Sauvie Island gate

Hey everyone...

I was out today scouting for some carp fishing spots and ran into a gate on Sauvie Island. I fished on the island once before (as a kid) but don't remember where it was at. I'm wondering if any of you that are familiar with the area know if that gate is permanently closed or if it opens during certain times of the year. The signs on the gate prohibited vehicles and pedestrians to pass it. Below is a Google Earth snapshot of where I'm talking about. Thanks in advance.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img528.imageshack.us\/img528\/3971\/sauvieisland.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hendo30

hey MIke,,not sure if that is a permanent closure. sounds like ODFW language and maybe some protected land. If you are looking for some good spots I know there is always great info in the OFF carp thread. Welcome to the forum and good luck against Rocha, I'll be watching

Thanks. And I have been looking over the forum for other locations. I was just trying to scout this area first. Damn road block got in the way though. I'll just have to try the other side of the island next time. Anyone have any idea how deep it gets in Sturgeon Lake and McNary Lake?

Thanks. And I have been looking over the forum for other locations. I was just trying to scout this area first. Damn road block got in the way though. I'll just have to try the other side of the island next time. Anyone have any idea how deep it gets in Sturgeon Lake and McNary Lake?
It opens april 15th and closes october 1st. Sturgeon is about 3 ft average. Mcnary is about 6 foot deep on average.

Sturgeon lake does. Oak island offers the best access for carp on sturgeon lake. It opens april 15th too. There are lots of carp there. I dont fish for carp alot but they are pretty much everywere. I catch them alot worm dunking. The gilbert river is good. I was talking to this guy who had a huge cooler full of huge carp. He told me he got the carp buy taking his kayak out to sturgeon lake and then wading and stabbed them with his knife. He reminded me of rambo. I have seen asian people with coolers full from the gilbert river. Sturgeon lake is a carp factory. Sturgeon is connected to the gilbert river. Mcnary is not. Put on a worm at sturgeon lake and you could catch anything.

john montana

Nearly all the water on sauvie is full of carp, I don't think you can go wrong out there. I got started fly fishing for them in the flooded fields. The gate opens mid April, it is a wildlife refuge.

I got out today and landed 6. Had to cover a ton of water to find them, it is just too cold still to sight fish for them in the shallows. Need a warm trend. Couple of pics on my blog, but no big ones today.

Nearly all the water on sauvie is full of carp, I don't think you can go wrong out there. I got started fly fishing for them in the flooded fields. The gate opens mid April, it is a wildlife refuge.

I got out today and landed 6. Had to cover a ton of water to find them, it is just too cold still to sight fish for them in the shallows. Need a warm trend. Couple of pics on my blog, but no big ones today.
Very nice! I know this probably sounds extremely crazy but I'm looking to spear carp with my speargun. Yes I plan on swimming out there with my fins, mask, and speargun mounted with my GoPro HD Hero 2 haha. However I am a bit worried about visibility and depth of the lakes. I'd just rather "hunt" these things than fish traditionally for them :)

Any thoughts?

john montana

That sounds like fun man. You might have to wait a while though...the visibility is probably crap out there right now. I know a ton of guys shoot them with bows on sauvies. I want a copy of that video if you pull it off!

I basically only fish for carp anymore. They get a lot bigger than the rest of the freshwater fish (except sturgeon) and I like the hunting aspect of stalking them with a flyrod. Another month or so and I will be in business. Last year I landed more than 20 carp over 20 lbs...and I do carry a digital scale and weigh the fish.

I have heard there are some big ones in sturgeon lake. Spearing them would be a nice break from training!

Yes it will be a nice break from training. Spearing fish is just fun to me. You should send me a PM and fill me in on where you normally catch your carp. Would love to scout more area and find some decent spots. Today I went on the other side of the island and ran into more signs talking about needing a hunting license to enter the area bla bla bla. I just wanna get in the water and see what I can find. My 5mm wetsuit should hold up well even in these temperatures. And I will be sure to upload the video on YouTube and post it here once I get some footage of me spearing some carp :)

Van

lol, Johns monster carp waters are a closely guarded secret. Folks around here have been asking for a while now. lol

john montana

I am a show not tell kind of guy...comes from my Montana upbringing. But I probably wouldn't walk a guy with a spear or bow into an area I know has a lot of big carp Mike. There are not as many 25-30 lbers out there as people think, and it is hard to catch and release with a spear! Sauvies would be a great place to spear fish. Tons of fish, and I have caught them over 20 lbs out there but you have to wade through a lot of 7 lbers to find em.

We will try to hook up this summer van. I can be tough to pin down, with two kids I often end up getting the green light at the last minute.

I am a show not tell kind of guy...comes from my Montana upbringing. But I probably wouldn't walk a guy with a spear or bow into an area I know has a lot of big carp Mike. There are not as many 25-30 lbers out there as people think, and it is hard to catch and release with a spear! Sauvies would be a great place to spear fish. Tons of fish, and I have caught them over 20 lbs out there but you have to wade through a lot of 7 lbers to find em.

We will try to hook up this summer van. I can be tough to pin down, with two kids I often end up getting the green light at the last minute.

Ya I'm obviously not looking to catch and release lol. I'm just looking for some crab bait and a good time. I don't have to go around slaying all the 20+lb carp haha. 7 pounders will work just as good for me :)

If you were up for it I'd join you for a day fishing trip to this "top secret" location. I'll promise to only kill the 10lb and under carp haha

Van

I appreciate it John. I am game and i understand the family commitments, I have a 3 year old myself. I am always willing to take off and toss a fly on a moments notice.

john montana

Oh, my kids don't stop me from fishing, they just stop me fom taking anyone along except them!

3b443b85.jpg

b955c03e.jpg

Looking forward to the warm weather.

Hendo30

Great picture:clap:, so would you use any type of air tank or you just running of some insane cardio? Just curious as you are the first person I have come across that spear fishes. I find it interesting