SAT. March 14th

K
Kodiak
Hard saying not knowing!

Hard saying not knowing!

ninja2010 said:
is 10am a good time to meet at the arco? not sure how everyone feels about that - kodiak, is that too late? i'll prolly need to hitch a ride with you coz my van is not too good for hilly drives.

this is getting toooooo exciting...

I personally would like to be at the Arco about 7:00ish, however it's not about just me. As far as I can tell the weather will be the key to this trip. The day time high will be around 51 friday, friday night the clouds roll in keeping the heat in and allowing a low of 41, almost ten degrees warmer than the previous 2 days that will have slowed the fish down. By 10:00 the water should be around 42-43. The fish will be on the move with the threatening rain and falling barometer.

F
Fishydog
OK I am there, I was supposed to swing a chainsaw all day Saturday but I'd rather swing a rod. Ninja we can car pool, anyone else from Portland? Plenty of room. I will need directions or a location I can find on google maps. I'll bring beer! but you'll have to drink it to make room in the cooler for the fish :dance:

F
Fishydog
Kodiak said:
I personally would like to be at the Arco about 7:00ish, however it's not about just me. As far as I can tell the weather will be the key to this trip. The day time high will be around 51 friday, friday night the clouds roll in keeping the heat in and allowing a low of 41, almost ten degrees warmer than the previous 2 days that will have slowed the fish down. By 10:00 the water should be around 42-43. The fish will be on the move with the threatening rain and falling barometer.

Let see that means leaving here at like 4:30 am :shock: I don't know if I can pull that one off. Ninja how 'bout you? If I double up on coffee I could probably take off at like 5:30, which would get us down there at like 8ish.

N
ninja2010
i'm down. let's do this.

fishy-d do you know where the trap is? or do we need to meet up with kodiak at the arco?

F
Fishydog
OK where is this Arco that you speak of. :think:

N
ninja2010
here's where kodiak suggested we meet up...

Kodiak said:
As you get OFF I-5 going to corvallis there is a park-ride and a bunch of gas stations right there. If we can all figure a time to meet there, I'm thinkin The Arco we can all caravan up there for those who don't know how to get there. I will let all of you decide what time you want to cruise up the canyon..pretty drive and from the looks of it water conditions should be stellar.

i think it's just a bit over an hour from pdx... so we could start at 5:30 and be there by 7-ish.

F
Fishydog
So were talkin hwy 20 @ I-5, oh I can make that in less than an hour on Saturday :D

K
Kodiak
Funny...

Funny...

In theory I live geographicaly closer, but will take me just as long to get there as you guys!! Lol... I think it's exit 228..it's corvallis exit, take a right immeadiate left, can't miss it.

N
ninja2010
Fishydog said:
So were talkin hwy 20 @ I-5, oh I can make that in less than an hour on Saturday :D

so we can be there b4 7...

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Hey Kodiak I forgot to ask you, was that other route faster. I would like to know it it was. :)

L
lechner
Hmm, 7:00 AM is definitely early for me but by no means impossible. I just have to get my gear packed up the night before and double up on the coffee.

Kodiak: Do you know if there is cell reception from the canyon? If we set an early time, then it's probably safe to assume there will be stragglers. It would be nice if we could direct such folks to the action (supposing the fish haven't moved on and taken the action with them :)).

BTW, what does it mean for our odds if the water warms up and the fish begin moving? Are they moving upstream because they sense upcoming rain and more rain means easier access to the spawning grounds? I'm sure it is hard to quantify, but what would a 10 degree increase in water temperature and a falling barometer do to the probability of hooking up with a steelhead for someone who arrives 12:00 PM? -25%? -50%?

F
Fishydog
Kodiak said:
In theory I live geographicaly closer, but will take me just as long to get there as you guys!! Lol... I think it's exit 228..it's corvallis exit, take a right immeadiate left, can't miss it.

Oh ok so hwy 34, gotch, no problem, Ninja and I will be rollin in at 7ish ready to pound some steel.

K
Kodiak
Time & temp

Time & temp

lechner said:
Hmm, 7:00 AM is definitely early for me but by no means impossible. I just have to get my gear packed up the night before and double up on the coffee.

Kodiak: Do you know if there is cell reception from the canyon? If we set an early time, then it's probably safe to assume there will be stragglers. It would be nice if we could direct such folks to the action (supposing the fish haven't moved on and taken the action with them :)).

BTW, what does it mean for our odds if the water warms up and the fish begin moving? Are they moving upstream because they sense upcoming rain and more rain means easier access to the spawning grounds? I'm sure it is hard to quantify, but what would a 10 degree increase in water temperature and a falling barometer do to the probability of hooking up with a steelhead for someone who arrives 12:00 PM? -25%? -50%?

Steelies are moving early and late with the lower water. When water temps are below 40 they become a little more dormant. Once it breaks 40 they start to wake up a bit, at 42-43 degrees they will crank up the motor before they start to slow around the noon hour then pick back up around two.
Statisticaly fish move more on a falling barometer in anticipation of the coming rains. When these fish startmoving they become more aggressive.
Once the front of the low passes ( the barometer bottoms out) activity will slack a bit then return to normal until the water begins to rise.

Reactions: Fishydog
P
PacRat
Killin' Me!

Killin' Me!

I've had an enjoyable time just reading your plans, guys! Sounds like a great trip. My boys are off for spring break so we will be sticking to the Clack and Willie. My hook found a nate yesterday, but it's been slow for me.

I'm all pumped to just wet a line. Take some pics of your prey and Fishydog, save me a beer!

Safe a fruitful trip to you all!

Tony
PacRat

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Not so sure about the beer since I now realize this will be going down at like 7 in the morning. I mean it works for me, but I don't want to display behavior unbecoming of an OFFer... *cough* :lol::lol:

F
fourgotten
lechner said:

The old lady and myself won't be able to make it even up to the Arco until 10ish... she has a meeting in the morning... so if there's someone who knows where the destination is, or someone can post some GPS coordinates, we could maybe set up a "second wave" leaving the Arco around 10/10:30?

F
Fishydog
PacRat said:
I've had an enjoyable time just reading your plans, guys! Sounds like a great trip. My boys are off for spring break so we will be sticking to the Clack and Willie. My hook found a nate yesterday, but it's been slow for me.

I'm all pumped to just wet a line. Take some pics of your prey and Fishydog, save me a beer!

Safe a fruitful trip to you all!

Tony
PacRat

I would be up for a Sunday run at the Clack, or even a troll on the Willy. I do owe you a beer after all, and I got a new fish finder.

F
Fishydog
GraphiteZen said:
Not so sure about the beer since I now realize this will be going down at like 7 in the morning. I mean it works for me, but I don't want to display behavior unbecoming of an OFFer... *cough* :lol::lol:

Well I was thinking of celebatory beers after we limit out at 10:30 :cool:
I don't think we're going to tarnish anyone's image. :rolleyes:

L
lechner
I will definitely be a little crunchy around the edges, but that's nothing a breakfast beer couldn't fix :)

I will see you guys at the Arco station at 7. My cell carrier (ATT) receives notoriously poor coverage once I'm in the great outdoors, but I will PM my # to Kodiak, fourgotten, and Fishydog anyway just in case the plan changes on Saturday morning or we need to coordinate details once we're in the business. Btw, I drive a new model black subaru forester.

M
metalmania
I tell ya even though i'm not headin down there i'm still super excited to hear what happens. I wish you all the best of luck and i'm sure you'll will get to bonk a few nice fish. Don't forget your cameras guys.