Santiam & the Deschutes

F
FishFinger
I'm heading over the pass to visit my folks and I can't resist the opportunity to take a crack at some trout on both the Santiam along hwy 20 & the Deschutes rear Redmond.

I will carry my fly rod but, I'm going to try spinners first, I twisted a few with the same body theme by varied the blades. The forecast calls for overcast w/ sun breaks. Just want to be semi prepared.

One snag up and it ends the experiment for that spinner..lol

DCP_3197.jpg

I did some #3 rattle bells too. Black & pink bodies, again with varied blades.

DCP_3198.jpg

And I've started building my stash of Slayers for the next assault on the Sandy beginning next week. They are alll #4 rattle bells w/ heavy Owner hooks

DCP_3202.jpg

X

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Under blade...

Under blade...

Dan or should I say "Mr.Twister"; Have you ever tried painting or taping the back of the blade...? I started using this method a few years ago with some very remarkable results :clap:, give it a try and let me know what you think...the fish really seem to pick up on it from behind :think:

Chuck

F
FishFinger
I haven't tried anything on the backs of the blades yet, but I am willing to learn. Any hints or tips you'd be willing to offer up would be greatly appreciated.

Being so new to this spinner gig I am still trying to wrap my brain around which blades work the best in which conditions.

So far the paint combo have produced amazing results for salmon.

Once I get Steealhead spinners dialed in, trout should (in theory) hit smaller versions of the same patterns .

Troutski
Troutski
Paint -vs- tape...

Paint -vs- tape...

FishFinger said:
I haven't tried anything on the backs of the blades yet, but I am willing to learn. Any hints or tips you'd be willing to offer up would be greatly appreciated.

Being so new to this spinner gig I am still trying to wrap my brain around which blades work the best in which conditions.

So far the paint combo have produced amazing results for salmon.

Once I get Steealhead spinners dialed in, trout should (in theory) hit smaller versions of the same patterns .

I have tried florescent paint and tape and the tape is much easier, cheaper and it works. I use punches found at craft stores, dots, stars,squiggles (s shapes)...I even cut my own shapes. Clean the blade with wd 40 and then dry it and even a light touch of .0004 steel wool and this tape last longer than the lures. I bought the tape from Cabelas very high quality tape. I would say it increased my catch rate by 40 % conservatively speaking. It seems like the fish is attracted by the flash of the blade and once they get behind the lure they see the flash of the tape...dynamite.. I love twisting my own lures and making my own spoons...now this is another craft in itself :think:.

Chuck

A
ArcticAmoeba
Gravey Dan! The trout, if they are in the mood, should hit at least a few of those spinners...I would assume anyways... I built some bullett body trout killers, very similar to yours, and they really do put a nasty hurt on big trout populations. Drift fish the Santiam too...With worms, holy carp, it is unfair when decently seasoned Salmon anglers go drift fish for trout! With worms the trout can't resist. Try swinging spinners from riffles, or fast moving water, into a bit of slack. I found in Idanha at some private property that the fat-lards would want to head up riffles, and immediately rest...In the slack hydro pressure. You should have some good luck if the bite is on! Good luck and hope it goes well man. In Redmond with your pops I mean, have a good one Dan...

F
FishFinger
I hit the Santiam around noon. I saw a huge rock from the road and knew it had fish around it. After a casting a few black bullets with no results I switched to a nickel / bead bod & nickel blade.... Murdered them.... 4 nice rainbows in 4 casts. I turned them all back and decided I'd found the magic colour for the day, so I packed up and headed for Redmond.

Thus far on the Deschutes I am 0 for 3... So far I haven't been able to stir up any action.

There is always tomorrow.

A
ArcticAmoeba
It was a cloudy day, so the nickle being the hot shotter for the day isn't surprising, but 4 fish in 4 casts, that is surprising. Sweet. Maybe the 'Chutes will spit some up for ya in the next day or so. You try the Bells yet in the #3?

F
FishFinger
I couldn't get any action on the Deschutes Sunday. It rained in Redmond and the baro was at 29.57. That's what I an attributing my lack of success on.

The Santiam however... definatlly going to get more attention from now on.

Chuck, as per your suggestion I picked up some reflective tape and will be giving it a try shortly.

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Wow you spinners are so much more fine-tuned than mine, mostly the eye... cause for some reason I can't get good, balanced eyes. I've only made one good eye. Do you buy the wires that already have one end twisted?
You must really love that red dot in the middle... :lol:
Mind leaving some for me on the banks at dodge park? :lol:

F
FishFinger
FishSchooler said:
Wow you spinners are so much more fine-tuned than mine, mostly the eye... cause for some reason I can't get good, balanced eyes. I've only made one good eye. Do you buy the wires that already have one end twisted?
You must really love that red dot in the middle... :lol:
Mind leaving some for me on the banks at dodge park? :lol:

I bought a twisting jig @ Sportsmans. I tend to go through a lot, so I have to mass produce them. I added size 4 Owner hooks. They are sticky sharp and modestly heavier then average hooks. I run them low and slow; just sneaking over the rocks... I snag em up a lot.

The dot is a killing component. I can't say exactlly why but Salmon tend to smash then. I don't know about trout or steelhead, to early in the twisting game for me yet.

I'm going to add dots to the backs of the blades on the next batch I am twisting up. I'll get picts of them before they R.I.P. on the bottom of the Sandy river.

The first nickle spinner in that first picture.... Left it on the Santiam after it crushed the bows.

F
FishSchooler
Whats a twistin jig? an automatic eye twister?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yes, it forms the eyes on the wire quickly and easily. I prefer the pliers, you can get them at any tackle place for about 15 bucks. They are a split ring plier, and an eye former. It is imperitive that your eyes be as symmetrical as you can get them. The eye/split ring pliers will make your spinners much better if you are using standard needlenose, with the larger jaws.

F
FishSchooler
Making a round eye is pretty easy, but like, if you just bend it over and twist, it will be like a bf. Do you have to bend it back a little?
Does anyone twist the hook eye(bottom) the way that bfs have it? Just double up the last bit, maybe half and inch-an inch, then slide the body on when you have the wire kinda crimped, then the tension will hold everything together. Much easier and much more balanced(for me) and looks cooler.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Doing it that way is fine for trout and small bass, but any Salmon, or Steelhead, will surely bust it open and you will bring back a spinner, minus a hook, and minus a fish. It is much safer to wrap both ends, and it is very easy it you have the proper tools to do so. To get the proper eye placement, you do bend the wire back towords you to get the proper offset to begin a symmetrical eye.

F
FishSchooler
Oh well, we'll find out... :D

F
FishFinger
For the first time a DAndy slayer didn't entice a bite. I mean I knew it would happen someday but just not the Friday before a big fishing weekend on the Sandy.

I foul hooked 3 fish and not a single mouth hit. I even tried a Bill "Glow berry" special and got a body slap and a pec fin hook up.

My god it's utterly insane how strong these fish can be when you don't have control of their heads.

It would be easier on both of us if it would simply swim to the bank and let me unhook it.

I am on the horns of a dilemma... has my tried and true spinner run out of favor, are spinners in general loosing there attraction, or... it there another pattern waiting in the wings for this last gasp of the '08 Sandy Coho season?

I best get busy and create the ultimate franken-spinner to save the day.

* I sat in my truck @ the CC hatchery twisting up the last of my half painted #4's. Lost all three, one on a fish and 2 to some 25 lb test at the tail out of "my best" drift.

The Honey hole has been invaded... I had 7 uninvited guests on my piece of public property, the nerve eh?

Not much action except my foul hook & release show.

F
FishSchooler
Ouch thats gotta hurt...

B
Big Hairy Dawg
Hey, I saw your mepps looking black bladed spinner on a black body. Try a green body works well for steelies and coho!

Top Bottom