Сasting for surf perch from shore, need a complete gear setup

H
horstuff
The guy everybody recommends on YouTube, "Oregon Life" has some pretty outdated info and I can't find the products he suggests. I want to buy a rod, reel, line, weights, and bait for casting from shore in the Seaside / Cannon Beach area.

Anybody got suggestions / links? Thanks very much.

Bobby

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
8 foot ugly stick I use a Penn Gold 4400s 30lb Braide 3 or 4 ounces of lead size 2 hooks and bait!

B
BrandonBeach
I use a Diawa sealine surf rod, I like a 10 ft rod..
https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/product/daiwa-sealine-surf-rods/122952Runcl spin reel
https://www.amazon.com/RUNCL-Spinni...1fe57a&pd_rd_wg=Myg2X&pd_rd_i=B07BXNSDXM&th=1
OR, go to BI-mart or Big 5 and pick out a 9-10 foot spin combo rated to cast up to 3-4 ounce weight. Any of them should be fine. I like a sensitive tip.

For lighter weight in calm serf I have a Sheakspere
rod and reel

I buy low end spin gear for surf perch gear. Salt and sand are hard on gear, cheaper to replace.
Really like 30 lb test woven line..

Be careful with woven line, it likes to wrap (loop) around the tip, cast or heavy hook set with a loop around the tip will break the tip off.

Good luck

BB

V
venetafisher
9+ foot rod capable of casting three ounces, 3000 or 4000 size spinning reel rated for the salt (rinse the dickens out of it after every use anyway), 20-30 lb. braid. 2-3 foot 15 lb. mono leader; #2 or #4 baitholder hooks rigged hi-lo on dropper loops, baited with sand shrimp, mole crabs, or my favorite, 2"-3" Gulp camo sand worms.
If you're on Facebook, there's an Oregon surf perch group with hundreds of very active members: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1437095149923439/about
There's tons and tons of good info in that group.

Reactions: troutdude
H
horstuff
Thank you all, the input was very helpful. I ended up going to Big 5 and getting a rod /reel combo for 50 bucks, cheapie but it's 9 foot, can handle up to 4 ounces weight, and the reel came loaded with 20 pound mono. If it gets trashed, at least Ill know a hell of a lot more than I do now and I'm only out $50. I got a couple swivels and leaders with hooks, so Ill make a hi lo rig and put a 3 ounce weight at the end. I know I don't need the swivels and leaders, I just need to learn how to tie a hi lo without swivels and premade leaders. Now all I need is to go up the street and get some Gulp camo worms and a fishing license and some waders, and I guess Ill be all set! Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
DOKF
DOKF
Always good to learn on inexpensive tools, then upgrade to pro when you have enough experience.

I also find that one person's favourites may not be universally accepted.

Sounds like you have the equipment and knowledge to be dangerous; have fun, and catch some scaly creatures!

D
DG1959
11.5 foot rod and Penn Fierce 5000. I really like this set up. It’s easy to keep your line above that first wave with a longer rod.

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Okuma Rockaway Surf Rods-great for price. I have a M 12' Spinning, and ML 11' Spinning. M 12' I use when weather is gross and heavier weight is needed, ML 11' for the better weather. I used to pair them w/ 5000 Penn Battle II's and 20lb Powerpro (maxcuatro). I recently upgraded one of the reels for the ocean for Lings and Rocks, and now use Daiwa Saltists. Probably the most durable reels ever made, but they come at a cost $$$.

Use the search tool to check out other threads on surf fishing, lots of info out there

Reactions: DG1959
S
sixteenvolt
horstuff said:
Now all I need is to go up the street and get some Gulp camo worms and a fishing license and some waders, and I guess Ill be all set! Thanks again everyone.

Friendly heads up to either get waders that you know you can quickly get out of, or just go without. Scary stuff to take a tumble in the waves and have tight waders fill up with water.

H
horstuff
Thanks all for the input. Waders... I got a set of Hodgman neoprene bootfoot, and I plan to wear the belt when out there. They aren't totally loose, but they seem to fit just right. Are you saying I should have a lot of play in them? Any looser than I have and it seems like it would hinder casting and just generally be too loose.

S
sixteenvolt
I'm thinking you'd be fine, and it's a matter of my comfort with safety. Still building up confidence in the waves myself.

H
horstuff
Thanks, it's good advice.

D
DG1959
Sometimes you are wading out too far, those perch are not far out. I don’t use chest waders since hip boots are good enough.

DOKF
DOKF
Hip boots scare me. Too easy to get swamped. Use waders, but stay closer to shore.