SAT. March 14th

L
lechner
fishnquest said:
:lol::lol::lol:sea roombas. touche':lol:
Are you pole fishing from the bank for those? I hit ft bragg (ca) two weekends ago and it was really slow that day, I thought maybe they are starting to move back out.

Sorry for hijacking this thread a little, Kodiak :)

Yes, I've been fairly successful with snare-style traps right off the south jetty. Word has it that crabs have pretty much left the bay so the jetty is about as close as you can get into the ocean without having a boat.

K
Kodiak
I'm obviously upset

I'm obviously upset

lechner said:
Sorry for hijacking this thread a little, Kodiak :)

Yes, I've been fairly successful with snare-style traps right off the south jetty. Word has it that crabs have pretty much left the bay so the jetty is about as close as you can get into the ocean without having a boat.

I was actually thinking about joining you after we all limit. I'm thinkin' its gonna be a quick slaughter I'm sure of it. I heard some of the greenling moved in too. We'll see what happens!

F
FreshMoneyFisher
Dang, this thread is getting me all antsy to fish! Seriously contemplating this trip.

I know it's a trek, but anyone know how far the drive is from Tigard?

I've mapped quested it, looks like around 3 hrs?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Roughly. Once you hit the 5, it goes quick. Lots of highway miles, so the drive is really easy. I have been running around all over the Valley lately, and From my place to the bottem end of the Siletz, near the so named town. Took about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Hauling a 16 foot trailer loaded down, and not having a fith gear, or overdrive in any of 'em! Haha, but try to make it the trip, it should be fun.

N
ninja2010
so, who all is going? (is that proper english?)

i'm in...

J
JeannaJigs
ninja2010 said:

i'm in...

It's the internets. No one uses proper english anymore. (I think you did though)

L
lechner
ninja2010 said:

i'm in...

Same here!

N
ninja2010
okay, i'm driving down from portland. anyone want to carpool down? it'd be great to hear some fish tales on the drive instead of the radio...

C
Chedster
I'm out, finals all next week. Planning on fishing all of spring break though.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I'm in. One more person and somebody will need to bring some beer!

K
Kodiak
Head Count

Head Count

So far I count 7, plus my bro hook will be commin'....maybe. Looks like we done blew past a six pack Zen!!! I think I'll wear my waders this time and I found my glasses!!! We might want to figure out what time and where we all want to meet up, needs directions, or wants to follow somebody or car pool. My car has a pretty big trunk and I can take two or three with me, if necissary.

F
fourgotten
lechner said:
My plan is to wind up in Newport for some jetty fishing and crabbing Saturday afternoon and evening. Y'all are welcome to join my girlfriend and I to slay some saltwater fishes and sea roombas.

W00t! I might just be in for that... that might be JUST the incentive that the girlfiend will need to get out and get ahold of some big fish...

Some fishing/crabbing in Newport would do her good, too... we just did a charter last weekend out of there.... limited out on black rockfish in less than 2 hours and also brought in a smallish (but legal) lingcod... but we missed out clamming so... who knows... I'll bring up the idea to her tonight...

M
MontanaMoose
3.14.'09

3.14.'09

Hello Kodiak, I may be in Albany Friday and I'm wondering where to go in case I stay over...do I go to the town named for the river, which from Albany shows about 65 or 70 miles depending on where I'll be ? Still the new guy so I don't know my way around there since I can't seem to tear myself away from the N. Umpqua most weekends.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Kodiak said:
So far I count 7, plus my bro hook will be commin'....maybe. Looks like we done blew past a six pack Zen!!! I think I'll wear my waders this time and I found my glasses!!! We might want to figure out what time and where we all want to meet up, needs directions, or wants to follow somebody or car pool. My car has a pretty big trunk and I can take two or three with me, if necissary.

L
lechner
ninja2010 said:
okay, i'm driving down from portland. anyone want to carpool down? it'd be great to hear some fish tales on the drive instead of the radio...

I'm in Portland too, but carpooling probably won't work out since I plan to spend the rest of the weekend in Newport. Maybe next time!

K
Kodiak
where to meet?

where to meet?

As you get OFF I-5 going to corvallis there is a park-ride and a bunch of gas stations right there. If we can all figure a time to meet there, I'm thinkin The Arco we can all caravan up there for those who don't know how to get there. I will let all of you decide what time you want to cruise up the canyon..pretty drive and from the looks of it water conditions should be stellar.

L
lechner
fourgotten said:
W00t! I might just be in for that... that might be JUST the incentive that the girlfiend will need to get out and get ahold of some big fish...

Some fishing/crabbing in Newport would do her good, too... we just did a charter last weekend out of there.... limited out on black rockfish in less than 2 hours and also brought in a smallish (but legal) lingcod... but we missed out clamming so... who knows... I'll bring up the idea to her tonight...

Rad! My girlfriend loves jetty fishing too, which I find peculiar considering how dangerous and unpleasant it can be out there. NOAA is predicting some pretty snotty conditions for the ocean this weekend:

SAT
W WIND 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS TO 30 KT. WIND WAVES 6 FT.
W SWELL 13 FT.

SUN
SW WIND 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS TO 35 KT. COMBINED SEAS
16 FT.

With that said, the Yaquina jetties tend to be more protected than Barview so the fishing should be fine as long as one doesn't wander out too far. Clamming should be possible on Sunday morning around 10:00 AM when there will be a 0.3 tide. Razors are probably out of the question due to the extreme tidal surging (16ft combined seas!) but I know of a few spots for cockles, gapers, and softshells in the bay.

L
lechner
Kodiak said:
As you get OFF I-5 going to corvallis there is a park-ride and a bunch of gas stations right there. If we can all figure a time to meet there, I'm thinkin The Arco we can all caravan up there for those who don't know how to get there. I will let all of you decide what time you want to cruise up the canyon..pretty drive and from the looks of it water conditions should be stellar.

Nice. That location seems pretty central to everyone who has signed up. With regard to timing, how does 10:00 to 10:30 AM sound? If anyone arrives to the staging area after 10:30, they can call one of us to get more specific directions.

BTW, how far into the canyon are we going?

F
Fishydog
I might be up for this, I can bring good beer and my van holds 7 plus gear. :dance: Is there still room for one more? :pray: Where on the river are the traps? :think: What time are you meeting up. :shock:
Thanks, Doug

K
Kodiak
How far to the traps?

How far to the traps?

They are about 18-20 miles from the town of siletz..or about 8 miles up from Moonshine park. It is a bit of a hike down to the river, but nothing terrible.

From the Arco it's a about another 1 1/2 hrs to the traps. I might be off on the time Zen might know a little better.

Fishydog...there is always room for jello!!! It's a five mile stretch with lots o room.

P.S> I chated with a few guys I know that hit it today and said there are a BUNCH of fish in the canyon below the traps....Loggers with keys is cheating!

N
ninja2010
is 10am a good time to meet at the arco? not sure how everyone feels about that - kodiak, is that too late? i'll prolly need to hitch a ride with you coz my van is not too good for hilly drives.

this is getting toooooo exciting...