Saturday( 3/2/13) floating the Alsea...

F
fuson22
I had really high hopes for yesterday (Saturday's) float. I've been fishing the Alsea since early Jan and don't think I've had a "skunked" day so far. I sure have lost more than I've netted, but always at least hitting fish no matter what or where. The Alsea is by far MY personal favorite coastal river for winter's hands down. So after talking to a couple guy's on the forum and some friend's, along with my record out there so far this year. I took my 2 little bro's and we floated from Mill creek-Salmon berry. I thought it was gonna easily be a tagged out day all the way around... I was wrong. We put in at 1st light, and took out at 5 something with not even 1 fish on board... we had a great time just hangin out with each other and fishing. But I'm always telling them about how good it usually is and showing off all my pic's. Then I get them out there and poof! All the fish disappeared or heard I was coming, lol. We threw everything from my proven cured roe, the always deadly KND Custom's Sprocket Spinner's (#5 Blue, #4 Pink), pulled plug's a lot! And my usual way of filling the freezer (4ft leader with a black corkey with a tiny bit of red yarn pulled through the corkey on a #4 hook. Pretty much everything AND the kitchen sink. Talked to probably 7 other boats all at 0 as well... Then the last boat actually the guy's that gave me a ride back up to get my truck an trailer said "it was slow, we only got 5...) What? I never seen the fish but they didn't seem to be the type to be that immature. Just goes to show ya, you think you got it down. And ol' mother nature reminds you who's in charge. But you will still catch me next Saturday on the same river. I had a BLAST with my bro's even with the 0 fish. Sometimes it's the time, not the tag. Good fishin-

O
OnTheDrop
Ahh bummer man,

Friday didn't quite as expected either. We hooked up with 2 and bonked 1. Also had like 7 plug takedowns from some nice Sea Runs that were taking the pole down somewhat hard. Everytime I pulled the pole out of the holder I was disappointed, until mid afternoon the rod goes down and continues to bury....Steel on. The three boats we talked to had a fish or two a piece as well with only one confirmed keeper....Uh oh, Alsea may very well be nearing its end right now...

On a side note, I doubt they will get as bad of a run next year as this years. Can't wait to fish this system in the coming years...

Cheers

Last edited:
W
waco
Good report man even with that no fish to show, it just a reminder of that just getting out and have a good time is the main reason we do this, the fish is just a bonus!
Anyways I have an all the time favorite stream that I always find fish but whenever I take someone there! I can't find them, kinda weird!

B
brewer
That's too bad the fishing wasn't hot for you. Still great to get out with your brothers. I want to give it at least one more shot this year and truthfully I'll probably do more than that. Thanks for the always informative posts.

D
DYJ
Bummer on the skunk, but you should be happy you've had such a successful winter over there.