Sea lions killed, but Columbia salmon toll rises

R
rainman
Killing or removing 25 California sea lions over the past two years has not reduced the toll on salmon at the base of Bonneville Dam in the Columbia River.

So 'remove' more sea lions, duh.
 
S
skunk
I agree. I'm all for a sea lion season. I'd support it by buying a license!
 
Y
youngbuck307
I think when they get traped go down and get let back go well all they are doing is telling there buddies\offspring to come on up with them and get a free feast.... why not just kill all the ones that are up here then they can't show any others how to do it..... how long has this been a problem at the dam??? ever scents day one at the dam or is it something that just started a few years ago and has just picked up in numbers the last few years???
 
O
OnTheFly
I think the survey only focuses on the amount of salmon eaten by sealions and not how many more die as a result of a fatal bite wound. Dams make it 'un-naturally easy' for sealions to catch and eat salmon therefore, better management of preditors should be implemented to even the playing field. Did somebody mention an open season?:D

A trial judge rejected the organization's arguments that dams and fishermen kill more fish than the sea lions,

Yeah, and fishermen probably do kill or catch more fish than sealions but that's because we're so good at it!:dance:
 
Last edited:
B
bigdog
I don't like the fact that the sea lions are eating the fish as much as the next person and wouldn't hurt to have a open season on them. I would like to know how the hell these sea lions found there way to this dam and found that they could get such a easy meal.
If you look at the numbers though 4,960 salmon and steelhead ate in the spring of this year, now that is both salmon and steelhead and the returning salmon run for the same year is 186,060 and as I read it thats just the salmon return number. By what the numbers say that isn't that much to me. I'm not saying that it's ok and that they should be able to stay there but the larger problem as I see it is the gil netters. The sea lions have been eating salmon and steelhead before we ever had a pole to fish for them. I don't think they are to blame for the dent that is put in the runs.
Just my thought on this for what it matters.
CJ
 
M
Markcanby
I would have to agree with CJ. We have bigger problems then sea lions when it comes to salmon an steelhead numbers.
 
F
Fishtopher
I disagree strongly there. Its a personal safety issue. We made the problem, and now we need to fix it.
And fish getting eat'n is just part of the problem. Ive heard of a few close calls, and seen a few really close calls myself.
Guys that fish there know! When you get a fish on, DONT stand up!! They see you stand up, and they are on your fish in a split second! And I havent heard of it yet, but the day is soon coming when an unfortunate fisherman looses a hand while trying to release a fish.

Its not just salmon/steelhead. They are puttin a hurtin' to the sturgeon down there pretty bad.
 
B
bigdog
Fishtopher said:
I disagree strongly there. Its a personal safety issue. We made the problem, and now we need to fix it.
And fish getting eat'n is just part of the problem. Ive heard of a few close calls, and seen a few really close calls myself.
Guys that fish there know! When you get a fish on, DONT stand up!! They see you stand up, and they are on your fish in a split second! And I havent heard of it yet, but the day is soon coming when an unfortunate fisherman looses a hand while trying to release a fish.

Its not just salmon/steelhead. They are puttin a hurtin' to the sturgeon down there pretty bad.

With that being said I would agree something needs to be done. I was only reffering to what was being spoke of, salmon wise they are a small dent of the problem, safety wise they would seem to be a large problem and something needs to be done to stop that problem.
 
M
Mike123
Compare the population increase of sea lions to how many of them they have killed. We need to get the numbers down to what they were before there were dams. It may be sad to some crazy liberal minded hippies, but something needs to be done. :confused:
 
M
masmith
Mike123 said:
Compare the population increase of sea lions to how many of them they have killed. We need to get the numbers down to what they were before there were dams. It may be sad to some crazy liberal minded hippies, but something needs to be done. :confused:

lol
 
B
bigdog
Mike123 said:
Compare the population increase of sea lions to how many of them they have killed. We need to get the numbers down to what they were before there were dams. It may be sad to some crazy liberal minded hippies, but something needs to be done. :confused:

Now I'm not some crazy liberal minded hippy but for argument sake on something like this it can go all ways. At one time and still they think of coho and chinook salmon as a indangered species so if the numbers of them were to get well above what it was should something be done about that? What about the human raise as we know it? The numbers of humans that once was is well above and grow so should something be done about that?

Don't take this the wrong way I agree some things are getting a little out of hand and need something to be done to control them but at the same timeI like to try to see things from both sides of it. I try to see what the other side think and put it together with how I feel about things.

I want more fish to fish for just as much as the next person on here. But the sea lions aren't to blame for the numbers going down or anything it is the humans that get away with what they get away with with the gill netting. As far as was said by Fishtopher (Chris) with thing being dangerous for people because of the sea lions yes something should and needs to be done about that no dout about it.
 
M
Mike123
bigdog said:
Now I'm not some crazy liberal minded hippy but for argument sake on something like this it can go all ways. At one time and still they think of coho and chinook salmon as a indangered species so if the numbers of them were to get well above what it was should something be done about that? What about the human raise as we know it? The numbers of humans that once was is well above and grow so should something be done about that?

Don't take this the wrong way I agree some things are getting a little out of hand and need something to be done to control them but at the same timeI like to try to see things from both sides of it. I try to see what the other side think and put it together with how I feel about things.

I want more fish to fish for just as much as the next person on here. But the sea lions aren't to blame for the numbers going down or anything it is the humans that get away with what they get away with with the gill netting. As far as was said by Fishtopher (Chris) with thing being dangerous for people because of the sea lions yes something should and needs to be done about that no dout about it.

You sound radical.. Human race? Are you serious? Maybe you should go on a murderous rampage and solve the problem then. :lol:
I think God keeps the population level in check with natural disasters and what not. ;)
 
R
rainman
Putting in a dam with fish ladders concentrates the fish in a way that w/o the dam, they wouldn't be. I wouldn't mind seeing more measures to level the playing field.
I strongly agree that there are bigger issues affecting the fish than just sea lions. Like GILL NETS. IMO
 
B
bigdog
Mike123 said:
You sound radical.. Human race? Are you serious? Maybe you should go on a murderous rampage and solve the problem then. :lol:
I think God keeps the population level in check with natural disasters and what not. ;)

I think you are missing what I'm saying here. To bissy trying to label someone as a type of person. I'm not no radical as well as I'm not a tree hugger:naughty:. Was just trying to make a point. The sea lions aren't to blame for salmon numbers as much as people that gill net them or nature changes.

Some people have selective hearing and some have selective reading. :lol:
 
M
Mike123
bigdog said:
I think you are missing what I'm saying here. To bissy trying to label someone as a type of person. I'm not no radical as well as I'm not a tree hugger:naughty:. Was just trying to make a point. The sea lions aren't to blame for salmon numbers as much as people that gill net them or nature changes.

Some people have selective hearing and some have selective reading. :lol:

:lol: Well if you trying to make a point you need to use something that's verifiable. I don't think you can compare somthing needing to be done about human population compare to sea lion's. They are animal's. People are suppose to rule over animals and effectively MANAGE them. The fact is we only MANAGE selected things in nature. We manage lots of animals for the fact that they are considered "game." But sea lions are "protected" from management for some dam reason. It's called balance. There are a lot of animals that without management(aka hunting) would overpopulate affecting many other aspects to humans lives.

Figure out something useful with sea lions (meat, clothing etc...) and let the "management" begin. :dance:

I agree though they are a somewhat small factor, but a factor none the less. No one can change nature, but we can change a lot of other factors that would help the runs out.
 
O
OnTheFly
Managment

Managment

Anytime we do something that interferes with nature, we create reprocussions that need to be adjusted or managed. Example, years ago deer were introduced to New Zealand and, in the begining, the only indiginous thing there were birds and bugs with the exception of a lizard found on an offshore island. Anyway, since there were no predators in the country to keep the deer population in check, they became over populated and started to destroy entire areas of natural foliage. Only by strict management of the deer resulted in the reduction of the damage they made. By the way, in New Zealand you can hunt deer any time of the year and there are no limits. You can even hunt them from a helecopter. My point is that preservation of any species on the planet is our responsibility and we must do all we can to achieve that. Dams will not go away and if it comes right down to it salmon would be allowed to go extinct before this country gives up electrical power. Therefore we need to focus on the other elements that reduce fish population within our control. Oh, and don't worry about the human race Nature will manage us some day.
 
Last edited:
B
bigdog
I have to say well put Onthefly. Everything does need some management to a degree. I for one am very happy they do what they can to help keep the salmon runs going, but wish they could or would do more to help them. :think:

For the record I wasn't saying humans need to die it was a example that was took to literal.:lol:
 
Y
youngbuck307
Mike123;70561 Figure out something useful with sea lions (meat said:
you would think that there is a native american trib somewhere that could use them!!!!! why not give them the rights to comedown and hunt them if they are up north or shot them and ship them up lol:lol: there has to be something they can be used for and natives are the people that normaly will use every part of a animal not just one!!
 
O
OnTheFly
bigdog said:
I have to say well put Onthefly. Everything does need some management to a degree. I for one am very happy they do what they can to help keep the salmon runs going, but wish they could or would do more to help them. :think:

For the record I wasn't saying humans need to die it was a example that was took to literal.:lol:

No worries bigdog I wasn't pointing a finger at you:) Guess I hold a grudge on sealions or anything else that can catch salmon easier than I can.:D
 
M
Mike123
bigdog said:
I have to say well put Onthefly. Everything does need some management to a degree. I for one am very happy they do what they can to help keep the salmon runs going, but wish they could or would do more to help them. :think:

For the record I wasn't saying humans need to die it was a example that was took to literal.:lol:

Wasn't taken literally... I said it's a bad comparison. :lol:

Glad you agree with my opinion on management.. oh I mean onthefly's..
 

Similar threads

The Guides Forecast
Replies
0
Views
477
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Replies
0
Views
63
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Replies
0
Views
387
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Replies
0
Views
99
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Top Bottom