Sea Lions killing sturgeon @ Bonneville!

N

nwkiller

wow, i hate sealions.........yep i said hate.......

brandon4455

brandon4455

30-06 or a 12 gauge thats all i have to say. it really disgusts me.

C

colbypearson

not what i would consider stellar

T

Troutier Bassier

its sad that ODFW dosen't make a season for them or something. Can you imagine how much money they would make off selling tags for those puppies?

B

Bad Tuna

its sad that ODFW dosen't make a season for them or something. Can you imagine how much money they would make off selling tags for those puppies?

Probably because Stellar sea lions are protected under the marine mammal protection act. Even if the Feds allowed a hunting season, the environmental groups throw up lawsuits to stop it.

Beaverfan is correct in that they are just doing what comes natural. We created the bottleneck (Bonneville dam), so it's up to us to correct it. Now that these animals have virtually no predators to keep them in check, it's mans job to do it. The Indians claiming tribal rights to hunt sealions may be the quickest, most sure option.

J

John B

Doesn't seem quite fair they don't have a retention period and a quota also ?

G

GDBrown

Idiots

Idiots

I found it interesting that the protesters were just using the sea lions as a reason to remove the dams.... "Don't Kill the Sea Lions, Take out the dams!" They're more short sighted than Feds when it comes to rational thought. The feds won't do anything to the Stellars because they are predating on a species that is not on the "List" ... So are they going to wait until they have to "List" sturgeon before anything is allowed to be done.
It usually comes down to economics, and this appears to be the case here as well. The dams provide needed electricity for the regions industries as well as safe passage for shipping up river and down. All northwest states depends on the Columbia/Snake rivers for water management (flood control), power, transportation and irrigation. While the liberals here in Portland may not think it is important to our overall economy the evidence says otherwise. So the dams are here to stay, that part will not change until the dams become so expensive to maintain that it becomes economically necessary to remove/replace them.

Just another 2cents,
GD

M

muskieguide

I say if the humane society wants them around so bad, they can foot the bill for them. Then we'll see how much they like em. Other than that, I say kill em all

N

nwkiller

It aint the sealions fault, they're just doing what they do. It's our damn fault!

yep, i slapped that sea lion around and said "listen B****, your gonna eat the S*** outta those oversize sturgeon"....
....your right it is our fault.......no season to hunt them....
You know the state paid $20,000 to harmlessly drive a full grown sealion back down to fishermans warf in san francisco...2 weeks later, its back...money well spent...

Beaverfan is there an issue between us, seems like everything u direct toward me is refering that im wrong....did i say something in a past thread. Infact you dont even comment on my threads, you just comment when u feel that im wrong. So cheers to u being right......

B

beaverfan

yep, i slapped that sea lion around and said "listen B****, your gonna eat the S*** outta those oversize sturgeon"....
....your right it is our fault.......no season to hunt them....
You know the state paid $20,000 to harmlessly drive a full grown sealion back down to fishermans warf in san francisco...2 weeks later, its back...money well spent...

Beaverfan is there an issue between us, seems like everything u direct toward me is refering that im wrong....did i say something in a past thread. Infact you dont even comment on my threads, you just comment when u feel that im wrong. So cheers to u being right......

No the reason it's OUR fault is because we built the dams that the Sturgeon are pooling up next to while they are getting obliterated and too many people are too big of weenies to kill the problem sealions. No I don't have a problem with you at all but it's pretty dumb to hate an animal that is just doing what animals do. Especially when the real problem is us. It would be impossible for us to ever have a season since they are protected by marine mammals act. It sucks but it's the way it is!

T

the_intimidator03

i do recall that we WERE trapping/relocationg/shooting the sea lions up until recently........population is at full capacity on seals LOL

N

nwkiller

No the reason it's OUR fault is because we built the dams that the Sturgeon are pooling up next to while they are getting obliterated and too many people are too big of weenies to kill the problem sealions. No I don't have a problem with you at all but it's pretty dumb to hate an animal that is just doing what animals do. Especially when the real problem is us. It would be impossible for us to ever have a season since they are protected by marine mammals act. It sucks but it's the way it is!

agreed.

sorry i kinda jumped down your throat

A

Amberjack

Ahhh Sea Lions, the love of my life. Come to the Historic Newport Bay front. I live with the SOB's everyday. No dams, no restrictions, just huge fat bastards, that ruin docks. Noise level is deafening. We as anglers are depleting the Salmon fishery.. I don't think so. The problem is they are a protected species and have proliferated to the point they are a nuisance to the sport fishery and property. I pay a lease to float docks that I own. We have developed a method to keep sea lions off of our docks.

It never fails at least twice a summer we get a granola person in our office demanding that we remove the line/flasher that's wrapped and cutting into a sea lions hide. That's because they feel we did this to them. Yes it is not pretty, raw flesh, blood, but again, an overprotected species. We explain that it is not our responsibility, and about a half an hour later OSP arrives on an animal cruelty report. We explain and they leave say "Have a nice day".

Sea Lions are a huge tourist draw to the Newport area, draws lots of people to local businesses. Two years ago a pod of Orcas arrived in the bay.. guess food was on their mind. Rumor, and I say Rumor has it that the USCG chased out the pod, due to tourism issues.

G

GDBrown

Some people have no idea how large the Stellar Sea lions can get. In Alaska they say they get to be twice as heavey as Grizzly Bears! I don't think I was to get one pissed OFF at me. I can understand why fisherman get scared when they show up behind their boat on the Willy.

R

rainbowfisherman

Heres what I've always thought, what is a more valuable resource to us? Salmon? Or sea lions? Salmon. I'm not saying that we should kill all the sea lions because they don't help us out. But with Sea Lion populations growing rapidly in rivers , and Salmon and sturgeon numbers plummeting. It seems like our main goal would be to try and preserve our fish right now. Sea Lions are smart animals, they used to stay away because if they got to close, they were shot. But now, I think they know that they won't be hurt. It's free food for them. Just my .02$

Top Bottom