Scent

G

GoDucks1

What kind of scent do you guys use on steelhead setups (if any)? About how much do you apply? Thanks to all for any advice.

Go Ducks

J

JeannaJigs

What kind of scent do you guys use on steelhead setups (if any)? About how much do you apply? Thanks to all for any advice.

Go Ducks
I use anise/craw because it doesn't stink like dead fish :) lol (sometimes I break down and whip out the stinky shrimp though, but haven't had much luck with the shrimp?)

I use mike's smelly jelly, it's semi thick goo and I use just a tiny bit, it goes a long ways.

I've caught fish using it, so seems to work?

G

GoDucks1

Thanks Jeanna. Is this smelly jelly pretty widely available at sporting goods stores?

J

JeannaJigs

Thanks Jeanna. Is this smelly jelly pretty widely available at sporting goods stores?
Yup, you can get it at joes for 5 bucks, think it's the same price at bi-mart too. big huge bottle of the stuff, it will last you forever. Keep it in a ziplock bag though, I've had them leak in my tackle bag and it's a nasty mess that isn't fun to deal with, my bag still smells like anise, but hey that's better than herring.

L

luv2fish

smelly jelly anise..or pautzke fire krill...thats what i use....for bait i usually spray with mike's glo shrimp.....for some reasons springers like mike's glo shrimp...

A

ArcticAmoeba

You don't need scent, on lures, or yarnies. Just bait cures, and tipping jigs works well too. The fish might think twice if there is a visual cue, and a nasal cue as well. Just one more opportunity to turn away. Wash your stuff. Steering wheel, shift knob, rod, reel, lures, rigs, line, swivels, hooks...Everything, in Lemon Joy... It will do wonders. I guarantee it. Even Steelhead fishin it helps out. And you can catch those dumb fish on chunks of Broccolli... Yes it has been done. Many times.

On the backtroll, that is another story. A grease trail is as good as chum for that type of fishing.

F

fishkiller

I have been using Pro Cure FISH OLA, which is a powder that I sprinkle on my eggs. It contains phermones that drives em nuts. I also use their anise oil.

F

fishnquest

"You don't need scent on lures or yarnies". For steelhead, I've heard that before and I agree with AA. They are dumb fish, loved the broccoli comment. Evidently I'm just too smart to catch one:D

A

ArcticAmoeba

a lot of people are cutting themselves short the last couple of years. The numbers of fish are just so low, and the number of anglers has been steadily rising. That makes for one thing. Less fish to split between more anglers. It will take more time to get into fish, especially if the body of water is not like home, but don't give up, there are plenty of fish to be had, but they will take a little more work.. Just that much more rewarding if you ask me.;)

And yes, I don't use scents applied to lures, or rigs for steelhead, only junk I throw at my eggs during the cure process, like FishKiller mentioned.

Top Bottom