Saw something funny on river today

N

natro

Went down on the McKenzie down below the hatchery today. Came out to the bank and saw something I'd never seen before. A couple of guys up on top of 8 foot ladders fishing along the bank. Later on they were up river standing on them with them in the river. I'm assuming it's to get a good look at what's in the water because it's so low and clear. But as soon as I first saw that I just started laughing. Anybody else seen this method before??

L

lilsalmon

I seen that before....It was a fish ladder......:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

N

natro

I seen that before....It was a fish ladder......:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahahahhaha, I laughed at that, that's a good one. No, these guys were on work ladders LOL.

G

Growbug

yes i have heard of it, and no, havent seen it first hand yet. Your thoughts on 'getting a good look at the water' are bang on.
One question, how do you follow a fish up/down stream when you are on top of a ladder?

H

halibuthitman

yeah, its a nevada lake thing... i believe it was born on pyramid lake to be exact... kind of creative.

P

plumb2fish

did you happen to notice the 6' leaders and small glass beads? Wonder how a belly flop from that ladder would feel. word is these guys may soon know

P

plumb2fish

would be creative if these guys were fly fishing and using the ladders to be able to cast over brush ect.. these guys are simply snagging fish that will BITE:mad:

J

JeannaJigs

I've seen guys packing ladders down there and thought what the hell?! I'd love to see those snaggers go down in that 40 degree water.

T

Thuggin4Life

I have seen the mckenzie ladder squad out below leaburg before. One guy was up on top telling the guy standing next to him where to cast.

M

metalfisher76

If there is no bridge for yer buddy to stand, point and yell PULL! Then how else would they do it?:lol:

N

natro

did you happen to notice the 6' leaders and small glass beads? Wonder how a belly flop from that ladder would feel. word is these guys may soon know
Funny you mention the belly flop off the ladder. A couple of guys I was fishing next to were jokingly thinking of pooling up some money to the person who would go knock them off their ladders!

D

Damon79

I can's speak for the guys you are speaking of directly, but a lot of guys use a ladder for spotting fish. They then cast at them and are generally very successful at the end of the day. They also use the very best polarized glasses to get the absolute best view of the bottom they can. Some may snag from their ladders, but a lot of people are only increasing their odds of taking home a fish or three at the end of the day..

E

everett464

I still don't really get it. Do the glass beads attract the fish to the line, and then once there on, you pull the line through?

edit: I am just curious about these "cheating" techniques I keep hearing about. I am in no way interested in employing any of them. Hell, as a fly fisherman, I tend to cast judgment even on the more socially acceptable techniques that don't involve keeping a tight loop, and dropping a hand tied beauty in exactly the right spot.

Last edited:
T

Troutcatcher

Fish do bite beads! But the 10 ft leader you see people using are flossing some not.

M

metalfisher76

Actually glass beads can entice a bite. But the majority of peeps using `em don`t even know that.

18406ej

I agree with Damon79. While the boys out there may have been flossing, I have read of the use of ladders as viable means for spotting fish in some very old fishing books.

F

fishnquest

I can's speak for the guys you are speaking of directly, but a lot of guys use a ladder for spotting fish. They then cast at them and are generally very successful at the end of the day. They also use the very best polarized glasses to get the absolute best view of the bottom they can. Some may snag from their ladders, but a lot of people are only increasing their odds of taking home a fish or three at the end of the day..

Pick up any steelhead fishing textbook and you'll find the spotting with a ladder technique discussed. Just sounds like a lot of extra weight to carry to me.