santiam steelies?

F
fishhunter
Are you guys catching any summers? trying to plan a trip.:D aslo as long as I am asking is there any salmonoids being caught?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Calling all Guru's

Calling all Guru's

The gauge I use is when Kodiak,otherwise known as the "Santiam Guru", starts posting about his victories. Although,we do have dozens of excellent advisers who should be willing to help out. I'm in the same boat as you since I have very little experience with actually catching. Mostly I do a lot of practicing! :think: :pray: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be safe.
Barb

S
STIKTIME
hey my dad lives on the south Santiam and he has a friend that hooked into a keeper just above Sweethome on Thursday. Also, his neighbor caught a nice springer below Waterloo. People are starting to show up quiet a bit down there so i hope thats a good sign. Not to sure about the rest of the river but im gonna give it a shot on Tuesday. good luck

K
Kodiak
Just 1 springer

Just 1 springer

Haven't fished the south fork seriously yet this year, but know of several steelies ( read more than 30 in 2 weeks), Springers at Pleasant Valley...So yes it's time. I have made a couple of quick trips for nook's on the north fork, produced 1 naitive springer in the high 20's possibly pushing the big three OHHHHH! mark...big, thick, and really MAD as yearly santiam springers are known to be. I've heard of steelies being caught at packsaddle. Translation...fish all through the system water levels and temps will currently be your biggest enemies. The early fish in this system like to play and fight hard...Go Get 'Em

M
Mike123
Wow the S. Santiam was DEAD today...
I fished the dead line from 2 to about 7:30pm and did not see one fish hooked and didn't see one fish roll. For this time of year that is pathetic.
Caught 7 trout/smolt on a micro jig tipped with shrimp. They would only bite with the shrimp on there.(Was not targeting them.)

I think with the old trap being closed it's making them hold in different areas and a lot closer to the dam.

S
STIKTIME
Hey y'all,
I was down at the south santiam today as well. I myself didn't get anything except some huge stick fish. But i did stop by waterloo for a little while and i saw 2 boats anchored up just above the bridge there, right under the falls. One boat had 3 on and went home with 1 springer and 1 steelie, 2 guys. The other boat had 2 guys in it as well and they hooked 5 springers and took home 3. The first boat was using sand shrimp and the second was using home made roe. I saw a lot of others fishing but no one else was catching. I went up and down from sweethome to the Lebanon dam and didn't get a single hit. Oh wait, i did get one and i brought a steelhead eyeball back on my #5 Blue Fox. Thought that was kinda weird, that's never happened. Ive snagged scales before but not eyeballs. So if anyone catches a nice trophy steelie with one eye, i deserve half. Any who, good luck to all and let us know if anyone tracks em down.

O
OBP Turtle 33
What is the best way to go after the summers from the bank? Also where is some good bank access? I have been to the Waterloo bridge seems like a good spot just has some heavy current. I was just thinking bobber and jigs but am not sure I have yet to catch a steelhead or salmon "I am mostly a bass guy"

M
Mike123
OBP Turtle 33 said:
What is the best way to go after the summers from the bank? Also where is some good bank access? I have been to the Waterloo bridge seems like a good spot just has some heavy current. I was just thinking bobber and jigs but am not sure I have yet to catch a steelhead or salmon "I am mostly a bass guy"

Jigs, SPINNERS, drifting bait or YARN BALLS, spoons, plugs etc...
Just drive from Foster down and you'll see where the popular spots are.

S
STIKTIME
OBP Turtle 33,
if you go just above the falls at waterloo. try going up and down that stretch in the park. there's some good holes in there. u can also try going up to sweethome. there's some good water up there by the hatchery. u should try drifting for them..its a good way to get ur gear right in there face. roe has been doin real good for springers and sand shrimp is always a good idea under a bobber

O
OBP Turtle 33
Ok should I put the shrimp on a jig head to get it down or just weight the hook with split shot just above the bait? and how are they fishing the row just the normal weight and leader with the eggs on the end? Thanks a ton for the advice I am not so good on the andromous fish :p

K
Kodiak
North fork

North fork

Turtle there is far better bank access on the North santiam, and more "classic" type water that is easier to read. Also northfork fish get less pressure and are "dumber" and the chinook are 2-3#'s heavier on average. The north fork from mehama up to the deadline at packsaddle is loading nicely with summers and springers, kinda your choice at this point.

O
OBP Turtle 33
ok I may check it out, my problem now is choosing between filling my last Turkey Tag at my parents house or using that gas to look for some fish getting 14 mpg in my truck doesn't leave much room for adventure lol Thanks for the info

K
Kodiak
OBP Turtle 33 said:
ok I may check it out, my problem now is choosing between filling my last Turkey Tag at my parents house or using that gas to look for some fish getting 14 mpg in my truck doesn't leave much room for adventure lol Thanks for the info

North fork steelies will be here all summer..shoot the turkey. I'll split it with you 50/50...You can have the guts and feathers, I'll keep the rest!!!

O
OBP Turtle 33
Oh man BBQ Wild Turkey some of the best game on the planet

K
Kodiak
North Fork Santiam

North Fork Santiam

The water temp has started to drop a bit and warm. The steelhead and springers on the move, it seems there are fish in just about every hole now:dance::clap::dance::dance::dance:!! In about a week and a half this river will be fishing at Epic levels....I will be there to crush them!

C
Chedster
Hit up a spot yesterday close to Lebanon and the springers are defiantly in there. I saw 5 fish hooked and all lost because idiots prefer to snag the fish then really try to catch them. I tried bobber and eggs and shrimp with no luck. I had a hard time gauging the depth of the pool I was fishing so who knows. Saw dozens of fish jump around my bobber, just to fuel my fire. Next time I think I'll target summer steel. Anyone have any tips on summer steel bait that works good on the Santiam?

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Chedster said:
Hit up a spot yesterday close to Lebanon and the springers are defiantly in there. I saw 5 fish hooked and all lost because idiots prefer to snag the fish then really try to catch them. I tried bobber and eggs and shrimp with no luck. I had a hard time gauging the depth of the pool I was fishing so who knows. Saw dozens of fish jump around my bobber, just to fuel my fire. Next time I think I'll target summer steel. Anyone have any tips on summer steel bait that works good on the Santiam?

Yea those flossers down there with their G-Loomis rods.. give me a break.
Those guys drive me crazy.

Sandshrimp, prawns, cooked shrimp, eggs all work well for steelhead.
I'm just lucky enough my buddy brings me about 50-100 or so fresh sandshrimp every time he comes over! WOOT!

C
Chedster
I froze some sandshrimp that we pumped a month ago and they don't hold together worth a darn. You can still use the tails for drifting but that's about it. Gonna have to make a trip for some fresh shrimp.

K
Kodiak
Mike123 said:
Yea those flossers down there with their G-Loomis rods.. give me a break.
Those guys drive me crazy.

Sandshrimp, prawns, cooked shrimp, eggs all work well for steelhead.
I'm just lucky enough my buddy brings me about 50-100 or so fresh sandshrimp every time he comes over! WOOT!

Not all guys who use a loomis with 4 ft leaders drifting for nooks are flossing:mad:. Now thats out of the way...wasn't me.:lol: I throw metallic blue corkies, metallic red, and pink,pink, and pink.

C
Chedster
Well I got the OSP number and next time I will be calling. I realize that sometimes the bite may be off and snagging a fish is a more likely option to bank one but it's illegal and pretty low in my book. I respect you guys for keeping it real and that's why I enjoy this site. Now if finals could just be over... I want to fish!!!