Sawyers rapids down

4runnerneal
Was thinking about floating from sawyers rapids down on new years. Never done that stretch before. From every one I talked to you stay river right threw a shoot. Is the river level to low to do that stretch right now? Just wanted some advice before trying it. Every one at the take out last weekend said it wasn't to bad if you stay right. Any ideas or thoughts?

T
TimberTodd
I saw several dozen drift boats from there down to the next boat ramp Sunday.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Did it today. It's fine. You probably won't see any way to go but the right way. It's a good sized wave but hit it straight and you'll be fine. You'll also have LOTS of company so you'll see many boats going through before you.

If you give a good push on your oars just as you drop into the wave you'll splash less.

Edit: A friend that was with me today has done it at 2.9. Today it was 3.9 and in two days it could be at 3. Rocks below the big wave will be a factor at 3. More caution should be taken than I made it sound in the first paragraph of this post if the water is below 3.9.

Last edited:
O
OnTheDrop
jamisonace said:
Did it today. It's fine. You probably won't see any way to go but the right way. It's a good sized wave but hit it straight and you'll be fine. You'll also have LOTS of company so you'll see many boats going through before you.

If you give a good push on your oars just as you drop into the wave you'll splash less.

Good advice Jamie. Did you tear em up?

We might head down Thursday to get away from these 1-3 fish days up north.

T
Throbbit _Shane
If anyone has an open seat down there let me know!

4runnerneal
Thank you very much for the info!

jamisonace
jamisonace
We got two natives. It was my first time there so expectations were pretty low. Hoping to make it back out a couple more times in the next two weeks to dial it in a bit more.

I wouldn't say its as good as it I heard it was last week.

SteelmonKiller20 said:
Good advice Jamie. Did you tear em up?

We might head down Thursday to get away from these 1-3 fish days up north.

B
bran_man
Heard it's been packed down there but producing fish. Umpqua it's a mainly native run. From what I've been told chances of getting a clipper are about 1 in 8 fish (if that) still some great fighting beauties in there either way. I might have to brave the crowds myself....

jamisonace
jamisonace
Producing fish but not like it was last week. Clippers are more like 1 in 20. Expect to C&R.

bran_man said:
Heard it's been packed down there but producing fish. Umpqua it's a mainly native run. From what I've been told chances of getting a clipper are about 1 in 8 fish (if that) still some great fighting beauties in there either way. I might have to brave the crowds myself....

E
eat, sleep, fish
Thanks for the info Jamisonace. I'll be heading down there for my first time ever in the morning. Not expecting much, but good to know that it sounds like there will at least be a shot of getting into some fish.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Just got back from fishing it the last two days. There's definitely some fish stacked up in there, but results varied greatly. Some boats got skunked, while only a small handful did really well. For our first times ever being on the mainstem Umpqua we didn't do too bad. Hatchery fish are at least 1 in 20 right now, although we did talk to one boat who got 3 the first day. Side drifting eggs, and pink worms were both working.

O
OnTheDrop
^^ Nice Steven.

That is def your buddies signature pose.

I'm upset we didn't make it down there today. I'll be out there soon.

Good luck,

E
eugene1
Nice work!

eat said:
Just got back from fishing it the last two days. There's definitely some fish stacked up in there, but results varied greatly. Some boats got skunked, while only a small handful did really well. For our first times ever being on the mainstem Umpqua we didn't do too bad. Hatchery fish are at least 1 in 20 right now, although we did talk to one boat who got 3 the first day. Side drifting eggs, and pink worms were both working.