutts) fisherman Bob Borden.
1663789249006.png
1663789190117.png

troutdude
troutdude
P.S. Blue backs also GORGE themselves, in fresh water, on small crawdad fry. So small brown Rooster Tail spinners will also get you some bites!

D
Denverjon
I want to thank everyone for their advice. I caught cutts in the Siletz, Trask and Drift Creek. I think they were resident cutts as opposed to sea runs but at the end of the day it really didn't matter as it was fun exploring new places.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Nice work, checked a species off the list

troutdude
troutdude
Denverjon said:
I want to thank everyone for their advice. I caught cutts in the Siletz, Trask and Drift Creek. I think they were resident cutts as opposed to sea runs but at the end of the day it really didn't matter as it was fun exploring new places.
You're welcome.

Did you use any Borden Specials or brown Rooster Tails?

Is that the Drift Creek that's part of the Siletz basin? Or did you go south to the Drift Creek on the Alsea basin?

D
Denverjon
I did use the Borden Special and that seemed to be the ticket. Thanks for the advice! I fished the Drift Creek that's part of the Siletz basin.

troutdude
troutdude
Denverjon said:
I did use the Borden Special and that seemed to be the ticket. Thanks for the advice! I fished the Drift Creek that's part of the Siletz basin.
Most excellent! I once saw a pair of old-timers buy DOZENS of Borden specials, from my friend Mitch at Two Rivers fly shop in Albany. I’ve not fished that creek before. But have sure heard about it a lot over the years. Glad you were successfull!

D
Denverjon
I actually bought them from Mitch also. He was very helpful. You should check out the creek someday, the fish aren't big but it's very pretty.

• Love
troutdude
troutdude
Denverjon said:
I actually bought them from Mitch also. He was very helpful. You should check out the creek someday, the fish aren't big but it's very pretty.
That's awesome. I've known Mitch for around 40 years or so; and he is indeed a great guy. Thank you for doing business with him.

Reactions: OneMomentOneDay
Blue Lines
Blue Lines
troutdude said:
That's awesome. I've known Mitch for around 40 years or so; and he is indeed a great guy. Thank you for doing business with him.
+1 for Mitch, he’s my guy too.