Scent?

U
upstate88
First choice is yes or no on the scent decision assuming yes the choices seem endless. The scent would be applied to say some yarn, yarn above a bead, or jig.

I have been looking at old threads and it seems like everyone has a preference but I also stumbled across a few people saying one scent for springers and another for winter runs?

Different scents for different lures?

Baits with scent built in; like power bait pink worms, power bait egg clusters?

or anyone try the x factor egg clusters, and x factor OTHER baits (they have scent options when ordering)?

Also just thought I would say thanks to all that have been responding to my excessive posts in the past month.

J
JeannaJigs
The long and short of it is, yes.

I have a good dozen scents I carry in the boat. I use probably 3 of them regularly, but when it's slow I change things up. Mike's smelly jelly has a bazillion different scented thick jelly scents you can slather on whatever your heart desires. Salmon are chemical junkies and will key in on different scents than steelhead.

T
TimberTodd
Oil based scents will gum up the marabou on your jig. I learned this the hard way. Make sure to use a water based one.

Artwo
Artwo
That's correct, do not use oil based scents on marabou feather jigs. It will ruin them and you can not clean it out entirely even with oil cutting dish soaps. I use nothing buy gel scents on my jigs exclusively. I only apply it to the jig head and/or on the leader. On marabou jigs I usually don't use any scent at all due to the type of feather they are and how easy the action can be altered by oils. If anything, on marabou type jigs, I'll used natural baits like sandshrimp, prawn chunk, crawfish chunk, etc.

My top three winter steelhead scents are:
Bloody Tuna
Sandshrimp
Craw Anise

S
Steelheader4Life
I agree with Artwo on the top 3 scents. The only difference is I would put Anise Craw as number one ;) I will say they all work at any given time so experiment and find out what works best for you.

U
upstate88
the pro cure I am using was specifically made for jigs and does nothing to the action of the jig. It is some stinky stuff I smelled the jig after an hour of fishing and I could detect it. I fish from the bank so I am trying to keep things light so maybe just keep going with the bloody tuna.

Are you guys putting scent on yarn above a bead?

Casting Call
Casting Call
Here's one scent trail gizzmo that i use when the application is right---------tapered ear plugs-----any color of choice(my fav is pink/chartuse)-----vacumm seal in scent of choice----------this draws the scent deep inside the foam and leeches very very slowly also floats above the bottom when bobber-dogg'n----i have many scents--my favorite is bloody tuna-------I use the scented ear plugs in front of all sorts------like a pink or white worm----try some you'll like it ----i got that secret from the Bushs bean dog Tony

plumbertom
plumbertom
Casting Call said:
Here's one scent trail gizzmo that i use when the application is right---------tapered ear plugs-----any color of choice(my fav is pink/chartuse)-----vacumm seal in scent of choice----------this draws the scent deep inside the foam and leeches very very slowly also floats above the bottom when bobber-dogg'n----i have many scents--my favorite is bloody tuna-------I use the scented ear plugs in front of all sorts------like a pink or white worm----try some you'll like it ----i got that secret from the Bushs bean dog Tony
There's some good info here, Thanks guys.
I've been using a homemade scent for years.
I've found it works great for trout, landlocked coco's, white bass, Stripers, and even catfish.
I start with menhaden oil, then use about 1/2 as much essential anise oil, from there I add whatever extract I want to slant it toward, shellfish, cheese, garlic, blood, or what ever you think might work for the fish you're targeting. I use the extracts sparingly both because a little goes a long ways and because they run from around $6 an oz. up trom trapping lure suppliers.

D
DrTheopolis
Artwo said:
I only apply it to the jig head and/or on the leader.

A tiny bit of Smelly Jelly on the knot itself works and lasts.

hobster
hobster
I have been using Steelhead Stalkers Krill/Ainse scent and like it a lot. Locally made and sold at Oregon Rod, Reel and Tackle in Eugene. Chad from SS is on the forum and pops up once in a while. Support Local Business!!
I usually tie a little chenile at the top of my maribou jigs and apply a little scent there, doesn't mess with the maribou action if you are careful. Only need a drop.

T
TimberTodd
Casting Call said:

Back in the 80s my dad and I were fishing the Coos for salmon. We were drifting eggs and shrimp. We ran out of shrimp so he took an orange foam ear plug and squeezed it in the remaining shrimp juice. Minutes later it was fish on!

Casting Call
Casting Call
hobster said:
I have been using Steelhead Stalkers Krill/Ainse scent and like it a lot. Locally made and sold at Oregon Rod, Reel and Tackle in Eugene. Chad from SS is on the forum and pops up once in a while. Support Local Business!!
I usually tie a little chenile at the top of my maribou jigs and apply a little scent there, doesn't mess with the maribou action if you are careful. Only need a drop.
instead of chenile try scenting just a san juan worm at the very end of your line of ur bug stick ---trout love it Tony

Last edited:
N
newspin
all i have to say is:worthy: wont bother making spinner scent thread you guys covered it. i like plug idea see if i can't use it on spinner only cut to smaller size or strips and tip hook with

hobster
hobster
Casting Call said:
instead of chenile try scenting just a san juan worm at the very end of your line of ur bug stick ---trout love it Tony

Interesting, i might have to try that. I pretty much only use the bug wand for trout, and mostly jigs for steelies. The best jig fisherman i know uses no scent on his steelie jigs (and he kills it!) but i like it and it sure can't hurt!

O
OnTheDrop
90% of the time I fish without scent.... Want to know the most important thing to catch fish? Selecting the right lure/jig or whatever it may be, and PRESENTING it RIGHT....

cheers,

hobster
hobster
H
homerhomer
Scent is a tough one. Some days I praise it, other days I think it's doing more harm than good.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Artwo
Artwo
homerhomer said:
Scent is a tough one. Some days I praise it, other days I think it's doing more harm than good.

I would agree 100%..........

Typically I don't fish with scent, but rather it's just one more item you can throw at them to change things up a bit during the day if nothing else is working.......

C
CastingCall
homerhomer said:

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Scent will give you one MORE tool to attract and improve your pull-down rate numbers--the catching is up to you