Sea lion population reduction...

C
chad wiest
This is awesome!

M
mikeee2362
I know a good place to get 6 more of their 30 bag limit...

Admin
Admin
hay rogerdodger
would you please tell me in two words how did the situation with sea lions changed since 2010?

O
oregondragonfly
they are ''SEA'' lions and any one of them past the I-5 bridge should be fair game so the others won't follow. salmon aren't the only fish on there menu, sturgeon are also being decimated now that they know how to go after them. give the people that want to save them a year to move them after that put a bounty on the rest. they don't need to be 100 miles inland in fresh water killing fish that are endangered, even one fish saved puts 100s of eggs and fry that could make it back to spawn some day. dfly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwmD4ejBW24

T
TTFishon
I wonder how far the seals came inland before the dams were put into place?

M
mikeee2362
TTFishon said:

Or commercial "over" fishing killed the numbers of fish available in the ocean and tide waters.

C
chrisohm
I think they are best served with drone strikes...lots of drone strikes. In some cases where they congregate we could take them all out with one punch. It would also be nice if they would take out all those fat ones in OC below the falls so that people in the upper Willamette can have more fish to chase. Too bad we can't train them to just flush the fish into our lures....

J
JonT
I saw one last week at the mouth of Tanner Creek about 10 feet in front of me. It freaked me out big time.

Y
Yuriy
Seems like every time I see one it's eating a fish.

J
JeannaJigs
TTFishon said:

I'm at work and don't have the link that's saved at home, but fish population studies going back to the 70's documented "very few" sealions more than 10 miles inland. 10 miles is a pretty normal range for pinnipeds in lower river estuaries, but 156 miles upriver, is not. there are THOUSANDS in the river above that ten miles up to bonneville and then they figured out it's a similar shirt show at willamette falls, and have cashed in there too.

Until the manmade obstacle is removed, man needs to control the problem. 6 is nothing. it will not impact the population. It's a step I guess, but compared to how many are up there it's just a sliver.

I love the bleeding heart liberals that don't know anything about any of the population studies that have been done, or the that there have been many relocation attempts, that all comment about how fishermen are the a-holes and the state needs to relocate them blah blah blah....gah, I wish people would read before they start typing, or open their mouths.

M
Modest_Man
TTFishon said:

Harbor seals historically went up the Columbia and Willamette. I'm guessing you mean sea lions, which weren't seen upriver in the Columbia and Willamette until the 1980's. A select few likely followed up runs of smelt and then learned about the lovely man-made buffet below Bonneville and the falls. They're smart animals.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
Three words:

Business as usual

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2010/03/odfw_kills_first_california_se.html

Seems like a good response to keep things in balance to me.

Best,

Anatoliy-

I am with Eugene1 here- trying to balance out the effect of the dams (slowing up and concentrating the fish). Sea Lions in open water and rivers are not a problem IMO, action is needed when they take advantage of the dams and once they find that easier fishing area, seems like none of the non-lethal methods have worked. cheers, roger

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
I'm at work and don't have the link that's saved at home, but fish population studies going back to the 70's documented "very few" sealions more than 10 miles inland. 10 miles is a pretty normal range for pinnipeds in lower river estuaries, but 156 miles upriver, is not. there are THOUSANDS in the river above that ten miles up to bonneville and then they figured out it's a similar shirt show at willamette falls, and have cashed in there too.

Until the manmade obstacle is removed, man needs to control the problem. 6 is nothing. it will not impact the population. It's a step I guess, but compared to how many are up there it's just a sliver.

I love the bleeding heart liberals that don't know anything about any of the population studies that have been done, or the that there have been many relocation attempts, that all comment about how fishermen are the a-holes and the state needs to relocate them blah blah blah....gah, I wish people would read before they start typing, or open their mouths.

I hope you're not calling me a bleeding heart liberal. I just asked a simple question.

J
JeannaJigs
No Ted I answered your question and then went off on an tangent, if you read the comments from the kgw Facebook posting it will make your skin crawl there is a ridiculous amount of ignorance from those that spend no time on the water yet think they know what's best about the situation completely ignoring scientific research and facts

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
No Ted I answered your question and then went off on an tangent, if you read the comments from the kgw Facebook posting it will make your skin crawl there is a ridiculous amount of ignorance from those that spend no time on the water yet think they know what's best about the situation completely ignoring scientific research and facts

lol. just checking