Santiam river at the I-5 rest stop, any good?

A
Anyfishisfine
I have a son down at U of O, so I make that trip every week or 2, and today stopped off at the rest stop just south of Salem to see what the river access looked like.

It looks really good, with at least 100 yards, and probably much more of shore-line you can get to. It was an impulse stop, so I didn't have any gear, but I might have to make this a regular stop on my journey.

Has anyone ever fished there? Will I go to jail if I try (some arcane law about fishing at rest stops)?

T
TTFishon
Anyfishisfine said:
I have a son down at U of O, so I make that trip every week or 2, and today stopped off at the rest stop just south of Salem to see what the river access looked like.

It looks really good, with at least 100 yards, and probably much more of shore-line you can get to. It was an impulse stop, so I didn't have any gear, but I might have to make this a regular stop on my journey.

Has anyone ever fished there? Will I go to jail if I try (some arcane law about fishing at rest stops)?

I've never fished there but sometimes I work near there and I see people fishing there all the time. There's a boat ramp on the southbound side and that's where I always see people fishing. Good luck.

A
Anyfishisfine
Google maps link for context:
I-5 Santiam river access

The water was much higher today than it shows in Google Maps. The water was flowing through the trees on the north bank west of the bridge.

There is also a lot more shoreline than I thought. I'll defiantly give this a shot and report back.

18406ej
18406ej
I have fished there in the summer when the local ponds get too warm. Had several bites but never locked into anything. Lots of trout that I saw in the river. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

J
joeyota
Just make sure you have your steel-head tag. I almost got a ticket there a few years back. I didn't check the regs and the staters showed up. I seen all kinds of other people fishing there so I gave it a try without a second thought.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Steelhead rest there too

Steelhead rest there too

Anyfishisfine said:

Anyfishisfine;
That is one of my favorite areas to get away from the crowds. There are some good seams through there for some nice big fish. I watched a nice big steelhead about 38" swim very leisurely between the bank and the bridge support. You can walk down past the boat ramp and find some fair spots. The OSP patrol it and I've talked to them three or four times without any problems about being there. Let us know how you do if you take your fishing gear next time. Be safe.
Barb

A
Anyfishisfine
joeyota said:
Just make sure you have your steel-head tag. I almost got a ticket there a few years back. I didn't check the regs and the staters showed up. I seen all kinds of other people fishing there so I gave it a try without a second thought.

I finally got a chance to try it out today, and you are right, a trooper was right there checking my tag. I was only there about 45 minutes. Said hi to a smolt is all.