Saturday July 17th

O
Outdoor_Myers
Can anyone help me to determine how bad the surf will be on this day? I'm hoping for a calm ocean so I dont have to use more than 1 to two onces of weight.

I
ITSINTHEMOUTH
The forecast for that day calls for swells of 6ft ,Wind waves of 3 ft. And North wind of 15 to 20 kt. Not flat by all means but fishable with 1 to 2oz of weight. Where are you gonna be fishing? Good luck.

H
halibuthitman
NOAA weather.... but sometimes I use the old' sit in the garden of good and evil with a bottle of Ten High and shake the bones... but the cops are starting to really get tired of that... so I would just stick with a weather report.- good luck

O
Outdoor_Myers
fogarty state park. south of lincoln city... lol hitman sounds like good times!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Outdoor_Myers said:
Can anyone help me to determine how bad the surf will be on this day? I'm hoping for a calm ocean so I dont have to use more than 1 to two onces of weight.

Here is a site that I often check to get a general idea of whats out there for weather. Just click on the area where you intend to go. Ten High, oh no man it's Connemara that's best for rollin' the bones;)!

Marine Weather : Weather Underground

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
hey o.m, on a very serious side note;
weathermen and meteorologist are just guys who really wanted to be astronauts.... they throw a dart at a dartboard of weather scenarios and submit it to their equalably self loathesome bosses... marine weather is no gaurantee... and VERY often wrong.. so if you see something that goes against the report.. pay attention to it, and follow your gut.. The ocean is a great place... but it is also the graveyard of many of my friends.

O
Outdoor_Myers
halibuthitman said:
hey o.m, on a very serious side note;
weathermen and meteorologist are just guys who really wanted to be astronauts.... they throw a dart at a dartboard of weather scenarios and submit it to their equalably self loathesome bosses... marine weather is no gaurantee... and VERY often wrong.. so if you see something that goes against the report.. pay attention to it, and follow your gut.. The ocean is a great place... but it is also the graveyard of many of my friends.

Thanks buddy, I will be using my steelhead spinning combo for surf fishing or try to at least. Going to try and find some sand shrimp the next couple days but bimart only had cured ones. and pyramid sinkers are way too expensive so it will be a toss and pray scenario. The biologist in newport told me I should be fine with that gear the breakers shouldnt be too big and I wouldn't have to go that far out to catch some fish in that area. he said toss my line to the north and let the waves push it into the hole right there. He had me go to google map and the satellite image shows the hole between the breakers due to the structure there at fogarty creek state park on the north side of the creek.

B
BlackBass
Ocean is forcasted to be over ten. So that means a 7ft swell with a 3 foot wind wave. The ocean has been ugly for the last week. Big surf equals horrible visability with all the sand being blown around. The ocean looks like a tan color right now. I wouldnt recommend fishing fogarty for perch or greenling with more then a 6 foot swell and wind wave . I fish boiler bay often and i know what im talking about. If you do go look for lead in the 4-6 oz range and a heavier rod will work better for you say maybe a 15-30 . kinda makes the 1 lb perch seem small though :(

D
dude young
Irishrover said:
Ten High, oh no man it Connemara that best for rollin' the bones;)

Oh man. If you are talkin' bout what I'm thinkin' bout... ...I discovered this stuff in An Daingean a couple years ago and have been in love with it since. A glass of this and a good cigar. Second only to a glass of the Hirsch 16 year (which I discovered a mere 5 days earlier in , of all places, London) and some good friends.

J
JesseG
Not sure if you are coming from the north or south, but if you are going through lincoln city you can hit up the siletz for sand shrimp. You can pump a couple dozen in no time.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Dude I'll have to look for a bottle of that Hirsch next trip into the whiskey den!

H-man you are dead right with regard to the weather forcast. It is only a guess. You have to keep a "weather eye" out when you are out there, and watch the baromator. This topic could be a whole other thread..weather safety on the ocean...

Outdoor_Myers Ocean weather is something you didn't have to worry about back in Iowa. But I can sure remember some wild storms back there on summer visits as a kid! Big black clouds and lots of thunder.

O
Outdoor_Myers
I miss Iowa thunderstorms thats about it lol. The loud thunder would raddle the windows and lightning would strike close and knock out the power and one would sit in the dark watching out the window as the storm would push by.

R
rippin fish lips
This wind on the coast needs to die down so i can get my guided ocean salmon fishing trip in!!