sea run cut-throat

D
dad&sonfishin
I am new to the fishing forum and I have never fished the Wilson. I was going to try and catch some sea run cut throat this friday. I was wondering where there might be good hole and what type of rigging and bait to use? Any help would be great. If there is some good action I might take my son on Saturday, thanks again. :D

T
Thuggin4Life
good luck. use spinners and spoons like you would for regular trout. not my area but there is a map in the archives of some good holes. search for it. good luck. also my experiances have been on flashers and worms trout trolling and on coho gear trolling so not an expert but still some good advice.

S
SmallStreams
Searuns share one behavior with steelhead on their spawning runs: they like to be invisible at the bottom of holes. However, unlike steelhead, you don't have to bounce a spinner off their nose... they're quite happy to swim a distance and then strike at a shallow-running spinner. Wobblers are effective, too.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

All of the above advice is good. And I have a few things to add.

I'm not familiar w/ the Wilson. But, it may not be open for trout and / or may have "special regs" like no bait for example. So, do read your ODFW reg book before venturing out.

If you are allowed to use bait: try a wedding ring spinner w/ a hot pink body and about 1/2 of a worm/nightcrawler.

Or, get some Borden Special flies (it's the one in my Avatar). It was specifically designed for Blue Backs (sea run cutts), about 30 years ago--and is VERY popular.

Plus, the Borden fly was designed to mimic a hot pink rooster tail. So, you might try rooster tails in that color too.

I have also heard that they like pink/white combo's too.

Good luck!

D
dad&sonfishin
thanks for all of your help, I will check the regs, thanks again for all your help.

C
civicfun
start at elk creek and work your way down i fish it a lot and there are steelies in deadline along with trout if you fish low on the wilson use heavy line you never no what you might get. good luck

M
michigan_transplant
Flasher with a leader and a worm is what i got two of them on this year.

troutdude
troutdude
I was assuming that you would be bank fishing. But, MT is right on the money for a trolling set up!

brandon4455
brandon4455
i use a worm with an egg hook and a leader as long as your arm with a corkie as a strike indicator i slammed sea runs with that on the salmon river at the 101 bridge